Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posh v Albion

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nevertheless, there are plenty saying we can and should wait 'til the end of the window. There is, however, no way on earth we can wait that long.

Just to be clear, in case you are suggesting I am saying that: I'm not.

I'm saying I trust those who have a lot more information to hand, knowledge and experience to successfully make the right deals at the right times given the constraints we have to work in.

I do hope you will be attending the Fans' Forum and putting your criticisms directly to Tony Bloom. Maybe he has no idea that his direct report, David Burke, is doing such a dreadful job. Perhaps when you spell it out for him, Burke will be given the elbow and Bloom will recruit someone who can actually do the job.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I always thought pre season was about bedding the new players in....If we leave it another week we might be going into a new season with a keeper and left back who don't know their own fellow defenders and a striker making a debut in a league game. Which ever way you look at it, someone is not doing their job. It's rank bad preparation. And like someone has already said, fail to prepare, prepare to fail. The side as it stands atm is relegation fodder and I'm not sure we don't need another centre half as well. Dunk is the future but Greer is shot.....In fact all down the spine we look weak apart from Crofts in the middle. It's a worry.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, I understand your logic, and you have convinced me. But at the moment it's just you, me, Stat Brother and Ian Holloway against the world

WE WANT 5 PLAYERS NOW :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

5 quality players minimum. 5 or 6 according to Sami. No tantrums here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, I understand your logic, and you have convinced me. But at the moment it's just you, me, Stat Brother and Ian Holloway who understand the best way of recruiting

WE WANT 5 PLAYERS NOW :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:
Don't drag me into it.

I'm perfectly happy with what we've got.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whilst a lot of what you say is true. Looking at the fixtures we have potentially winnable games in August. If we have not prepared, and have a weakened squad, we could have dropped 12 points before we start and looking at our fixtures in Oct and Nov we could again lose a lot of points. To go into our first games on the basis of getting a slightly deal could prove to be folly.

You're absolutely right and it's a very fine balancing act where a matter of a few quid or a few days either way could spell success or failure. One of the reasons I suspect that DB's role is a lot more complicated than some people think.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just to be clear, in case you are suggesting I am saying that: I'm not.

I'm saying I trust those who have a lot more information to hand, knowledge and experience to successfully make the right deals at the right times given the constraints we have to work in.

I do hope you will be attending the Fans' Forum and putting your criticisms directly to Tony Bloom. Maybe he has no idea that his direct report, David Burke, is doing such a dreadful job. Perhaps when you spell it out for him, Burke will be given the elbow and Bloom will recruit someone who can actually do the job.

When is it? I am going to try to be there (again). Still, whether I'm there or not, there are plenty of fans who will be asking questions about player recruitment (or lack of it), unless, of course, we actually sign the players we need before the date the forum takes place.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're absolutely right and it's a very fine balancing act where a matter of a few quid or a few days either way could spell success or failure. One of the reasons I suspect that DB's role is a lot more complicated than some people think.

Wow! Where did that come from. Someone makes an almost identical point to me (Brighton Buzz), and you start to move your thinking in the right direction. Well, wonders will never cease.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wow! Where did that come from. Someone makes an almost identical point to me (Brighton Buzz), and you start to move your thinking in the right direction. Well, wonders will never cease.

Maybe he words it better and that's what has 'changed my thinking' ???

Our position in the league is not just about DB's squad weakening policy (thankfully).

Not really. His job (or a key part of it) is to get players in. He failed to make the signings we needed in Jan. And, so far this window, he is failing again. If you can't see that, then it's your problem.

I don't need his job description, thank you. I can clearly see what he is failing to achieve.

The manager wants 6 more players. Correction, 5 minimum. So far, we have none of these. Sami wanted time to prepare these players for the season ahead. So far, DB is falling well short of what is required.

All fair enough. My view is we are ALREADY behind target in terms of getting players in. Even if we signed 5 by end of today, it would still be a poor show IMHO.

I think you'll be surprised. Plenty still saying we can wait 'til the end of the window. We can't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe he words it better and that's what has 'changed my thinking' ???

You deliberately missed my post:

"How patronising.

To repeat my previous explanations which you obviously struggle with. We are clearly not ready for the season ahead (TBF you don't seem to be disputing this). New players need time to gel. We are ALREADY far too slow in making key signings, especially GK, LB & ST. On top of that, the Championship is probably THE most competitive league in the world. The margins between success and failure are very small. A slow start caused by poor preparation for the season ahead will therefore have a big impact on the whole season with points to make up. The club may therefore have to loosen the purse strings a little to sign players sooner, or pay more severe financial consequences with lost revenue from fewer bums on seats.

