Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper - I'm sorry

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Saints second, Bong ultimately gave the penalty, but unfortunately it started from posession lost by Bissouma.

Ah okay, didn’t catch that, we were low down, personally thought it was primarily Bong’s stupidity, but fair enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure he touched the ball in the last 20 mins.

However, if Stephens is out we need him more than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Out of form for me

I suppose we could say that, but I don't believe he misplaced a single pass. Out of the 6 he made in the game. He only missed one tackle, out of the two he went in for.

I'm intrigued to know what his game plan was out there, was he tasked with marking someone? Or is it a game-plan to press spaces in front of the back four, to prevent them using the space?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suppose we could say that, but I don't believe he misplaced a single pass. Out of the 6 he made in the game. He only missed one tackle, out of the two he went in for.

I'm intrigued to know what his game plan was out there, was he tasked with marking someone? Or is it a game-plan to press spaces in front of the back four, to prevent them using the space?

Good points.....mine was more general...not necessarily just referring to this evening

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Propper is quality, possibly our best player. I think he doesn’t look great in matches like tonight’s because his major attributes (immense passing range, close control, speed of thought, vision, technique etc) are not suited to a team that has about 25% possession and is outclassed by the opposition. He’s not a scrapper, which is what we needed against a team like Spurs. But when we play at home against teams in the bottom 14 a player like Propper will make a difference.

I spent time watching him today, unless I missed something in the opening 5 minutes he didn't touch the ball until the 29th minute, didn't make a tackle til the 35th, made about ten touches in total in the entire game, and despite being pushed deep into the Stephens role was inexplicably jogging back well behind play when they scored their second. I see exactly what you're saying and you're right - but even someone with the qualities you espouse can surely get more involved in a game?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Propper is quality, possibly our best player. I think he doesn’t look great in matches like tonight’s because his major attributes (immense passing range, close control, speed of thought, vision, technique etc) are not suited to a team that has about 25% possession and is outclassed by the opposition. He’s not a scrapper, which is what we needed against a team like Spurs. But when we play at home against teams in the bottom 14 a player like Propper will make a difference.

Agreed. I too think he is our best player. I’m excited about the prospect of Propper and Bissouma playing in a midfield 2. That is a lot of talent and should offer us a more dynamic midfield than we’re used to. I think Propper will enjoy playing with a more technically gifted player close to his level.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Only Bruno comes close to Propper's class in this squad. When on song (as he was for most of last season) he's a joy to watch.

He had a bad 45 minutes.

For our best player, he really needs to have more than 1 good game in 5.

He doesn't track anything like as well as Stephens, and Kayal showed yesterday more intent than he has in a while in his position.

Infuriating watching him break into a slow jog when we're on the backfoot.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Yes, maybe he could be more involved. I don’t disagree with you necessarily.

But I also think it’s quite hard to be a real footballer with immense talent playing for a bottom eight side that doesn’t tend to have much possession or dictate matches against any opposition, let alone one as good as Spurs. I think if you’re judging him on tackles or distance run you’ll always be disappointed. But in home games against the other rubbish teams, I reckon he and Gross are our best chance of playing good football, setting the tempo and controlling games that will ultimately see us beat a lot of those sides.

So basically he should play in 13 of 38 games, and the rest of the time he's ineffectual? Thats the very definition of a luxury player, the kind that regularly gets called out on MotD and the like of not putting a shift in, and has seen players at the very top clubs called into question. He has to get more involved in games like this.

But we did see enough from him last season to make his recent performances strange. I guess the loss of Gross has really affected him, because now he is playing with Bissouma who is regularly turning up on his 'patch' and yesterday showed he is totally unsuited to the Stephens role. Only when pushed into Gross' position in the second half of Saints has he been involved in the last couple of games. Maybe he is the kind of player that likes having very defined roles, and the Stephens-Propper-Gross axis has been intricately worked on over the last 12 months.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Are you getting this information from a statistical source, or from your observations?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here