Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Huddersfield

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Huddersfield actually look alright in open play.
I had a look on their board the other day and someone commented that they were easily as good as us. The problem with that, apart from being all kinds of wrong, is that you can play like Barcelona in the middle of the pitch but if you're useless in both boxes at the same time it's impossible to pick up points.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Town have always had a decent fan base and when the ground was built, which really was the first template for our place and a lot of the new stadiums, ( Martin perry was the man driving the stadium) it attracted a lot of new fans, especially young ones. Those are the ones who have stuck by the club and yes, promotion and playing the best sides in the league does attract the floating fan. To be fair, town's recent history mirrors ours and we all know " new fans" in our stadium who would disappear if we went into a decline.

We are very much on the up and certainly Wagner's choices of players have not come off. I think town's fans thought his friendship with Klopp would lead to a lot better players coming in and probably loaners from Liverpool. I am most surprised about van la parra who always struck me a s decent player. Looks like he is off in January.

Town remind me of the derby season where they struggled to get a single point and when the rot set in, which from derby was practically the first game, they couldn't get out of it.

It will be a shame to see them go, but no one has the right to stay in the prem and there are some decent sides looking to get into the prem, Leeds, derby, Norwich etc. Should make for an interesting next season assuming we carry on as we are.

There are also reasons why the chairman is not around at the moment and also why Tim has not been doing much on HTFC World too.

Stadium was built a long long time ago. I'm not talking about that period or dissing the fan base they had. It's the woah woah flag waving happy clappy nonsense that has appeared over the last couple of years that needs clearing out. Don't understand why certain clubs feel the need to copy the euro model that was itself an attempt to replicate the UK football support. All very weird and an indication of a support base desperate to find some form of identity

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yeah i heard Dean Hoyle is in hospital,.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Mounie and depoitre were signed very early in the summer of 2017 and many lamented them getting their strikers so early whilst we ultimately signed noone up front. Mounie scored two against Palace opening day and two against us, and was a total donkey rest of the time. Depoitre has been Murray-like without the goals.

We signed locadia and Ulloa in Jan, andone in the summer, but they appear to have signed no-one upfront in the two transfer windows since. Hardly surprising where they are.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I thought he was going to burst into tears during his MOTD interview

He has seldom adopted CH's dignified approach to the ups and downs of refereeing decisions and after one game (maybe when we beat them) refused to talk about anything except the referee. Not a good look for any manager.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mounie and depoitre were signed very early in the summer of 2017 and many lamented them getting their strikers so early whilst we ultimately signed noone up front.

I think your timeline is a little off. We signed Noone in 2010, he'd already been sold in 2012, long before the summer of 2017.

The old ones are the best.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He has seldom adopted CH's dignified approach to the ups and downs of refereeing decisions and after one game (maybe when we beat them) refused to talk about anything except the referee. Not a good look for any manager.

I know writers like to write, but you could have put this more succinctly: Wagner is a dick.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Stadium was built a long long time ago. I'm not talking about that period or dissing the fan base they had. It's the woah woah flag waving happy clappy nonsense that has appeared over the last couple of years that needs clearing out. Don't understand why certain clubs feel the need to copy the euro model that was itself an attempt to replicate the UK football support. All very weird and an indication of a support base desperate to find some form of identity

I think a lot of clubs try to create atmosphere and we did it with clappers once or twice. Others do it with drums or in the case of palafarce, a section of fans who like to wear black and Pratt about( although to be fair they do make a decent sound in a normally soulless desert of pikyism)

There is no ground in the uk , apart from maybe anfield that can match the sounds made in Turkey or Eastern Europe ...or in some grounds in germany( I was in Dortmund for a match and you couldn't hear yourself think for 90 minutes)

I don't have a problem with Fulham and town having clappers...at least it keeps the atmosphere going especially as the precarious position they are both in they need anything that can get the crowd engaged.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I used the terminology better player Not better striker - It is possible to be a very good footballer but not necessarily be the most efficient at hitting the back of the net.

Timing, composure, bravery, calmness, dedication etc all come into the equation. There are thousands of brilliant footballers over the last 50 years or so who are better footballers than Glen Murray but who have dropped out of the game and failed to be a success.

You seem to be saying that they are more skilful footballers, while I'd say that good players need those qualities you list as well as skill or they become the sort of show-ponies who can sometimes win you games but more often cost managers their jobs.

