Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But there is another solution. How about separating the majors for men and women (like golf etc) and hold them at different times of the year. Then they can have whatever officials they want and best of all whatever they generate in revenue will dictate how much to pay the players. In truth, we all know the women’s game would generate a lot less revenue if this happened!

Don't let facts like that distract the moaning.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So J K Rowling says this cartoon is racist and people are losing their shit over it.

Seems spot on.

0910-serena-williams-drawing-cartoon-twitter-3.jpg

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Can you imagine any other sport where the players reacted in the way tennis players do to officials .

Speaks volumes imo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So J K Rowling says this cartoon is racist and people are losing their shit over it.

Seems spot on.
I agree with the sentiment of the cartoon but am uncomfortable with it playing up to the "sambo" cartoon sterotypes, making her out to be some sort of hefty mama with absolutely massive lips.

Just the sort of lack of sensitivity you might expect from an Australian though - it would have been a much better cartoon had the artist avoided that.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I agree with the sentiment of the cartoon but am uncomfortable with it playing up to the "sambo" cartoon sterotypes, making her out to be some sort of hefty mama with absolutely massive lips.

Just the sort of lack of sensitivity you might expect from an Australian though - it would have been a much better cartoon had the artist avoided that.

Actually he draws many of his characters with pronounced lips. It's his caricature style.

DEHLcHUV0AEpG6E.jpg

Even thin lipped people can get the treatment.

Bz8ThfZCQAEPBFV.jpg

She is a hefty woman with big lips however. Isn't that physically obvious?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Actually he draws many of his characters with pronounced lips. It's his caricature style.
Even thin lipped people can get the treatment.
Er, there is ONE character out of four with big lips in that drawing. So no, that isn't "many".

She is a hefty woman with big lips however. Isn't that physically obvious?
That's not the question you need to ask. Does she have bigger lips than other black people? Not really. So therefore exaggerating the size of her lips is a racial stereotype. I won't argue with regard to her hefty size.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I typed a long post starting a new thread on this cartoon - luckily it crashed! anyway the gist of it is that any caricature exaggerates features, cue Gary Liniker's ears, Jagger's lips, Trump's orange skin and silly hair. I don't see how he could have drawn her otherwise. She is large and stocky, she is black and she was going mad breaking a racquet.

Surly any and all caricatures are unsympathetic and poke fun.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I typed a long post starting a new thread on this cartoon - luckily it crashed! anyway the gist of it is that any caricature exaggerates features, cue Gary Liniker's ears, Jagger's lips, Trump's orange skin and silly hair. I don't see how he could have drawn her otherwise. She is large and stocky, she is black and she was going mad breaking a racquet.

Surly any and all caricatures are unsympathetic and poke fun.

By drawing thin lips and giving her a falsely slim body, to appease those looking for any spippet of offence.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Er, there is ONE character out of four with big lips in that drawing. So no, that isn't "many".

And you completely ignore the single image drawn with huge lips. Well done you.

That's not the question you need to ask. Does she have bigger lips than other black people? Not really. So therefore exaggerating the size of her lips is a racial stereotype. I won't argue with regard to her hefty size.

Do you even understand how caricatures work?

Exaggerating prominent features is literally the basis of that drawing style.

If someone was going to caricature the shape of her face her nose and lips are the most prominent features of HER face.

Yes he could draw a more flattering caricature, the point I believe was to make her seem ugly because her behaviour was ugly.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm afraid white males can't win on this one. If we call it as we see it, we're going to be accused of being racist and/or sexist. Somehow Williams imagines she was standing up for women by ranting at an umpire for applying rules and playing the 'I've just had a daughter' card - which isn't sexist in itself? How did Naomi Osaka's rights not to have her first Grand Slam victory overshadowed by Serena's hissy fits play into the whole Williams entitlement thing?

The first time I reported on Serena Williams was on Wimbledon court 16, when she retired injured when a set and 4-1 down to Virginie Ruano Pascual (no, me neither). The injury hadn't been that obvious, as I remember, and she insisted that she would have won otherwise. Somehow she recovered enough to win the mixed doubles title with Max Myrni. The upshot was that I've always seen her as a bad loser (not that she's had much practice, to be fair) and a poor sport and very little has ever happened to make me change my mind. When she loses it's because the world is against her. Venus I've always found to be distant but not unpleasant, although the international tennis media find them both hard to like. A very well-known tennis writer once said to me: 'If only they weren't black, then we could write what we really think about them.'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm afraid white males can't win on this one. If we call it as we see it, we're going to be accused of being racist and/or sexist. Somehow Williams imagines she was standing up for women by ranting at an umpire for applying rules and playing the 'I've just had a daughter' card - which isn't sexist in itself? How did Naomi Osaka's rights not to have her first Grand Slam victory overshadowed by Serena's hissy fits play into the whole Williams entitlement thing?

The first time I reported on Serena Williams was on Wimbledon court 16, when she retired injured when a set and 4-1 down to Virginie Ruano Pascual (no, me neither). The injury hadn't been that obvious, as I remember, and she insisted that she would have won otherwise. Somehow she recovered enough to win the mixed doubles title with Max Myrni. The upshot was that I've always seen her as a bad loser (not that she's had much practice, to be fair) and a poor sport and very little has ever happened to make me change my mind. When she loses it's because the world is against her. Venus I've always found to be distant but not unpleasant, although the international tennis media find them both hard to like. A very well-known tennis writer once said to me: 'If only they weren't black, then we could write what we really think about them.'

The clincher is that Williams has in the past badly abused female officials at the US Open.

So the common factor is simply that of a sore loser.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Good read by Russell Fuller, BBC tennis correspondent who criticizes USTA president Katrina Adams and WTA's chief exec Steve Simon:

"Vested interest is rife in tennis. Conflicts of interest abound. Adams has a relationship to protect with Williams. Simon is looking out - in purely business terms - for the WTA's biggest commercial asset."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45477131

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Lucky for us we've won pretty much everything else throughout history eh?

It is, and in a way it is only fair if the pendulum swings the other way. But on the other hand, I know I have no chance of a committee post on a professional body I belong to because they want to go younger and more racially diverse and have more women represented. But it's not my fault they only picked white males before though, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here