Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JCLs to be upgraded

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What does the "F" stand for in JCFL. Is it the obvious, as in something that would get altered/asterisked if I wrote it here?

And would there be any plans to increase the capacity? Would that be on at all without ruining the lines of our intrinsically beautiful stadium?

this please ? i keep reading it as Jonny Come Football League !

I also had to google Devon Loch

plus, do as Yoda says

I would have thought it was pretty clear. Think 'Anglo Saxon adjective.'

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I haven't got a problem with JCFLs. I've got more of a problem with Sussex people going up to London to watch the big Prem clubs than I have of Sussex people that decide to pledge their allegiance to the Albion once they reach the top flight.
Why? Surely it's no worse than someone going from Worthing, Lewes, Eastbourne, Horsham, Crawley, etc down to Brighton? Those people too have turned their backs on their local clubs in order to support a bigger one. And every single one of the, perfectly valid, reasons they can give for choosing to support Brighton over their local team are exactly the same reasons as people give when asked why they support London Prem sides and not Brighton.

It seems the 'you should support your local club' rule only goes one way.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Why? Surely it's no worse than someone going from Worthing, Lewes, Eastbourne, Horsham, Crawley, etc down to Brighton? Those people too have turned their backs on their local clubs in order to support a bigger one. And every single one of the, perfectly valid, reasons they can give for choosing to support Brighton over their local team are exactly the same reasons as people give when asked why they support London Prem sides and not Brighton.

That's a valid point. Perhaps there should be a "catchment area" system in place as there is for when you select your childrens' school choice. Within a certain radius is acceptable.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That's a really good banter you did there. Well done.

Well you asked for it , If they're such a bellend why are they friends of yours on Facebook? And if it's such a crime to not speak for a long time why haven't you called them ? Or maybe these people don't exist at all and you were just playing to the NSC gallery ? I know which one my money's on.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It's already a massive bone of contention, just more amplified from when we arrived at the Amex. We all just need to develop our own coping strategies. Mine is to invite comparison between Murray with Mahoney-Johnson...and if they look puzzled or say anything complimentary about the latter I know they're a fraud and I just walk away with a look of utter contemptious disgust on my face...!

Those that didn't desert during the war years, know is OUR time! Rub their faces in it, remind them of their JCL status, ask if they've yet dined at local Italian 'bellotti's, what time Focus DIY opens....and MOCK mercilessly! For we were there when we were shit! Mostly because we gave a s hit too! And it was an open house, nothing prevented them from attending back then. Unless of course you weren't born or were too young in wish case I might let them off. Might...;)

When does a JCL stop being a JCL? I became hooked just towards the very end of the Withdean era. Having studiously done my research into this amazing club since then, I feel I have a better knowledge than most of those who didn't witness first hand the dark years, and I still reflect with a mixture of shame and awe on those who lived through those times, stuck by the club and saved it from destruction. I've had a relatively cushy time since then as an Albion supporter, the biggest traumas so far being the Hyypia season, and last season's bitter-sweet finale, but I genuinely believe that nothing would induce me to change allegiances now - there is so much more to this club than just (usually, obviously not now) mediocre football and a nice ground. Am I allowed to not be a JCL any more?

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
When does a JCL stop being a JCL? I became hooked just towards the very end of the Withdean era. Having studiously done my research into this amazing club since then, I feel I have a better knowledge than most of those who didn't witness first hand the dark years, and I still reflect with a mixture of shame and awe on those who lived through those times, stuck by the club and saved it from destruction. I've had a relatively cushy time since then as an Albion supporter, the biggest traumas so far being the Hyypia season, and last season's bitter-sweet finale, but I genuinely believe that nothing would induce me to change allegiances now - there is so much more to this club than just (usually, obviously not now) mediocre football and a nice ground. Am I allowed to not be a JCL any more?

We're in the same boat

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Bloke behind me has 3 season tickets and honestly has only ever shown up for two cup games against Arsenal, all play off matches and the 3-0 home to Palace. Unfortunately should we go up, I'm sure the fat tw*t will turn up for a few matches with his kids that don't want to watch Brighton anyway.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Spot on , i take this disapproval also extends to people born in England who support India, Pakistan, West indies etc [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] ?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If you check attendance histories, most clubs gain 7-12k fans on promotion to top flight. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the Amex is pretty rammed already.

