Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our complete list of transfer targets

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Another one in for Huddersfield this morning. I'm teetering on the edge of bed wetting.

Yes we had a better squad, yes they've moved to replace the copious number of loans to perms or add numbers but they've moved swiftly and eagerly and without hesitation or hard ball.

When I can be bothered I'll do a list of their new signings v last season and whether they're like for like or upgrades but can't help but feel that we're way off the pace here.

Yes I know we do things quietly so that if it's in the press it probably BS but Haraguchi, Delaney and Abraham were true and haven't as yet got them over the line.

Whilst I trust it will come good in the end - just about - anyone who thinks it wouldn't be HUGELY beneficial to have all recruits in for the whole of pre-season are kidding themselves.

In theory EVERYONE we sign will be an upgrade or we wouldn't be bothering so therefore they're starting XI players who need to learn how we play/fully integrate.

Also we had a clear four week head start when our destiny was already known so genuinely what the hell gives?

I'm not fussed about not having weeks of speculation, tonnes of names linked officially to the club by the club I just want things over the line.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Another one in for Huddersfield this morning. I'm teetering on the edge of bed wetting.

Yes we had a better squad, yes they've moved to replace the copious number of loans to perms or add numbers but they've moved swiftly and eagerly and without hesitation or hard ball.

When I can be bothered I'll do a list of their new signings v last season and whether they're like for like or upgrades but can't help but feel that we're way off the pace here.

Yes I know we do things quietly so that if it's in the press it probably BS but Haraguchi, Delaney and Abraham were true and haven't as yet got them over the line.

Whilst I trust it will come good in the end - just about - anyone who thinks it wouldn't be HUGELY beneficial to have all recruits in for the whole of pre-season are kidding themselves.

In theory EVERYONE we sign will be an upgrade or we wouldn't be bothering so therefore they're starting XI players who need to learn how we play/fully integrate.

Also we had a clear four week head start when our destiny was already known so genuinely what the hell gives?

I'm not fussed about not having weeks of speculation, tonnes of names linked officially to the club by the club I just want things over the line.

As has been pointed out on Udders thread, they had to replace several loan players. We have lost only Stockdale (immediately replaced) who we would have kept.

I don't quite get the neurosis about having a full squad now. For a start, having four weeks more was helpful but the window was not even open. PL and European Leagues teams had not even finished last season, so unlikely there was going to be serious action. We did well to get PG early.

Secondly, we all know this is not how the system works. There is a transfer window, it is open to 2300 on 31 August. Inevitably,agents, players, clubs jockey their needs around that end date, then there is the inevitable interaction caused by buying/selling one player and as a result selling/buying another.

Thirdly, two of our best signings recently - Baldock and Duffy - were signed late August.

Repeat, it would be better to get players in now. There is no disagreement on this, but I don't see how this can practically be achieved for the reasons above even if we paid above the odds. Let's get real.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I think it may be nap time for you.

None of the players they've signed would get in our team.
And, more importantly, we should not be aiming to compete with Huddersfield. They are going down.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Repeat, it would be better to get players in now. There is no disagreement on this, but I don't see how this can practically be achieved for the reasons above even if we paid above the odds. Let's get real.

Are you arguing that all the Huddersfield purchases are therefore over the odds price wise?

If not you're contradicting yourself because they seem to have managed it.

As for getting deals done outside of the window read the interview with Gross where he said contact with him via PS was made more than a year ago.

If we had all our ducks in a row then we'd have secured players as soon as the window was open. That's all I'm asserting to here.

I think it may be nap time for you.

None of the players they've signed would get in our team.
And, more importantly, we should not be aiming to compete with Huddersfield. They are going down.

Time will tell on the unknowns and it was publicly confirmed by the club that we wanted Mooy so not sure that's strictly true.

As I said in my original post I trust the club to get it right in the long term but where every point counts even more than before do you seriously think as it stands the squad is good enough to make a competitive start in the games before the window closes?

It's not short of effort but it will be short on quality without other additions.

Right, I'm off to fetch my PJ's and Albion adorned teddy bear.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Championship level players will more or less jump at the chance of a PL paycheck within a few days of recieving an offer (after a quick check of their market potential).

Top players (I'm not saying we're in for huge names just good players with plenty of options) will I'm sure take longer. Hold your nerve and I reckon we'll be fine ;-)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Are you arguing that all the Huddersfield purchases are therefore over the odds price wise?

As for getting deals done outside of the window read the interview with Gross where he said contact with him via PS was made more than a year ago.

If we had all our ducks in a row then we'd have secured players as soon as the window was open. That's all I'm asserting to here.

Time will tell on the unknowns and it was publicly confirmed by the club that we wanted Mooy so not sure that's strictly true.

As I said in my original post I trust the club to get it right in the long term but where every point counts even more than before do you seriously think as it stands the squad is good enough to make a competitive start in the games before the window closes?

It's not short of effort but it will be short on quality without other additions.

No, it was not aimed at Udders but the presence of a PL premium tax is established, and inevitably that tax will be greater early on. Applied less to U.K. based players, but we seem to be fishing in European waters.

Sure, we contacted Gross, perhaps we wanted to sign him a year ago then things became difficult, but you can't be seriously suggesting that is possible for everyone we want, for a start we didn't know a y are ago if DS would be here. You have to respond to events, you can't dictate. Repeat, practically, you cannot have 'all ducks in a row'.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No, it was not aimed at Udders but the presence of a PL premium tax is established, and inevitably that tax will be greater early on. Applied less to U.K. based players, but we seem to be fishing in European waters.

Sure, we contacted Gross, perhaps we wanted to sign him a year ago then things became difficult, but you can't be seriously suggesting that is possible for everyone we want, for a start we didn't know a y are ago if DS would be here. You have to respond to events, you can't dictate. Repeat, practically, you cannot have 'all ducks in a row'.

Some ducks?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Sure, we contacted Gross, perhaps we wanted to sign him a year ago then things became difficult, but you can't be seriously suggesting that is possible for everyone we want, for a start we didn't know a year ago if DS would be here. You have to respond to events, you can't dictate. Repeat, practically, you cannot have 'all ducks in a row'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here