Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Can anyone recommend a good probate solicitor?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Negotiate a fee as they can take a % of the estate.
You can do it yourself if it's not a complicated estate.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton

We contacted Which? who have a probate service, but they said it was too complex for them to assist with, and we should appoint a solicitor. It's not likely to be a contentious process, just complicated.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12

This.

If it is just banks accounts, house, shares etc. then the forms are not that difficult. If the estate is <£325k (£650k if spouse already deceased), you can subscribe to the Which? probate helpline for 3 months (£399). They will let you know how to fill out the forms, and provide template letters to write to banks.

Even if you use a solicitor, you still have to do a lot of the work providing them with all the information for them to fire off a few letters.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Condolences. As noted above, do not assume that you need a solicitor for this. The probate application is very straightforward to do yourself (depending on circumstances of course).

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Condolences.

If the estate is not complex then it’s relatively easy to do it yourself. I’m not a solicitor but I have now done four probates in recent years, all by reference to HMRC’s site, which is quite helpful. You can download for free all of the required forms which will need completing.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance

There’s now a paperless option too.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/personal-applicants-can-now-apply-for-probate-online

As The Birdman says, some solicitors will charge a percentage of the estate, which can run into thousands of pounds for what can be (for a simple estate) a relatively straightforward process.
Initially, you might want to check out the issues involved, to see if a “DIY Probate” is right for you based on (i) the complexity of the estate, and (ii) your willingness to do it yourself.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/wills-and-probate/probate/guides/diy-probate

There’s a lot of data on the web so do check around before making a decision. Good luck.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How long does probate normally take? A particular will is with solicitors, a letter sent at the beginning of October, following the death in September.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Condolences. Unless the estate is contentious, I would try to do it yourself. Are there any parties disputing any element of the will, or overseas property; these are the sorts of things that make a will complex. Otherwise it tends to be time consuming, but not difficult.

As others have said, if you do use a solicitor negotiate a fee rather than a percentage of the estate; if you have the time and mental energy also go through the solicitor's charges with a fine tooth comb; I have often managed to get, shall we say, generous allocations of time, and therefore the overall cost, reduced

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
How long does probate normally take? A particular will is with solicitors, a letter sent at the beginning of October, following the death in September.

Piece of string, unfortunately - My brother in law and sister died without wills within 10 months of each other, it took another 2 years from there, only settled back end of last year. My mum died last September - Because her money was in an investment fund and a SIPP, that's going on a bit as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Piece of string, unfortunately - My brother in law and sister died without wills within 10 months of each other, it took another 2 years from there, only settled back end of last year. My mum died last September - Because her money was in an investment fund and a SIPP, that's going on a bit as well.

I know the person concerned had already sold their house, so it must be investments holding up the will. Thank you.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Contentious or non contentious?

I do the latter. Rohan Solicitors in HH

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I went through it all when my Mum passed away last year, there were complications but nothing insurmountable.

I used Natalie Mason at Battens Solicitors who are a medium sized company & personable, easy to deal with. I wouldn't normally make recommendations but I can with hand on heart say Natalie was easy to talk to & made the whole process easy with regular contact & clear lines of communication.

www.battens.co.uk

PM me for full details if you still need.

It can be a tough time & I wish you well. It'll all work out in the end.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Have done two in the past couple of years. The process looks a bit complicated but is really a question of just plodding along. Lots of really good info on Gov.uk sites.
https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance
Had to pay inheritance tax on one another arranging forms to allow previous deceased tax allowance to offset IHT liability on the other.
Probate won't be granted until all monies collected into executors account and IHT (if payable) made.
Although monies were in ten different areas (banks, investments, bonds shares etc) process for one took 10 weeks from burial and the other 12 weeks. Made easier as both houses had been sold.
If there is mutilple properties and trusts involved then definitely consider a solicitor otherwise it's not a difficult process just need to be methodical. Edit. both estates I dealt with had wills.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here