• Cat

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 18 9.3%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ah, the old fallback of those cat lovers that refuse to acknowledge the evidence that cats have a smaller brain and are naturally less intelligent. My dog has learned and responds to dozens of different words and phrases.

If I leave the side gate open, she will sit there and not wander into (and crap in) other peoples garden - BECAUSE I HAVE TRAINED HER.
If we're out walking, she will not chase and kill wildlife - BECAUSE I HAVE TRAINED HER.
If I don't see where she did a crap, I say "Where's the poo?" and she will show me - BECAUSE I HAVE TRAINED HER.

The only reasons to prefer cats are that you like the look of them, or the convenience of not having to do anything with them.

I exclude small dogs from my dog preferences. I'd rather have a guinea pig than a small dog or a cat.

Thank god we have got you to tell us why we like cats. And there was me thinking I had other reasons.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The cat would probably have legged it as soon as it smelled the smoke

Exactly. A cat would think 'hmm, better get out of here'. A dog would think 'oh someone will rescue me. Wonder what's in the Fridge'.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You've obviously never owned an affectionate cat. There are plenty of them. A friendly cat is basically all the positives of a dog, and none of the negatives. A friendly cat is the perfect pet.

This

although the gamble is that they are not all friendly and affectionate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This

although the gamble is that they are not all friendly and affectionate.

Most people I know with unfriendly cats never put the time in handling them as they were growing up. Because I played with my cat a lot when it was a kitten, it is now very affectionate and frankly a bit needy in a dog-like way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cats are an accessory that don't give two shits about you just so long as you feed them.

Absolute bollocks, in so many cases.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Most people I know with unfriendly cats never put the time in handling them as they were growing up. Because I played with my cat a lot when it was a kitten, it is now very affectionate and frankly a bit needy in a dog-like way.

Thats it, they need a lot of work when they are young and you will be rewarded for the rest of their lives. One of my new ones is very timid but I am confident we can win him round.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thats it, they need a lot of work when they are young and you will be rewarded for the rest of their lives. One of my new ones is very timid but I am confident we can win him round.

I'm sure you will. Ours was INSANELY shy for the first week or so, literally hiding the whole time, absolutely terrified of being handled. Now is our constant companion, pines when we're away and follows us everywhere, constant source of affection.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Dogs.
Have two myself (German Shorthaired Pointers), and I train both Obedience and Gundog work in my spare time. Used to show them, and still work one of them to the gun.

Don't mind cats, but we tend to stay clear of each other. That said, I'm looking after a friends cat next week (its staying in their home, not mine, wouldn't last long with my two dogs), and I've got to give it insulin injections twice a day!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm sure you will. Ours was INSANELY shy for the first week or so, literally hiding the whole time, absolutely terrified of being handled. Now is our constant companion, pines when we're away and follows us everywhere, constant source of affection.

The one we just lost lived in the roof and behind the dresser for the first couple of months. She loved my wife and I but would disappear when we had visitors. Most of our friends didn't believe we had a cat.

The new shy one is currently laying on my feet while the other on is sitting on my lap (this is a big step forward for him).

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
my mother had a vicious (but cute looking) miniature rabbit, unwisely it had the run of the garden and went for anyone that dared pick its grass, even the neighbours cats ran away from it
I like dogs and cats, but live in a flat so wouldn't have either. Cats are a bit destructive and cruel though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm prepared to be educated. I've spent time with cats, and they're quite cute when they choose to lay on your lap and be stroked. What else do they do?

As has been said they are very affectionate, have a sixth sense for when one is upset or in need of some love. To me there is something more honest and meaningful about the connection with my cats. I like dogs but they kind of feel like they would love anyone regardless of who you are or how you treat them. You have to earn the affection of a cat and to me that means more.

Each to there own and all that, dogs are great but cats do it for me.

boik

As has been said they are very affectionate, have a sixth sense for when one is upset or in need of some love. To me there is something more honest and meaningful about the connection with my cats. I like dogs but they kind of feel like they would love anyone regardless of who you are or how you treat them. You have to earn the affection of a cat and to me that means more.

Fair enough. I guess different people want different things from pets. I love interacting with my dog, and walking and swimming (and canoeing) with her are definite high points. Maybe I'll want a more passive pet when I'm old (he said aged 59).

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Team Cat here.

I have a rescue cat named Steve (after Steve Sidwell- we picked him up the week of THAT Bristol City game last season, and I'd told my other half we were going to name him after whoever scored the winner. Thank God it wasn't Gaetan Bong).

He is ACE.

Yes, he tries to catch birds etc, but that's his animal instinct: it's what they do. I don't see anybody complaining to David Attenborough because the lions on Planet Earth are devouring a wildebeest. Besides, so far- touch wood- Steve has proved too crap to actually catch anything, which seems like a pretty good state of affairs to my mind.

I don't have to walk him, or follow him with a bag around town, picking up his shit. He has a quite admirably haughty indifference to anything he can't be bothered with (smart boy), and he always comes running up the path to greet me whenever I get home from work.

Only downsides: he has very sharp claws & a propensity for the very occasional furball/ arse-dragging episode on the kitchen floor when clagnuts get stuck to his (very long) fur. But, who wouldn't, in the same circumstances?

9fb73442f8b8793322c5f79e4c0365f4.jpg

I love him :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Team Cat here.

I have a rescue cat named Steve (after Steve Sidwell- we picked him up the week of THAT Bristol City game last season, and I'd told my other half we were going to name him after whoever scored the winner. Thank God it wasn't Gaetan Bong).

He is ACE.

Yes, he tries to catch birds etc, but that's his animal instinct: it's what they do. I don't see anybody complaining to David Attenborough because the lions on Planet Earth are devouring a wildebeest. Besides, so far- touch wood- Steve has proved too crap to actually catch anything, which seems like a pretty good state of affairs to my mind.

I don't have to walk him, or follow him with a bag around town, picking up his shit. He has a quite admirably haughty indifference to anything he can't be bothered with (smart boy), and he always comes running up the path to greet me whenever I get home from work.

Only downsides: he has very sharp claws & a propensity for the very occasional furball/ arse-dragging episode on the kitchen floor when clagnuts get stuck to his (very long) fur. But, who wouldn't, in the same circumstances?
9fb73442f8b8793322c5f79e4c0365f4.jpg

I love him :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you have trained him to take a selfie too. Impressive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, he tries to catch birds etc, but that's his animal instinct: it's what they do. I don't see anybody complaining to David Attenborough because the lions on Planet Earth are devouring a wildebeest.
Surely no one is saying they're bad for following their instinct, it's simply a case of 'I don't want one, because their instinct is to kill little creatures'. Otherwise you're basically saying that any smelly dangerous animal is fine, as it's just being itself.

I don't have to walk him, or follow him with a bag around town, picking up his shit.
No, he'll just go and shit in your neighbour's garden, no problem there.
he always comes running up the path to greet me whenever I get home from work.
Who wouldn't!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

When I split with my ex I was gutted I'd never see our cat again, we had such a bond and he was one of those noisy cats with a big personality, who would practically headbutt you in his enthusiasm/affection, and was very much a lover not a fighter.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Exactly. A cat would think 'hmm, better get out of here'. A dog would think 'oh someone will rescue me. Wonder what's in the Fridge'.
Bit like you then...the dog, obviously.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here