I don't mind when they all hop on, it's when they get off that it riles me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I wouldn't count any regular at Withdean as a JCL!! Good lord man, you've early your Spurs sat out in the elements with no prospect of a new stadium anytime soon...enter Tony Bloom stage right however...!!! :)

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I wouldn't count any regular at Withdean as a JCL!! Good lord man, you've early your Spurs sat out in the elements with no prospect of a new stadium anytime soon...enter Tony Bloom stage right however...!!! :)

Rumbled! Talking about Spurs. Just slipped out did it? Get that man on the banned list.

:wink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rumbled! Talking about Spurs. Just slipped out did it? Get that man on the banned list.

:wink:

Damn you Sir! And auto-correct text. New stadium looks good mind...;)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

Problem is they don't actually support these so called top prem clubs.....They just sit at home or go to the pub and that's being generous.Its a pathetic scenario of these inbreds wanting a good image buy pretending to follow a big prem club in which they have no affiliation with what's so ever.

These types grind me big time as football is about your roots and following your home town club etc etc....Not supporting a northern club you have no affiliation with what's so ever....pathetic.

To summarise things....
They supported the big clubs while at school for image reasons as supporting Brighton wasn't fashionable sadly....Most have never been to see their so called club play and even worse they have kids who are manipulated into following these so called big clubs.

Thankfully we won't have many of these at the Amex as the ground isn't big enough and season tickets have sold out:lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I first saw Albion in 1987, I was born and grew up in the Hastings area and have always followed and watched both my hometown non-league club and Albion and became really extra hooked on Albion in 1996 as I lived in Brighton for 2 years. I've seen Albion at all 4 home grounds, but because I lived abroad for two and a bit years up until 2012, I didn't go to The Amex for the first time until well into 2012, and became a season ticket holder as soon as I could after that. So am I a JCL and a traitor to my local non-league team, even though I still follow and watch Hastings occasionally, despite being Sussex born and raised?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Local being the key word there. All places you listed are still local to the biggest place and team in the catchment area. Everybody knows Brighton as a place, nearly everyone would have visited numerous times in their life, probably even born there.

To suggest that someone from Worthing supporting Brighton is no worse than a local cretin who supports some hateful conglomerate shithouse like manchester united, 5 hours a way, is bordering on the absurd.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

No, you don't understand! (full confession time, "bless me father, I have sinned" etc, god it feels good to unburden this load) - it really was the end of the Withdean era - the second half of the final season to be precise, the football was good, we were getting promoted, the new stadium was nearly completed, and the weather wasn't too bad. Talk about jumping on the bandwagon! By the way, I'm not a man.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good news for all JCL fans. You are on the verge of being upgraded to a higher category of Albion fan.

There is a new kid on the block aiming for a place at the bottom of the pile. The JCFL.

This type - one of whom I had the misfortune to encounter/listen to last night - is "going to get a season ticket for Brighton next season if they go up". This statement will usually be followed by an analysis of the merits of "being able to rock up at The Amex" compared to the current expense/difficulty of following their PL team. If you have not yet met a JCFL then be assured you will do in the coming months.

On a serious note. Presumably/hopefully the JCFLs are actually going to find it much harder than they realise to get tickets, let alone STs, next season if we do go up - which is a nice thought.
Are you a JCL? It happened when we went to the top flight before, the Cup final, recently Arsenal in the cup, play off final. It's always going to happen just surprised you have never noticed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No, you don't understand! (full confession time, "bless me father, I have sinned" etc, god it feels good to unburden this load) - it really was the end of the Withdean era - the second half of the final season to be precise, the football was good, we were getting promoted, the new stadium was nearly completed, and the weather wasn't too bad. Talk about jumping on the bandwagon! By the way, I'm not a man.

You get off for being a girl in that case. Well done for leaving kittens or knitting class to join world of football ;)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here