Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Preston

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Listen to Chris Hughton's post-match interview. He states we were beaten by a team who played much better than what we did and deserved to win. Hopefully this is a very small minor blip on our road for the rest of the season.

I'm pretty sure I didn't hear the word 'much' ............. played better on the day, yes. And of course, Chris is a gentleman, and doesn't do mealy-mouthed post-match interviews.

The stats, and the commentator's/summariser's comments, suggest it was closer than 2-0, and really it was just one of those days when the ball just wouldn't go in the net for us - surely as evidenced by the missed penalty.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmmm not so sure , maybe potential. But a top of the table team shouldn't be starting a rookie player like that in a tough away game.
Which of our players would you rather have played out of position at LB instead of Canadian Sam?

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Hmmmm not so sure , maybe potential. But a top of the table team shouldn't be starting a rookie player like that in a tough away game

Kayal was the only bright spot for me

He is our 4th choice left back and we have just been unlucky that the 3 in front of him are not fit.What do you expect? 10 top class left backs in the squad?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He is our 4th choice left back and we have just been unlucky that the 3 in front of him are not fit.What do you expect? 10 top class left backs in the squad?
......and bearing in mind that according to some who were watching he was close to being MOTM we're maybe actually quite lucky to have so many good left backs!

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
This was the first live Albion game that I've been able to get to this season (It was the first time I've been able to see Albion play live since I went to both play offs versus Sheffield Wednesday.

We were weakened today by team changes. Stephens was missed and I assume Kayal was not deemed fit enough to start. Where was March?

Stockdale 5 - flaky with the goals, otherwise ok. I thought from the start heis attention was diverted by watching Goldson. They didn't look like an integrated unit.

Goldson 3 - the weak link. Off the pace and poor positional play. Improved as the game went on. Dire at the start.

Duffy 6 - ok but in a poor defensive unit which seemed to have poor communication.

Adekugbe 6 promising going forward and willing to give it a go with some good passes. Much better in offence than defence.

Bruno 6.5 I didn't think he was so bad. He never stopped running and was in the thick of everything.

Norwood 5.5 - lacks real class for me

Sidwell 6 showed some grit and determination

Skalak 4 made little real contribution

Knockaert 6.5 lots of bits of flair but no real substance.

Baldock 5 played out of it

Murray 5 ok and made a nuisance of himself but should have done better a couple of times. Lots of niggly fouls. Will be sent off if not careful. This ref was less inclined to use his cards than some

Kayal 7 added energy into game. We could have got a better result if he had been on much earlier.

Hemed 5.5 Reasonable performance apart from penalty miss

Murphy 6 OK and won the penalty

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Re Goldson - he's looked off the pace this season TBH. Very difficult to come in for the odd game here and there but he's not been that great when he has compared to how good he was last season. Apparently he was fuming that he'd lost his place in the starting line-up with the Duffy signing - he's not done anything to justify that though, when he has played.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Re Goldson - he's looked off the pace this season TBH. Very difficult to come in for the odd game here and there but he's not been that great when he has compared to how good he was last season. Apparently he was fuming that he'd lost his place in the starting line-up with the Duffy signing - he's not done anything to justify that though, when he has played.

Uwe looked better last week too.....

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I thought Adekugbe had a splendid game, overall Bruno and Knocky were :facepalm::facepalm: and sadly the latter has been below par for some time.

Still, we're in a great position.

I do find amusing any suggestion that Stockers might have done better with the goals. Not for me Clive.

Murray worked hard.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I did not see the game so my comments might be seen as not qualified. I would guess we missed Dunk more than some people expected, not just be cause of his defensive work but because often he has been the main (only) person driving the game forward via his passing from the back, his surging runs and the fact he seems to play as the man in front of the back 4. i.e. he is often up field making tackles that you would expect the holding midfielder to do. Stephens would be person to fill some of this role in his absence and of course he was not there either.

Not sure why Kayal did not play from the start, he was immense against MKDONS , I guess CH still concerned about his fitness and was thinking more about the bigger picture.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
It was always going to be tough and with 3 regulars out of the team I was hoping for a draw, but hopefully we can forget this blip and crack on from now onwards!
I do worry about Bruno a bit, as of late he looks off the pace and does seem to be getting beaten a fair bit at the back,
And I'm not using Skalak as the new hate figure he really has been poor since the Norwich game, and I don't think we look very good when he stafts it's when he comes off we score goals and play well.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I thought Adekugbe had a splendid game, overall Bruno and Knocky were :facepalm::facepalm: and sadly the latter has been below par for some time.

Still, we're in a great position.

I do find amusing any suggestion that Stockers might have done better with the goals. Not for me Clive.

Murray worked hard.
Yes knocky has been way off par since his dad passed away and maybe it's time that Murphy and March had a good run out as both also can score and create unlike the lacklustre skalak who doesn't of late.
Bruno is no spring chicken and Rosenior would be ideal at this time as Bruno may need a rest as he works his socks off.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I'm surprised that people think Adekugbe's performance warrants criticism. For a full debut in a hostile away game he done all that could have been asked of him. He didn't go missing, offered something going forward and was clearly targeted by the Preston forwards. No criticism from me.
I think an inherent problem in the defence yesterday was that Duffy was shifted to the left CB position to compensate for Goldson, so we seemed unsettled and disjointed almost regardless of the personnel.
Kayal looked great when he came on, and Murray put a shift in against a couple of lumpy centre backs, but we didn't look like a top of the table team at any point I'm afraid. Might be positive in a sense that it will serve as a reminder to the players (and plenty of us on here) that there is still a awful long way to go.
Hughton seemed livid when I looked over a him at about the 80 minutes mark, really animated for someone who usually keeps his composure so well, and that felt strangely reassuring.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I'm surprised that people think Adekugbe's performance warrants criticism. For a full debut in a hostile away game he done all that could have been asked of him. He didn't go missing, offered something going forward and was clearly targeted by the Preston forwards. No criticism from me.
I think an inherent problem in the defence yesterday was that Duffy was shifted to the left CB position to compensate for Goldson, so we seemed unsettled and disjointed almost regardless of the personnel.
Kayal looked great when he came on, and Murray put a shift in against a couple of lumpy centre backs, but we didn't look like a top of the table team at any point I'm afraid. Might be positive in a sense that it will serve as a reminder to the players (and plenty of us on here) that there is still a awful long way to go.
Hughton seemed livid when I looked over a him at about the 80 minutes mark, really animated for someone who usually keeps his composure so well, and that felt strangely reassuring.

Totally agree. What was a concern was the number of overhit passes/crosses from the same players time after time. Glenn had a great game, both upfront and in defence, particularly as he seemed to be the only one organising the defence for set pieces. Needed more captains on the field, we didn't look organised at times.

But onwards and upwards - two home games, Lewis Dunk returns and I'm sure Beram will feature more.

Oh and 2-0 down, yes I do give a **** - we're Brighton & Hove Albion and we should be going up......

UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here