Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could you compete in an Ironman?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest how long does it take to swim 2.4 miles?

Dec 15, 2014
Here
latest

It certainly would help to compete inside this "Ironman."

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have been away from NSC for a very long time, but just wanted to resurrect this thread for anybody who cares and say.

I COMPLETED MY IRONMAN RACE!

15hrs and 15 minutes to swim 2.4miles, ride 112miles and then run a marathon.

Below is a video of me crossing the line.

Respect! :bowdown:

A mate of mine watched his son complete the Wales Ironman this year - made him a very proud dad indeed, and quite rightly so!

Chapeau!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done. Amazing stuff. I did my one and only triathlon last summer. I had to learn to swim which was hard work. I only did an Olympic length one and took 2 hrs 53. I am tempted by a half ironman but an ironman is just nuts and hats off to you for doing it.

Your next challenge should be celtman (google it) my cousin's husband came 4th or 5th this year and the TV pictures were amazing. The cycle is around the highlands and the marathon is nearly all cross country and involves climbing two mountains. Mere mortals like me can dream of ironman but having completed an ironman would you consider that?

I saw this a while back

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=101873

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
As an aside... How was the swim? I assume it was open water? That was my biggest fear because I had never swam more than 200 metres front crawl. I was terrified of the open water. It turns out that swimming in a wetsuit is much easier than without one due to the buoyancy. Did you find that? The start was mental too. Someone had mentioned to me to watch it but until you have been in the middle of c200 blokes all starting front crawl at the same time you can't appreciate how nasty it is as a relatively crap swimmer. Arms and legs everywhere and kicked and punched more than once. I had tried to start at the back but got ushered forward.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I have been away from NSC for a very long time, but just wanted to resurrect this thread for anybody who cares and say.

Well done! Have you had the tattoo done yet? :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Bloody brilliant, and for Chestnut Tree House, if I'm not mistaken?

Some mates did their first ironman in Wales this year and mentioned to me the other day about doing another on in 2017. I will do one – ultimately before I'm 40 (dunno why?) – to get it out of my system. It's the swim that will really get me. It's a bloody long way, and I find swimming so boring...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Well done, tough race. In answer to the original post, although I consider myself fit, I don't think I would have the stamina to complete an iron man.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
good mate of mine just did one 2.5 k swim 90 k , bike ride , 22 k run.......he's been training his arse of since last december and was reasonably fit to start with.......don't think i could do it....!!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Well done, at the moment, no I couldn't, on separate days I could do the cycle and be competitive, I'd blow our my ass on the run and probably just make it, I'd not be able to swim 2.4 miles with lots of people around me. Lots of respect to anyone who attempts one.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Well done. Amazing stuff. I did my one and only triathlon last summer. I had to learn to swim which was hard work. I only did an Olympic length one and took 2 hrs 53. I am tempted by a half ironman but an ironman is just nuts and hats off to you for doing it.

Your next challenge should be celtman (google it) my cousin's husband came 4th or 5th this year and the TV pictures were amazing. The cycle is around the highlands and the marathon is nearly all cross country and involves climbing two mountains. Mere mortals like me can dream of ironman but having completed an ironman would you consider that?
I would definitely consider it. The training and competing is incredibly addictive.

The Celtman is very well known. Iconic race.

Last edited:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
As an aside... How was the swim? I assume it was open water? That was my biggest fear because I had never swam more than 200 metres front crawl. I was terrified of the open water. It turns out that swimming in a wetsuit is much easier than without one due to the buoyancy. Did you find that? The start was mental too. Someone had mentioned to me to watch it but until you have been in the middle of c200 blokes all starting front crawl at the same time you can't appreciate how nasty it is as a relatively crap swimmer. Arms and legs everywhere and kicked and punched more than once. I had tried to start at the back but got ushered forward.
I loved the swim, but I come from a decent swimming background.

Wetsuits are much easier than swimming in skins as they help you float.

The swim was in the sea. I'd done loads of training in the Solent so was well prepared (for that part at least) [emoji16]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here