NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Weird how these guys are using a third of the world's resources with such modest meals.

I was in 'murca over the weekend. I was in Erie, PA, and had a few hours to kill on Saturday afternoon. I was thinking I'd go out for a walk, explore the city a bit. I ended up not bothering because it soon became apparent there weren't any pavements anywhere. Lots of wide, multi-lane roads but nowhere for pedestrians to walk. People were just driving their massive trucks and SUVs between giant car parks in front of shops and (mainly fast food) restaurants.

We went to Olive Garden to get nutritional, high-carb meal as my friend was running a marathon the next morning. We got there and realised every other person running the marathon had the same idea, so there was a 45 minute wait to get a table. I think that just highlighted the lack of restaurants which didn't just serve deep fried junk food. Of course that was EXACTLY what my friend wanted after the marathon, so no problem there!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I was in 'murca over the weekend. I was in Erie, PA, and had a few hours to kill on Saturday afternoon. I was thinking I'd go out for a walk, explore the city a bit. I ended up not bothering because it soon became apparent there weren't any pavements anywhere. Lots of wide, multi-lane roads but nowhere for pedestrians to walk. People were just driving their massive trucks and SUVs between giant car parks in front of shops and (mainly fast food) restaurants.

We went to Olive Garden to get nutritional, high-carb meal as my friend was running a marathon the next morning. We got there and realised every other person running the marathon had the same idea, so there was a 45 minute wait to get a table. I think that just highlighted the lack of restaurants which didn't just serve deep fried junk food. Of course that was EXACTLY what my friend wanted after the marathon, so no problem there!

It's very difficult for families on limited incomes to eat healthily in the States because fast food / junk food is so plentiful and cheap in comparison to healthier options. It's not impossible with stores like Walmart and Costco who carry alternative, healthier foods at more affordable prices - but some cities like NYC ban Walmart because of their anti-union stance and Costco charges $50 a year to be a member. I sometimes wonder of it will ever really change.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If it's not Pukka, BG's not having it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's very difficult for families on limited incomes to eat healthily in the States because fast food / junk food is so plentiful and cheap in comparison to healthier options. It's not impossible with stores like Walmart and Costco who carry alternative, healthier foods at more affordable prices - but some cities like NYC ban Walmart because of their anti-union stance and Costco charges $50 a year to be a member. I sometimes wonder of it will ever really change.

It seems unlikely as Americans are so stubbornly resistant to change. Cars, and especially trucks, look almost the same as they did 50 years ago. The same with things like appliances. There's been no interest in using the metric system for anything. They still use those horrible dollar bills, and I don't think the money has changed for years. Plus I had to sign every time I used my credit card. Crossing the border from Canada to the US felt like I was stepping back in time.

Obviously it's a bit different in the major cities. There is at least some attempt to modernise. I just find it strange that the (supposedly) most powerful country in the world is so resistant to moving with the times.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It seems unlikely as Americans are so stubbornly resistant to change. Cars, and especially trucks, look almost the same as they did 50 years ago. The same with things like appliances. There's been no interest in using the metric system for anything. They still use those horrible dollar bills, and I don't think the money has changed for years. Plus I had to sign every time I used my credit card. Crossing the border from Canada to the US felt like I was stepping back in time.

Obviously it's a bit different in the major cities. There is at least some attempt to modernise. I just find it strange that the (supposedly) most powerful country in the world is so resistant to moving with the times.

Stubborn is an understatement! We do it this way because we always have. To add to your list they refuse to use the 24 hour clock ( a real pain having to check flight tickets for am / pm) and I've just got a chip and pin credit card from my bank - but there is no PIN, so now there's less security than before as they just swipe it - no signature or PIN !

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Company I used to work for had offices all over the world but every f*****g time some "douche bag" from NY or SF would try to set a meeting or write anything in date format it would be in the idiotic month/day/year format and someone had to ask for confirmation whether they wanted to meet on the 4th September or 9th April etc.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
mmmmm :D

The Arizona Cardinals’ Gridiron Burger costs $75. But it’s actually pretty good value when you consider it weighs 7lbs and contains five beef patties, five hot dogs, eight slices of bacon, 20 slices of cheese and heaps of fries and chicken tenders. The company behind it say they’re not sure how many calories the burger contains but the figure ‘has a lot of zeroes after it’. [emoji38]

View attachment 100453

more NFL food here : https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2018/sep/08/nfl-stadium-food-2018
Just how am I supposed to shove all that in my gob?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Company I used to work for had offices all over the world but every f*****g time some "douche bag" from NY or SF would try to set a meeting or write anything in date format it would be in the idiotic month/day/year format and someone had to ask for confirmation whether they wanted to meet on the 4th September or 9th April etc.

Also, most of the civilized world uses A4 and A3 as agreed paper sizes - not the USA, they use some wanky imperial equivalents. So I got caught out when I printed off my match ticket for an Albion game last year which wouldn't scan when I got to the ground. Not the Albion's fault as they said A4 on the printing instructions, I just hadn't read it. They let me in OK - but still irritating.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Also, most of the civilized world uses A4 and A3 as agreed paper sizes - not the USA, they use some wanky imperial equivalents. So I got caught out when I printed off my match ticket for an Albion game last year which wouldn't scan when I got to the ground. Not the Albion's fault as they said A4 on the printing instructions, I just hadn't read it. They let me in OK - but still irritating.

Oh yes, unfortunately that's one of things I have to deal with here too. I still forget whether I'm supposed to pick "Legal" or "Letter" as the paper size when I'm printing something. I've also been doing a bit of DIY recently and had to figure out which one of my metric drill bits is closest in size to 3/32 of an inch or whatever.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I had this and their argument was "well obviously it's April 9th". I had to point out that they are also the only country that says their date in that stupid order... everyone else says 9th April and therefore it's a sh1t reason to justify your dates being written the wrong way round!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had this and their argument was "well obviously it's April 9th". I had to point out that they are also the only country that says their date in that stupid order... everyone else says 9th April and therefore it's a sh1t reason to justify your dates being written the wrong way round!

Sadly Canada has this problem too. That's the trouble with sharing a border with such a backwards country, some things rub off and it's quite difficult to change when you do so much trade with them.

I think the best solution is to only arrange meetings with North Americans from the 13th to the end of the month. That way there's no confusion when writing the date.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Hopefully coming to the Amex

210DE591-3073-42C2-B5E2-091A343924E7.jpeg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Sadly Canada has this problem too. That's the trouble with sharing a border with such a backwards country, some things rub off and it's quite difficult to change when you do so much trade with them.

I think the best solution is to only arrange meetings with North Americans from the 13th to the end of the month. That way there's no confusion when writing the date.

Two weeks off at the begining of every month?! Fantastic idea!

Perhaps the TUC should suggest this instead of their 4day week plan. "Post-Brexit, more trade with north america, blah blah ... 2 week month." More convincing argument than their one for a 4day week!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here