Now, I know you don't agree with me, but you should be able to understand my logic. In your words, I'm not holding my breath."

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I will try and explain this to you one last time, but to be honest, i'm not holding out much hope.

With FFP kicking in, wages are dropping as Championship teams are willing to spend less in Fees/Wages. The nearer we get to the end of the window, the more player's agents will be willing to negotiate. Add to this the loan players that will become available when premier league teams name their 25 and there will be further bargains to be had.

I am sure we could have signed Ward on the first day of the transfer window but it may well have cost 500K more than it will tomorrow and next week may be 200K less again (over a 2 year contract). Multiply this by the number of positions we are recruiting and the differences would probably fund at least a couple of Lingard style loans that could become available as a result of the premier league squads.

Nobody wants to delay the signings (we would have liked them onboard for pre-season) but if you sign your 5 players immediately the window opens at the fees/salaries demanded by the clubs/agents, then you will have no money left when the prices start dropping and loans become available. This is obviously your preferred method of recruitment.

Nobody wants to 'wait till the end of the window' FFS, it's just the way this business works. I haven't had to explain something this simply since my kids were at Junior school

How patronising.

To repeat my previous explanations which you obviously struggle with. We are clearly not ready for the season ahead (TBF you don't seem to be disputing this). New players need time to gel. We are ALREADY far too slow in making key signings, especially GK, LB & ST. On top of that, the Championship is probably THE most competitive league in the world. The margins between success and failure are very small. A slow start caused by poor preparation for the season ahead will therefore have a big impact on the whole season with points to make up. The club may therefore have to loosen the purse strings a little to sign players sooner, or pay more severe financial consequences with lost revenue from fewer bums on seats.

Now, I know you don't agree with me, but you should be able to understand my logic. In your words, I'm not holding my breath.

Both scenarios are correct but we should know by now how our club works. If we miss the boat in this window we will try and work with who we have, and then try again in the loan window.

Maybe Burke is spending too much time chasing unrealistic targets, when he should be looking at the middle of the list, not the top, that the computer prints out for him each morning :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're just repeating that you think TB should spend more to get less earlier in the window. I didn't miss it, i got bored

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well I don't think it was all doom 'n' gloom. It was just a friendly, a means for Sami to assess what he has to work worth. I doubt he cares at all that we lost. I hope however he has taken some things on board, and the game might help him see where money needs spending. That we've not spent our recent windfall, like some kid thrashing his pocket money in 5 minutes is good. Prices and wages will be falling already. A bit like buying a shirt for £30 on Wednesday when the sale starts on Saturday and you'll get it for 20...daft. :smile:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Both scenarios are correct but we should know by now how our club works. If we miss the boat in this window we will try and work with who we have, and then try again in the loan window.

Maybe Burke is spending too much time chasing unrealistic targets, when he should be looking at the middle of the list, not the top, that the computer prints out for him each morning :shrug:

Fair enough Symyjym. Whatever the reasons for the recruitment delays, I really think we as a club need to review our process. The cost (or is that lost revenue!) of failure in this area dwarfs any short-term gains IMHO.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
When we lose at home to Sheff Weds in the first game of the season, will that matter? I ask since based on what I have seen so far this season an opening day defeat looks inevitable.

Apropos of this I went to the Sheffield Wednesday forum to see what they had to say. And just grabbing the first thread: http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/215110-late-signings-again/

Short version: they haven't signed who they need to, same old story every season, when will the management ever learn, lack of pre-season will kill them etc.

I wonder what I'd find if I could be bothered to visit the other 22 boards?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're just repeating that you think TB should spend more to get less earlier in the window. I didn't miss it, i got bored

I said I had to repeat myself. Just trying to help your understanding of my POV.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Surely the list will be tailored to those who are all of affordable, suitable and willing to come to Brighton and as such top of the list is absolutely the place to start.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely the list will be tailored to those who are all of affordable, suitable and willing to come to Brighton and as such top of the list is absolutely the place to start.

TBH the FM 2008 list he uses is getting a bit out of date now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Apropos of this I went to the Sheffield Wednesday forum to see what they had to say. And just grabbing the first thread: http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/215110-late-signings-again/

Short version: they haven't signed who they need to, same old story every season, when will the management ever learn, lack of pre-season will kill them etc.

I wonder what I'd find if I could be bothered to visit the other 22 boards?

probably the same
that Sheff Weds board looks like reading a book full of bloody murders
and you thought this one was bad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here