Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Norwich steward sunk to a new "world" stupidity level today

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am in the camp that stewards need to show some common sense. At the Amex - ESL - if you bring a bag they will confiscate those little deodorants - as they nay be used as missiles. But if you have not got a bag you are not searched and your coat pockets could be stuffed with the things. It makes no sense.

its a valid point,there is no reason to confiscate little deodorants,are they even on the banned list?

it seems odd that the authorities claim to be able to catch anyone on cctv doing something wrong in the ground yet you taking in some mini BO bash causes a problem.

There is common sense and then there is common sense,

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good point, Ernest, or is this discrimination against Gully teddies? I think a public apology is needed if that is the case.

Psst, it's Everest, not Ernest. I'm not sure whether he'll be flattered or insulted.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
As I walked in with my 2 sons today a female red haired steward requested to body search my youngest's Gully teddy for hidden weapons. I laughed and said are you joking? She said no and proceeded to manhandle the poor thing before giving it back. It honestly wasn't a joke and I let her know what a stupid person she was. Unbelievable!!!

Misplaced overreaction, why bother yourself?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am in the camp that stewards need to show some common sense. At the Amex -

This common sense is not universal though is it.You can be denied stepping outside the North Stand with your beer because apparently the alcohol licence doesnt permit it .....yet you can buy a beer in the east or west and walk with it later if you wish from outside and into the North Stand and the stewards will not give a toss

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
And it still makes me cross that the stewards tried to search our then under 10 years of age children away at Cheltenham the first time we were there.

It may appear irrational to some but I am with the OP.

Queuing up at Spurs I could see everyone getting a thorough search by the turnstile. Not fancying the molesting myself, I walked passed the stewards. When called back and asked how old I was I quickly replied "15". They could do nothing at had to let me through.

I'm 20 and had been drinking all afternoon.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Has a terrorist, which is what you could have been dressed as a football fan, never used a child or childs toy to smuggle a bomb or similar into somewhere? Provided the search was polite and dignified I see no cause for complaint. Sooner that than some prat set a bomb off in the stadium.
BG, this is the best post I have seen for a while.

You are absolutely right we need to ensure the teddy bear bombs delivered via the lone wolfs of Sussex are stopped. The WSU laptop killers caused havoc last season and who knows when the south stand shoe bombers will be activated.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whatever her reason, it must have taken all of ten seconds out of your day.

Meh.
And it would have taken less than that to apply a little common sense on her part. But we must not question those in authority now must we?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It is slightly reassuring however that the fine people of NSC are capable of taking what would appear to be an innocuous event and turning it into a binfest civil rights issue.........i wouldnt have it any other way :whistle:

i fully expect Godwins Law to make an irrational early appearance.
This country is getting more like nazi Germany every day...etc

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
The OP's reaction to all this makes me side with the steward. He's obviously got short fuse and probably has had a scrap or 2 in his time. The fact is there are people out there who will use children to help them try and commit/conceal crimes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
does it really need to be explained. the reason he is miffed is because gully and two little nippers hardly look threatening, or maybe in your eyes they do.
again you need to be gifted with common sense to be able to understand this.

Storm in a teacup in this case. It must of taken only a few seconds and what harm has it done ?

As for the assumption kids automatically mean a well behaved set of people, that's rubbish. At Withdean I was involved in an incident where numerous fans complained of two men using foul and abusive language. It ended up it was actually their eight year old daughters. They were only allowed to stay in the ground on the understanding that the moment it continued they would be ejected. The excuse from the fathers ? 'Oh, they're only kids. You're just a power hungry steward'. Oh, I wasn't wearing hi-vis so it can't have been that that made me 'power hungry'.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
it is just a shocking way society has become.. infringement's on someone's liberty for no apparent reason other than being a right blo*dy job's worth.

What infringements are these then ? When you buy a ticket you enter a contract. That contract allows the host club to search anyone and their belongings as they enter the ground. You have a choice to buy that ticket or not - hardly an infringement.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Queuing up at Spurs I could see everyone getting a thorough search by the turnstile. Not fancying the molesting myself, I walked passed the stewards. When called back and asked how old I was I quickly replied "15". They could do nothing at had to let me through.

I'm 20 and had been drinking all afternoon.

Hate to tell you but you can get searched at 15 - the regulations allow for anyone entering a football ground to be searched.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I think we should make the Fulham game a "bring a teddy day".

Fozzie-bear.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand what all the fuss is about. It is most obvious that the steward picked people at random to check as it isnt practical to check everybody. In the stewards defence I would have probably checked the same on the assumption that the easiest cover is a child.

When I smoked and the limit was 50 cigars through customs I always brought in many more and put them in my childrens bags, fortunately I was never stopped.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Specsavers are doing a 2 for 1 deal at the moment :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:

I doubt [MENTION=1585]Spicy[/MENTION] would manage to see the shop though.

Psst, it's Everest, not Ernest. I'm not sure whether he'll be flattered or insulted.
I've been called worse... but not much worse.
Insider did it once too. I didn't even get a Gully toy from the club as an apology.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here