Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posh v Albion

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Needless to say, as it stands we're a pretty long way off.

And that's what's really worrying with only two weeks until the start of the new season. We need a competitive, skilful squad to match our terrific stadium and shiny training ground.Is that too much to ask with the club having banked so much from sales lately?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody good side Peterborough.

We'll play plenty worse teams this season.
Only going down by the odd goal is pretty encouraging in the whole scheme of things.
It looks like the squads about there and settled.
Happy days are here again.

Roll on Wednesday :lol:

Now that's funny.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not impressed with today at all if I was in SH shoes now I would be on the phone to Jose to find out about Josh McCrecan or on the phone to Jacob Mellis agent as we desperately need a player to organise our midfield and direct the team as a midfield general. All the midfielders that we have are too similar and none can take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate the play

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I watched most of the game.

I wasn't impressed.

I am well aware it's a friendly, but after 2 seasons of really drab, unadventurous attacking play you would hope that the players would be using this game to attempt to do it differently this time out, I saw no evidence that we were transitioning from defense to attack with any more urgency than usual, I saw very few good forwards balls and I saw an unpleasent tendency to pass it backwards. After watching some of the fabulous football at the world cup it was certainly very jarring to go back to watching Brighton passing it around the defense before aimlessly hoofing it up the field.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I'm really not sure what everyone see's in Rohan Ince as a midfield player. He had some very good defensive displays last season, but his passing, vision and even his touch really aren't very good, especially when facing forward.
Yes of course he is a big, strong lad and made some good interceptions/last gasp tackles. But I want more than that from my midfield players!
Would much prefer to see him at centre back.

Only going down by the odd goal is pretty encouraging in the whole scheme of things.

Biggest fishing trip of the day goes to this chap..........please tell me your not serious. Lol

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you'll be surprised. Plenty still saying we can wait 'til the end of the window. We can't.

I will try and explain this to you one last time, but to be honest, i'm not holding out much hope.

With FFP kicking in, wages are dropping as Championship teams are willing to spend less in Fees/Wages. The nearer we get to the end of the window, the more player's agents will be willing to negotiate. Add to this the loan players that will become available when premier league teams name their 25 and there will be further bargains to be had.

I am sure we could have signed Ward on the first day of the transfer window but it may well have cost 500K more than it will tomorrow and next week may be 200K less again (over a 2 year contract). Multiply this by the number of positions we are recruiting and the differences would probably fund at least a couple of Lingard style loans that could become available as a result of the premier league squads.

Nobody wants to delay the signings (we would have liked them onboard for pre-season) but if you sign your 5 players immediately the window opens at the fees/salaries demanded by the clubs/agents, then you will have no money left when the prices start dropping and loans become available. This is obviously your preferred method of recruitment.

Nobody wants to 'wait till the end of the window' FFS, it's just the way this business works. I haven't had to explain something this simply since my kids were at Junior school

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

What's happening on Wednesday?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I will try and explain this to you one last time, but to be honest, i'm not holding out much hope.

With FFP kicking in, wages are dropping as Championship teams are willing to spend less in Fees/Wages. The nearer we get to the end of the window, the more player's agents will be willing to negotiate. Add to this the loan players that will become available when premier league teams name their 25 and there will be further bargains to be had.

I am sure we could have signed Ward on the first day of the transfer window but it may well have cost 500K more than it will tomorrow and next week may be 200K less (over a 2 year contract). Multiply this by the number of positions we are recruiting and the differences would probably fund at least a couple of Lingard style loans that could become available as a result of the premier league squads.

Nobody wants to delay the signings but if you sign your 5 players immediately the window opens at the fees/salaries demanded by the clubs/agents, then you will have no money left when the prices start dropping and loans become available. This is obviously you're preferred method of recruitment.

Nobody wants to 'wait till the end of the window' FFS it's business. I haven't had to explain something this simply since my kids were at Junior school

Received and understood but the danger of adopting such an approach is surely that we will then be in competition with clubs that are able to pay more than us so we end up not signing any decent players anyway? Let's see what the next two weeks brings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I am sure we could have signed Ward on the first day of the transfer window but it may well have cost 500K more than it will tomorrow and next week may be 200K less (over a 2 year contract). Multiply this by the number of positions we are recruiting and the differences would probably fund at least a couple of Lingard style loans that could become available as a result of the premier league squads.

Nobody wants to delay the signings (we would have liked them onboard for pre-season) but if you sign your 5 players immediately the window opens at the fees/salaries demanded by the clubs/agents, then you will have no money left when the prices start dropping and loans become available. This is obviously your preferred method of recruitment.

Nobody wants to 'wait till the end of the window' FFS, it's just the way this business works. I haven't had to explain something this simply since my kids were at Junior school
But we should have signed 5 players by now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Nobody wants to 'wait till the end of the window' FFS it's business. I haven't had to explain something this simply since my kids were at Junior school

How patronising.

To repeat my previous explanations which you obviously struggle with. We are clearly not ready for the season ahead (TBF you don't seem to be disputing this). New players need time to gel. We are ALREADY far too slow in making key signings, especially GK, LB & ST. On top of that, the Championship is probably THE most competitive league in the world. The margins between success and failure are very small. A slow start caused by poor preparation for the season ahead will therefore have a big impact on the whole season with points to make up. The club may therefore have to loosen the purse strings a little to sign players sooner, or pay more severe financial consequences with lost revenue from fewer bums on seats.

Now, I know you don't agree with me, but you should be able to understand my logic. In your words, I'm not holding my breath.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That isn't what he said.

Nevertheless, there are plenty saying we can and should wait 'til the end of the window. There is, however, no way on earth we can wait that long.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How patronising.

To repeat my previous explanations which you obviously struggle with. We are clearly not ready for the season ahead (TBF you don't seem to be disputing this). New players need time to gel. We are ALREADY far too slow in making key signings, especially GK, LB & ST. On top of that, the Championship is probably THE most competitive league in the world. The margins between success and failure are very small. A slow start caused by poor preparation for the season ahead will therefore have a big impact on the whole season with points to make up. The club may therefore have to loosen the purse strings a little to sign players sooner, or pay more severe financial consequences with lost revenue from fewer bums on seats.

Now, I know you don't agree with me, but you should be able to understand my logic. In your words, I'm not holding my breath.

No, I understand your logic, and you have convinced me. But at the moment it's just you, me, Stat Brother and Ian Holloway who understand the best way of recruiting

WE WANT 5 PLAYERS NOW :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Whilst a lot of what you say is true. Looking at the fixtures we have potentially winnable games in August. If we have not prepared, and have a weakened squad, we could have dropped 12 points before we start and looking at our fixtures in Oct and Nov we could again lose a lot of points. To go into our first games on the basis of getting a slightly deal could prove to be folly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here