Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plastic supporters...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Exactly. And let's not forget the lowest possible attendance is pegged by the number of season ticket holders, so the pretendance will always be close to 30K.

Anyway, this thread is completely stupid.

I think you're spot on. My only issue and area of doubt is the Burnley game, without the possibility of seeing a football gentleman magician in the form of Barton, the crowd may be affected a tad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you're spot on. My only issue and area of doubt is the Burnley game, without the possibility of seeing a football gentleman magician in the form of Barton, the crowd may be affected a tad.

I bet you're right. And I bet so does he.

el punal

How to spot a plastic fan, from very recent experience, probably replicated the length and breadth of Brighton in recent weeks:

December 2014 - disconsolate me gets home from game and trudges into local pub 90 minutes after full time. Man propping up the bar asks "how did they do? Oh, lost again, do you think they'll go down?"

March 2017 - merry me skips into local pub (a full) 90 minutes after full time. Same man asks "hey, how did we do?" I stare at him in surprise, and inform him that we won again, too polite to ask why the bloody hell he didn't know that already. "Great, we're doing really well, aren't we? We'll be up this year!!"

But that's ok, nice to see someone gradually seeing the light. Share the love.

This reminds me of a similar "event" back in 1972. I used to work part time in a pub and many of the locals knew I was a die hard Albion fan. As you all know we had an astonishing run towards the end of the 1971/72 season and were lying second (to Villa) with the final match to be played against Rochdale at the Goldstone to clinch promotion.

Enter the "Tw*t" family of husband, wife, and two teenage sons. "Oh hello el punal (!), we thought we would all go to the Goldstone tomorrow night and watch the Albion. Any suggestions?".

My reply brought a look of sheer horror to their faces when I explained what was required, having established of course that they'd never been to a football match in their lives.

My advice? Get to the Goldstone at no later than 5.30, be prepared to queue for maybe two hours to actually get in into the ground. The chances are you will crushed along with 35,000 other fans. If Albion score you will probably end up 15 yards away from your original starting place. There will be zero chance of going to the toilet. You will hear lots of rude words and naughty songs. There will be a lot of people jumping up and down or swaying en masse. Should we win and get promoted everyone will rush on to the pitch to celebrate, so there's a possibility that you could get knocked flying. Finally, it will take you ages to get away from the ground.

You know what? They never went. Tee - hee - hee!! :D

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm sorry but I just don't get this plastic fan crap. Anyone that pays to go and watch a match is a football fan. They are supporting the club financially by buying a ticket, be it the Albion or any other club. Does it mean that you are a "plastic fan" if you decide to watch a game as a neutral spectator - which I would imagine many of us have done?

A case in point, I went to watch Eastleigh play Alfreton Town a couple of seasons back (the Albion had played on the Friday night), and the only thing that was plastic that day were the chips.

So, going back to the essence of the thread, in my view the "plastic fan" is the sit-at-home armchair TV match viewer or the one down the pub spouting forth. They are the sort who have never been to a ground to watch a game, and their contribution to football is just one big, fat zero.

Thank you for defending me. It is quite funny looking at debates on 'plastic' fans they are generally straight out of Monty Python 'you were lucky' genre.....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's a bloke I work with who's never shown the slightest bit of interest in BHAFC. But last week, following our promotion to the PL, he proudly announced that like me "I'm also now a fellow member of Brighton and Hove Albion". He'd paid £25 for a bronze membership, and was looking forward to taking in some games next season.

He was a little taken aback when I said that tickets would be pretty scarce, but wished him luck getting hold of some. "Hang on...I've paid £25 to be a member, why won't I get a ticket ??" was his response. I explained that with 23,000 season tickets, 3,000 away fans and x number of players family / hospitality tickets, there won't be all that many left to go around. Especially as the club haven't capped the number of bronze memberships they were selling. I think he thought that paying £25 guaranteed him an option on a ticket.

Then he asked me how much I was paying for my season ticket, and when I told him, he asked if that also included all the away games.

I mean christ.

People never ceas to amaze me. A good friend of mine, who lives in Ditchling and works in Brighton, had absolutely no idea that Brighton had been promoted.

I would have thought that virtually every local person, football fan or otherwise, would have realised by now, that we are in the Premier League next season, particularly if they ever buy a paper, or turn on their television.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Point is were Albion right now in possession of 40,000 seats,we could have a few near sell outs and average into the early mid 30,k next season.

