Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Or perhaps amateur aviation is/was his hobby. It was a longish night flight for a lone pilot in a small and not very fast plane, so maybe he was just enjoying a chance to have a lesson/co-pilot the flight? Just a(nother) thought................. because none of us really have a clue.

It's a single engine plane, at 5,000ft (so uncontrolled airspace), in the dark, flying VFR. Given the distance, this is not a straight forward, jump-in-a-plane-and-go flight. Call me old-fashioned, but if I have to navigate by landmarks on the ground and look out of the window so as not to hit anything coming the other way, I'd personally prefer to do that in daylight (disclaimer... I have only had a few lessons... I wouldn't even attempt this is daylight!).

This is not a flight you'd do unless you were an experienced pilot.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
It's a single engine plane, at 5,000ft (so uncontrolled airspace), in the dark, flying VFR. Given the distance, this is not a straight forward, jump-in-a-plane-and-go flight. Call me old-fashioned, but if I have to navigate by landmarks on the ground and look out of the window so as not to hit anything coming the other way, I'd personally prefer to do that in daylight (disclaimer... I have only had a few lessons... I wouldn't even attempt this is daylight!).

You’ve made a few incorrect assumptions here unfortunately.

Firstly the airspace in question is not uncontrolled, the airspace around the Channel Islands is within the Brest FIR and is within the Channel Islands CTR from surface to FL80. North of this is the Q41 airway within the London FIR which is controlled from F35. Given that the pilot asked for a descent from 5000ft and was speaking to Jersey ATC, he would have been under a Radar control Service.

In addition there is nothing to suggest that the aircraft was flying VFR. Piper Malibu is perfectly capable of flying IFR and indeed has sophisticated satelite based nav equipment.

Nantes to Cardiff is certainly a fair old journey in a single engines plane, but I don’t think it’s the flight rules or airspace that is an issue.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Terrible accident & thoughts go out to his family, friends & colleagues.

Did anyone see the couple of minutes before News at 10 last night? After the pre-programme headlines were read (this story was understandably first up) ITV proceeded to show a tourist advert for Guernsey...with the strap line " Come & get lost in Guernsey".

Perhaps no-one at the station twigged, but talk about bad timing :eek:(

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Firstly the airspace in question is not uncontrolled, the airspace around the Channel Islands is within the Brest FIR and is within the Channel Islands CTR from surface to FL80. North of this is the Q41 airway within the London FIR which is controlled from F35. Given that the pilot asked for a descent from 5000ft and was speaking to Jersey ATC, he would have been under a Radar control Service.

In addition there is nothing to suggest that the aircraft was flying VFR. Piper Malibu is perfectly capable of flying IFR and indeed has sophisticated satelite based nav equipment.

Nantes to Cardiff is certainly a fair old journey in a single engines plane, but I don’t think it’s the flight rules or airspace that is an issue.

A little reminder to all posters....

Never, ever try to blag NSC.

There is no topic on earth for which there isn't somebody on here who knows more than you!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I wonder why the pilot didn't ask to try and land at Jersey or Guernsey if he knew the plane was in trouble?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
BBC Breakfast reporting Sala's family received a Whatsspp message from him whilst he was on the plane, expressing concerns about the plane breaking up.

I've heard the Whatsapp message he sent to his family. I don't understand Spanish but you can hear the fear. It's extremely upsetting.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
A little reminder to all posters....

Never, ever try to blag NSC.

There is no topic on earth for which there isn't somebody on here who knows more than you!

Harsh to call it an attempt to blag. Perhaps a little uninformed, but done with the best of intentions i am sure. But yes, there is always someone who knows more.

RIP to both on the flight. I hope that their families get clarity on what exactly happened in this tragedy.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I've heard the Whatsapp message he sent to his family. I don't understand Spanish but you can hear the fear. It's extremely upsetting.

I find it quite bizarre that his family put it in the public domain to be honest.

Very sad situation. RIP to Sala and the pilot. Horrible way to die.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Rescue services now working on the possibility that the pilot landed on the water and that they got into a life raft!! Wowsers, it would be amazing if these two men are found alive.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Rescue services now working on the possibility that the pilot landed on the water and that they got into a life raft!! Wowsers, it would be amazing if these two men are found alive.

Fingers crossed. It would be an amazing outcome if they were both found safe.

Sala would get the best reaction from not only Cardiff fans but all opposite fans for every game he plays in the future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Also reported to be considering that they may have landed on land and not made contact yet, or been picked up by a ship but somehow unable to make contact. Would be great, but sadly it sounds a bit like clutching at straws to me. I'd be delighted to be wrong though.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
When this first happened my first thought was something just doesn't add up. Ex girlfriend now stating its no accident football mafia are involved.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

This would of course be wonderful and I don't mean to sound negative but I read it more as the rescue services basically can't confirm anything at all (as they haven't found anything yet) so stated 4 possibilities at this stage.

1 - They have landed somewhere and can't make contact
2 - They landed on water, were picked up and haven't made contact
3 - The made it to a life raft
4 - the plane broke up, leaving them in the sea

This isn't meant to be critical of your post but I read your post as if the rescue services had hinted that they had found something which suggested a life raft appears to have been deployed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Her words not mine. Was he owned by a management company similar to Tevez and Mascherano when they came to West Ham?

Might be worth allowing the search and rescue to conclude before speculating on foul play or conspiracy theories.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here