The Crescent
The Dyke
The Ladies Mile
The Westbourne
The Prestonville
The Blind Busker
The Market

and if The Regency Tavern warrants a place so must The Seafield

I'm sure The Allen Arms had gone well before 2013, how did that make the list? Hasn't the Constant Service gone now too? One addition since then is The Bevy, which is a wonderful pub - my top choice

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doesn't it just involve people nominating a pub, and that pub being seconded in order for it to be included in the competition? Then form groups from the nominees and let the voting commence.

Or I can see if I've got time to get a new trophy this week and drop it into the BoT pre-match on Saturday, and just cut out all the huffing and puffing that normally takes place first.

Thus rendering the trophy worthless.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
If The Stanley was on the last long list then it's Brighton, Hove and Portslade. On that note an honorable mention to The Railway on Boundary Road. I foresaw that falling flat on its face but I was wrong. They've done a great job on it and its now a treasured local. Not sure I can claim its the best in the whole city but three cheers for decent beer and a welcoming atmosphere in a place that is chiefly making its money from families eating.

And I'd like to say nice things about THE CYCLIST on the station. Always been good when I've popped in before or after matches. It's even getting some TOILETS soon so I'm told.

Agree on the Railway. Also had a brief visit to the Noble House on Portland Road, vast improvement on the Jamaica as-was (imho).

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The North Laine, shurely? Good food and some truly excellent beers, brewed on site.

A great example of a pub that's far, far better than its original incarnation: The Gloucester. A bag o' crisps, pickled eggs in a jar sort of place, IIRC .

albionite

May 20, 2009
The Allen Arms
The Alibi
The Ancient Mariner
The Basketmakers
The Battle of Trafalgar
The Bugle
The Cliftonville
The Colonnade
The Constant Service
Cooper's Cask
The Craft Beer Co
The Duke of Wellington
The Earth & Stars
The Evening Star
The Farm Tavern
The Foragers
The Freemasons
The Good Companions
The Great Eastern
The Hampton Arms
The Hand in Hand
The Heart in Hand
The Mitre
The Montpellier
The Montreal
The Lord Nelson
Northern Lights
The Prince Albert
The Ranelagh
The Regency Tavern
The Shakespeare
The Signalman
The Stanley Arms
The Station Hotel
Robin Hood
The Windmill
The World's End

Blimey we are well off aren't we.
All that lot and still several missing
The Neptune
The Victory
The Connaught
Lion & Lobster
The Crescent
The Dyke
The Ladies Mile
The Westbourne
The Prestonville
The Blind Busker
The Market

and if The Regency Tavern warrants a place so must The Seafield

Was going to say where is lion and lobster on this list. One of the best pubs in Brighton and not even in the running.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This is because they're all being taken over by Drink In Brighton or Indigo and homogenised.

This. I am boycotting all Indigo establishments at the moment. May extend to Drink in Brighton too, it is really boring have so many pubs that are basically the same.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The North Laine, shurely? Good food and some truly excellent beers, brewed on site.

A great example of a pub that's far, far better than its original incarnation: The Gloucester. A bag o' crisps, pickled eggs in a jar sort of place, IIRC .

Christ, that is fighting talk. You're talking about a massive part of my social life's history right there, now replaced by a boring, identikit modern pub by numbers: overpriced food, sour DIY craft beer that's one small step up from the homebrew I made with a kit from Boots when I was 16. Outside. :0)

Anyway - might not be everyone's cup of tea as it's certainly a bit poncey but Hove Place should merit a mention as the beer garden's nice and it does a nice pint of Harveys.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

What are we doing then? Nominations and seconds? There is no point entering every pub in Brighton surely?

I would like to nominate the Albert, Craft Beer Co, Brighton Beer Dispensary and The Evening Star.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I nominate The Bottom's Rest. Great little pub. A few nice ales, very nice staff, good layout, tucked behind Western Road towards the sea front, round the back of TOM theatre. Also seems to attract BHA fans, had many a good conversation in there with strangers just from wearing my Seagulls pin badge.
Yes, a good boozer.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Christ, that is fighting talk. You're talking about a massive part of my social life's history right there, now replaced by a boring, identikit modern pub by numbers: overpriced food, sour DIY craft beer that's one small step up from the homebrew I made with a kit from Boots when I was 16. Outside. :0)

Anyway - might not be everyone's cup of tea as it's certainly a bit poncey but Hove Place should merit a mention as the beer garden's nice and it does a nice pint of Harveys.

Hmm. Hove Place. Now, I do go on there a lot, just for convenience really but the beer is very overpriced, there are loads of staff, none ever seem to be serving, preferring instead to lurk in the garden and shooing punters away from every single table because they are all reserved. A total bin really.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This. I am boycotting all Indigo establishments at the moment. May extend to Drink in Brighton too, it is really boring have so many pubs that are basically the same.

Thank f*ck it's not just me.

They all have a very similar ale selection (which, by the way, are the cheapest they can find), and charge more than other pubs for them. They tend to stock loads of pale ales and often nothing else. I've seen 5 Pale ales in the Prince George and 7 (seven) in the Good Companions with no alternatives. And they all have the same shiny tables and decor.

I appreciate not everyone is a Harveys boy like me, but there's such a lack of Harveys in Brighton now as these companies refuse to stock premium products.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I was tempted with the Brewdog, but they don't do cask. Luckily Brighton is stocked with good 'old boozers such as The Nelson, Evening Star (even the Albion in Hove). I'm going to try out The Craft Beer Company this weekend, looks good.

Agree about Hove Place. The gardens are nice, but interior reminds me of an airport lounge bar and it is very expensive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I nominate The Bottom's Rest. Great little pub. A few nice ales, very nice staff, good layout, tucked behind Western Road towards the sea front, round the back of TOM theatre. Also seems to attract BHA fans, had many a good conversation in there with strangers just from wearing my Seagulls pin badge.
Yes, a good boozer.

When I was younger - much younger - The Hove Place was THE place to go if you fancied shagging a coked up forty something divorcee. Apparently that's Misty's now.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

What are we doing then? Nominations and seconds? There is no point entering every pub in Brighton surely?

I would like to nominate the Albert, Craft Beer Co, Brighton Beer Dispensary and The Evening Star.

Seem like a good idea.

I nominate the Battle of Trafalgar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here