Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We need a new derogatory term for those gimps that sprint out of the Amex

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For those of you with short memories, or too young to have known, they used to open the gates at the Goldstone with 20 minutes to go. Amazingly, there were always a few waiting to come in! Fans used to leave from this point onwards and there was always a steady stream out from 85 mins onwards. It was less noticeable around the Goldstone, as there were numerous points of exit and the fans slipped away in various different directions.
At the Amex, fans can only go in two directions, one of which is a bottleneck, therefore the concentration rushing to get away is that much greater and far more noticeable. Leaving early and rushing to get away is nothing new.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, may I propose the derogatory term GUMPS...

giphy.gif

Have to admit that getting back to Essex at midnight after staying to the end after Tuesday night games is squeaky bum time for me as the train queue is mental. Also sharing London train with Palace fans in a bad mood isn't a barrel of larfs. If I was just pootling back to Brighton I wouldn't care much....but train timetables are a ******* for us wanderers.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I suppose the uber fans who stay behind to clap the players off before heading for the concourse to watch the highlights, would be TRUMPS?

( as per card playing I must add, not the lunatic fringe variety)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Have to admit that getting back to Essex at midnight after staying to the end after Tuesday night games is squeaky bum time for me as the train queue is mental. Also sharing London train with Palace fans in a bad mood isn't a barrel of larfs. If I was just pootling back to Brighton I wouldn't care much....but train timetables are a ******* for us wanderers.

Made the same point earlier. All very well for locals to make up "derogatory" terms for people who run for the trains, but a lot of fans live considerable distances from Brighton and have to make their connections. Perhaps Tom would like to make some derogatory comments to my face as I'm running to catch the train when I have a 55-mile journey home after a midweek match.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
For those of you with short memories, or too young to have known, they used to open the gates at the Goldstone with 20 minutes to go. Amazingly, there were always a few waiting to come in! Fans used to leave from this point onwards and there was always a steady stream out from 85 mins onwards. It was less noticeable around the Goldstone, as there were numerous points of exit and the fans slipped away in various different directions.
At the Amex, fans can only go in two directions, one of which is a bottleneck, therefore the concentration rushing to get away is that much greater and far more noticeable. Leaving early and rushing to get away is nothing new.

No one has said it is a new thing
My mate and his Dad used to always leave the Goldstone early and they only lived 15 minutes down the road, they used to park nearby and left early to beat the rush so didn't get caught up in the traffic.
They did sweet FA when they got home
I was only about 12 and used to swerve going to games with them because of this
Not really worth going at all if can't commit to the full game and extra time

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Made the same point earlier. All very well for locals to make up "derogatory" terms for people who run for the trains, but a lot of fans live considerable distances from Brighton and have to make their connections. Perhaps Tom would like to make some derogatory comments to my face as I'm running to catch the train when I have a 55-mile journey home after a midweek match.

Doubt he will

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

The OP is clearly a local and as such, faces no pressure on his time. His proximity allows him the luxury of being flexible in his timing. He can leave home relatively late and still get to games on time and he can wait behind afterwards, as long as he likes, before strolling out to catch his train/bus. Its a totally different scenario to those who have considerable distances to travel and connections to make. It makes me chuckle that some of the locals on here, posting derogatory comments, don't actually attend every home game and don't do many away games either. ...." Oh, I have to work "...." Can't afford a ST "...." Family committments "...." On holiday "...." going to a concert instead ".....But never mind, let them pour scorn on fans who may have very valid reasons for hurrying to catch a train/bus.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I suppose the uber fans who stay behind to clap the players off before heading for the concourse to watch the highlights, would be TRUMPS?

( as per card playing I must add, not the lunatic fringe variety)

you mean the ones who live in Hangleton, Portslade and Tomkins Mews?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No one has said it is a new thing
My mate and his Dad used to always leave the Goldstone early and they only lived 15 minutes down the road, they used to park nearby and left early to beat the rush so didn't get caught up in the traffic.
They did sweet FA when they got home
I was only about 12 and used to swerve going to games with them because of this
Not really worth going at all if can't commit to the full game and extra time
Similar memories here. Now I think about it, "STAYING TIL THE END" was quite a big deal even back then (late 70s glory years) so leaving early must have been commonplace.

If The Amex lower tiers were all terracing then we would not have such an issue with it now.

It is a shame to see all the empty seats but it is inevitable given longstanding habits/needs of fans - exaggerated by The Amex location and modern day levels of patience with waiting for anything.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Similar memories here. Now I think about it, "STAYING TIL THE END" was quite a big deal even back then (late 70s glory years) so leaving early must have been commonplace.

If The Amex lower tiers were all terracing then we would not have such an issue with it now.

It is a shame to see all the empty seats but it is inevitable given longstanding habits/needs of fans - exaggerated by The Amex location and modern day levels of patience with waiting for anything.

Quite a sensible post for you but don't recall it being an issue in the 70s but then I did live locally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here