And in any case, I don't see what evidence there is that any of Huddersfield's so-called strikers are better footballers than Glenn Murray. Depoitre and Mounie are carthorses by comparison. Could either of them have summoned up the imagination and technique to have scored Muzza's goal against Manchester United this season? If either of them had swung at the same ball that Murray did when scoring against West Ham, it would still be in orbit over Woodingdean. And if you play as a striker, I'd say that hitting the back of the net is the key quality.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Fulham and Cardiff lose tricky matches tomorrow, then a Huddersfield win v Burnley on Wednesday will make the table look a lot better for them - and give them the tiniest hope of avoiding the drop.

Lose to Burnley and it'll seem very grim.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The following stats are a clear indication where Huddersfield's problem lies.

Goals scored...........12 ( Lowest in PL )...............BHA.....22.
Shots........................227.......................................BHA......183
Shots on target..........68....................................... BHA.......58
Hit woodwork..............9 ( 6th most in PL )............BHA.........2 ( 19th in PL )
Crosses/Headed goals....456 ( most in PL )/5 ...............BHA.......297( 18th in PL )/6
Corners......................89........................................BHA.........81
Passes.....................8692 ( 8th in PL )..................BHA........7096 ( 17th in PL )
( All these stats suggest they are creating enough opportunities to score )

.....but where it really matters ( in the opposition penalty box ).........
Goals inside box.........8.........................................BHA.........22 ( out 22 )
Penalties scored.........0........................................BHA...........4 ( 2nd highest in PL )
Goals from counter attacks.....0...........................BHA...........3 ( 4th in PL )

Its clear we have a bit more quality in the last third, creating and scoring nearly x3 as many goals from inside the box than Huddersfield, as well as creating penalty situations and even converting crosses. Our clear weakness is goals from outside the box....a big fat zero. Our midfielders ( generally ) are all poor/reluctant shooters. Some PL teams are in double figures for goals from outside the box!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Huddersfield are complete and utter rubbish. Every department of their team is sub-standard. None of their players would get into our 25 man squad. They are taking the place of a competent team and the sooner they're relegated the better. It was a rubbish Huddersfield team which got promoted, a rubbish Huddersfield team which stayed up by default last season and a rubbish Huddersfield team which is going to finish 20th this season.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Huddersfield are complete and utter rubbish. Every department of their team is sub-standard. None of their players would get into our 25 man squad. They are taking the place of a competent team and the sooner they're relegated the better. It was a rubbish Huddersfield team which got promoted, a rubbish Huddersfield team which stayed up by default last season and a rubbish Huddersfield team which is going to finish 20th this season.

Hahahahahahaha.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I think you need to stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think. :jester:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Australia agreed Mooy is injured so he was left out of the Asia Cup squad.

Which will normally go with an agreement he's not fit to play for his club either I would guess, at least for the foreseeable?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You seem to be saying that they are more skilful footballers, while I'd say that good players need those qualities you list as well as skill or they become the sort of show-ponies who can sometimes win you games but more often cost managers their jobs.

And in any case, I don't see what evidence there is that any of Huddersfield's so-called strikers are better footballers than Glenn Murray. Depoitre and Mounie are carthorses by comparison. Could either of them have summoned up the imagination and technique to have scored Muzza's goal against Manchester United this season? If either of them had swung at the same ball that Murray did when scoring against West Ham, it would still be in orbit over Woodingdean. And if you play as a striker, I'd say that hitting the back of the net is the key quality.

Murray is a better footballer and finisher than those two. Despite a big injury, he came back to prove his class.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And in any case, I don't see what evidence there is that any of Huddersfield's so-called strikers are better footballers than Glenn Murray. Depoitre and Mounie are carthorses by comparison.

Indeed.

I commented on here on the state of Depoitre when he was brought on against us. He looked every inch, and he had many of those in all directions, a journeyman lower league striker - the sort you'd expect to face on a cold Tuesday night in Mansfield.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Indeed.

I commented on here on the state of Depoitre when he was brought on against us. He looked every inch, and he had many of those in all directions, a journeyman lower league striker - the sort you'd expect to face on a cold Tuesday night in Mansfield.

Chris O'Grady could do a better job for Town than Depoitre ( actually....thinking about it....Paul O'Grady could do a better job!!! )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here