Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL 2016 NFL thread

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Did anyone watch the game last night? It was a cracker. A Ben Roethlisberger/ Antonio Brown TD with 10 seconds left won it.

The Steelers have won 6 in a row (which will surely be 7 as they face the Browns in the last game) but the offence still isn't firing on a cylinders. If it ever does, someone is going to get trashed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There's an hour highlights programme on Sky Sports Mix at 2pm. Looking forward to it.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Did anyone watch the game last night? It was a cracker. A Ben Roethlisberger/ Antonio Brown TD with 10 seconds left won it.

The Steelers have won 6 in a row (which will surely be 7 as they face the Browns in the last game) but the offence still isn't firing on a cylinders. If it ever does, someone is going to get trashed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Le'Veon Bell is ridiculous. More or less unstoppable.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Bills sack Rex Ryan, and not before time – he was a waste of space at the Jets as well

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-sack-coach-rex-ryan-playoff-drought-continues-184745567--nfl.html

I like one of the comments on the above post

"Can we now get teams to stop recycling awful and mediocre coaches.
The likes of Ryan and Fisher should not get any more head coaching interviews"

And Rex should have thought twice about the theme of his personal truck and maybe should have called an Uber.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/27/re...ills-themed-truck-after-being-fired-by-bills/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bills sack Rex Ryan, and not before time – he was a waste of space at the Jets as well

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-sack-coach-rex-ryan-playoff-drought-continues-184745567--nfl.html

I like one of the comments on the above post

"Can we now get teams to stop recycling awful and mediocre coaches.
The likes of Ryan and Fisher should not get any more head coaching interviews"

They didn't even wait as long as I thought they would but then their season ended with that OT defeat to the Dolphins. As [MENTION=4487]DarrenFreemansPerm [/MENTION] says maybe trying to get in first on the available coaches.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some tenuous linkage here:-

This season I've been enjoying Bill Simmons' pre and post weekend NFL podcasts.
I guess I probably should have mentioned this earlier!

https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast

Anyhoo as part of BS' media 'empire' he also has a pop culture podcast thread, The Ringer.
Now The Ringer has just started a new subsection, Sports Movie Hall of Fame.

The first induction was Jerry Maguire:-
https://soundcloud.com/channel33/ep-224-inaugural-sports-movie-hall-of-fame-jerry-maguire

Two blokes rambling on about the film and more so a critique of Tom Cruise.
I enjoyed it and recommend it as a listen.
If you're not that fussed but do know the film, you really need to listen to the 3 minutes from 30:33, it's very funny in a bloke-geek way.

The latest one to drop is Moneyball, which I'm yet to listen too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Interesting article about Le'Veon Bell and his forthcoming contact negotiation

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-bell-wants-to-remain-with-steelers-in-2017

The thing I found interesting was how relatively cheap the franchise tag is for a running back at $12m. That's a snip for a guy like Bell, David Johnson or Elliot that you can build an offence around, even in these pass happy NFL times.

Tough times for NFL running backs....

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Interesting article about Le'Veon Bell and his forthcoming contact negotiation

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...on-bell-wants-to-remain-with-steelers-in-2017

The thing I found interesting was how relatively cheap the franchise tag is for a running back at $12m. That's a snip for a guy like Bell, David Johnson or Elliot that you can build an offence around, even in these pass happy NFL times.

Tough times for NFL running backs....

It seems particularly harsh given (a) the short lifespan of a running back, and (b) what appears to be a resurgence in the importance of the position. Insofar as $12 million dollars a season can be harsh, obviously.

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
So what a brilliant weekend we have ahead of us, Brighton tonight and Monday sandwiching a huge night of NFL on Sunday where hopefully (I pray!!) the Falcons beat the saints and claim the 2nd seed! Can't wait!

Also anyone got any recommendations on good places to watch the super bowl possibly in London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It seems particularly harsh given (a) the short lifespan of a running back, and (b) what appears to be a resurgence in the importance of the position. Insofar as $12 million dollars a season can be harsh, obviously.

Yeah, I mean I'm not shedding any tears....

I suspect it's precisely because of the short lifespan of running backs that it is at that level, in that teams don't want to run the risk of having oodles of dead cap space in a player that is a big injury risk. They've become disposable, RBBC is in vogue. But the top, top guys make running an offence so much easier.

There's so much value in the draft at running back these days. In this decade so far only 11 RB's have gone first round - Jahvid Best, Ryan Matthews, C.J Spiller, Mark Ingram, David Wilson, Doug Martin, Trent Richardson, Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot.

Though you could argue that list probably tells you why!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Raiders finish the season off at the Broncos tonight, cannot see much happening play-off wise as the main man is now out

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Red Zone on Sky Sports Mix 18.00?

First time this season I'll not be watching.
Literally nothing to see until the Packer v Lioness'.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Steelers making hard work of the Browns. 21 - 21 in extra time

Now 24 - 21 to the Browns after a field goal

Jul 7, 2003
Will have to watch Broncos v Raiders on Redzone tonight as no gamepass again for the last game of the season (they did this last year as well). Will be interesting to see how Raiders cope without Carr. Usually I would expect them to rest some starters ahead of the playoffs but you also need to get your QB in tune with the O-line and receivers so may be more of a contest.

Broncos missing a few players and might also be unsettled with the reports that Kubiak may be retiring after this game on health reasons.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here