Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Foredown Road is my hill for repeats usually go for 7 or 8 times. Begining to think I need something steeper though- might give woodland drive a go on friday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can see a new NSC hill challenge coming on 😉

I've never been UP Woodland - not on foot, anyway...

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Up and down, up and down. Snaky hill and Woodland were kind to me tonight.. Not sure about the UPs, much more fun pegging it DOWN woodland ave and for that matter any hill tbh..Just have to remember to keep your eyes on the road, not on your watch!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have any of you 'outer edge of Hove Park' runners run up the Three Cornered Copse behind Woodland Drive? Nice off road, wet and slimey with dog poo to dodge.

All this hill talk has made me alter plans. I wasn't going to do Hastings half again, as too near the marathon and too tempting to fly downhill on second half, but as a lot of you are and it's the 950th anniversary of 1066. I'll be there.
I'll just aim sub 4 for BM and train to target the Summers 5k and 10k sub 20 and sub 43.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seven miles this morning, mainly steady state with a bit of warm up and cool down. From feeling great after Sunday's snowy nipple rubber I'm now starting to feel aches and snuffles everywhere, I have a sore throat, a sore back and a runny nose. I'm assuming it's still ok to run unless it all ends up in my chest? The actual run today was fine, it's now I'm in the warm and sitting down that the man flu and backache has really kicked in.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Seven miles this morning, mainly steady state with a bit of warm up and cool down. From feeling great after Sunday's snowy nipple rubber I'm now starting to feel aches and snuffles everywhere, I have a sore throat, a sore back and a runny nose. I'm assuming it's still ok to run unless it all ends up in my chest? The actual run today was fine, it's now I'm in the warm and sitting down that the man flu and backache has really kicked in.

I often find that a run will shift the mucus - you don't want to do that with anything other than a cold though!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Yeah as long as its not on your chest your fine...if you actually feel in the mood to run, thats another matter..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah as long as its not on your chest your fine...if you actually feel in the mood to run, thats another matter..

Had very little motivation this morning but went out and it was the best I've felt in two days. Just need to remind myself that :)

Marathon shoes have now been purchased. Back to Brooks GTS but the 2016 version in size 11. Already given them a spin from Run round the block and back. Just need to carefully cycle the three pairs I have now so these are fresh-ish for race day but have done some long runs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had very little motivation this morning but went out and it was the best I've felt in two days. Just need to remind myself that :)

Marathon shoes have now been purchased. Back to Brooks GTS but the 2016 version in size 11. Already given them a spin from Run round the block and back. Just need to carefully cycle the three pairs I have now so these are fresh-ish for race day but have done some long runs.
Good news....I usually use the 'above/below the neck' rule too......Nothing like a run for clearing out the tubes, just ease back on the effort a bit.

If you like GTS, worth looking at Racer STs - very similar fit but quite a bit lighter without any noticeable loss of cushioning. Also don't worry too much about shoes being 'broken in' - a few miles is enough if you're used to the model.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Have any of you 'outer edge of Hove Park' runners run up the Three Cornered Copse behind Woodland Drive? Nice off road, wet and slimey with dog poo to dodge.

All this hill talk has made me alter plans. I wasn't going to do Hastings half again, as too near the marathon and too tempting to fly downhill on second half, but as a lot of you are and it's the 950th anniversary of 1066. I'll be there.
I'll just aim sub 4 for BM and train to target the Summers 5k and 10k sub 20 and sub 43.

I detect a Knocky infused with a steely intent. As the time targets you mention will easily be enough to steal my 'king of the NSC-age grade' title, I was so worried by this that I went down to Worthing prom to do a 5K time trial. (I can't do a parkrun this week.) Buffeted by a cross-wind I managed a 21:21. I'll soon get to the stage where I'll imagine you closing me down (or way out in front) and use that as motivation.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I detect a Knocky infused with a steely intent. As the time targets you mention will easily be enough to steal my 'king of the NSC-age grade' title, I was so worried by this that I went down to Worthing prom to do a 5K time trial. (I can't do a parkrun this week.) Buffeted by a cross-wind I managed a 21:21. I'll soon get to the stage where I'll imagine you closing me down (or way out in front) and use that as motivation.

I think you should pencil in the Phoenix Hove Prom 10k, mid July. About 8 of us did it last year and probably again this year. This is when I plan to peak with a top effort 5k week before or after. A 19:59 5k would give me 77.55%. Haven't you already bettered that?

Back to reality. Just ran 8 miles at 9:45 pace and although not easy enjoyable. Shouted at [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], I think, fiddling with his watch at the start of a run. Looking at a 25-27" Parkrun Saturday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION], Bobkin jnr was football training at King Alfred so I left him to run. I was checking my watch because this ox fancied some gazelle action. Straight after I saw you was the start of numerous 2-min sprints - at varying paves, I'm sure - mixed in with 30-second to 1-min recoveries.

I had no idea what I was doing, I felt rough and I've been aching for pretty much all of January (unless I'm running). Not checked the Garmin stats but I bet they are interesting.

Still, five miles in 38:38 didn't seem too bad.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think we all know whos gonna take crown this year..

Well we have the old nags from last year [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] and a new injury prone @Ninja Turtle. Injuries to anyone could put anyone of you up there. However, like Cheltenham, some new NSC runner may emerge this year and the outsider may jump the lot of you. You must be betting on the Big Nag?
It's not the winning, it's the pint after.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Well we have the old nags from last year [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] and a new injury prone @Ninja Turtle. Injuries to anyone could put anyone of you up there. However, like Cheltenham, some new NSC runner may emerge this year and the outsider may jump the lot of you. You must be betting on the Big Nag?

Haha I like it..I am indeed..

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
[MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] took the 10k crown last year with a sub 40 effort, I'll need to put in a career best performance to compete with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here