I may add a very long time friend of mine will be very interested to see Premier players,but is not prepared to see championship,odd but true..

maybe he can see us on the telly.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes, just not quite sure why it needed to be pointed out that attendances go up when getting promoted to the PL....!

I feel it's an opportunity to grow support if we did manage to stay up (over several seasons),we seriously might need a larger venue,seriously though it's such a balancing act to get right,we could have the extra seats ad never have use for them.

Worth noting that we never went over 30,000 at the Goldstone in Division 1,despite numerous occasions topping that figure from 1932 through every decade to 1979.....so perhaps we have it just right...

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
This reminds me of a similar "event" back in 1972. I used to work part time in a pub and many of the locals knew I was a die hard Albion fan. As you all know we had an astonishing run towards the end of the 1971/72 season and were lying second (to Villa) with the final match to be played against Rochdale at the Goldstone to clinch promotion.

Enter the "Tw*t" family of husband, wife, and two teenage sons. "Oh hello el punal (!), we thought we would all go to the Goldstone tomorrow night and watch the Albion. Any suggestions?".

My reply brought a look of sheer horror to their faces when I explained what was required, having established of course that they'd never been to a football match in their lives.

My advice? Get to the Goldstone at no later than 5.30, be prepared to queue for maybe two hours to actually get in into the ground. The chances are you will crushed along with 35,000 other fans. If Albion score you will probably end up 15 yards away from your original starting place. There will be zero chance of going to the toilet. You will hear lots of rude words and naughty songs. There will be a lot of people jumping up and down or swaying en masse. Should we win and get promoted everyone will rush on to the pitch to celebrate, so there's a possibility that you could get knocked flying. Finally, it will take you ages to get away from the ground.

Plastics wouldn't know that info !

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

So you painted such a bad picture of how it was to support the Albion the teenage sons didn't go to the game and we lost out on possible future supporters ? You bell end.

el punal

So you painted such a bad picture of how it was to support the Albion the teenage sons didn't go to the game and we lost out on possible future supporters ? You bell end.

Au contraire! I spoke the truth and described it as it was (going to be) on the big night. Had they, on the other hand, decided to go earlier on in the season and watched a game in relative comfort maybe the outcome would have been different.

P.S. The teenage sons weren't in the least bit interested in football. So less of the bell-endery thank you very much.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/185937-brighton-away-anyone-going-merged/

A mixed thread on Bristol City fans talking about going to the game on Saturday, and how smug we are!!
Varying comments on their unsold tickets being returned to our club, for our fans to go, and oh yes I forgot, our smugness :lolol:

Only a couple seem to dislike us. Some are genuinely positive. No reason why BC can't replicate our success. They have a very supportive chairman; they just need to ditch their inexperienced manager.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak

I'm not sure losing potential supporters in 1972 is relevant now. If they have gone through life avoiding the Albion or football on this advice they may well be a couple of the aforementioned middle aged plastics..... (Whatever they are)

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Au contraire! I spoke the truth and described it as it was (going to be) on the big night. Had they, on the other hand, decided to go earlier on in the season and watched a game in relative comfort maybe the outcome would have been different.

P.S. The teenage sons weren't in the least bit interested in football. So less of the bell-endery thank you very much.

To be fair I don't care I only typed that crap out to kill time whilst at work :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I feel it's an opportunity to grow support if we did manage to stay up (over several seasons),we seriously might need a larger venue,seriously though it's such a balancing act to get right,we could have the extra seats ad never have use for them.

Worth noting that we never went over 30,000 at the Goldstone in Division 1,despite numerous occasions topping that figure from 1932 through every decade to 1979.....so perhaps we have it just right...

But crowds were tiny across the board in the early 80s due to hooliganism and far fewer women went in those days. The appeal is far broader now and the population of sussex is much larger.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Wonder if there'll be any moans if/when the much anticpiated say, Chelsea game is moved to a Monday night and little Johnny can't come as it's school the next day.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
what a crap thread. i would like us to have as many new fans as possible, and good luck to them.

for a team with 6,000 at withers, that makes most of the passionate support i see around me at the amex plastics, which is nonsense.

new fans = very welcome

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
What about someone who has literally never been to a BHA game in his life, but within a week of us reaching the Premier League, has bought a membership card under the impression that for his £25 investment, he'll be able to get tickets to see us when Man Utd et-al rock up ?

The makings of a life long supporter/tell him to stick his pony up his a88e
Delete according to results/alcohol consumed:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here