Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton sack manager

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's no new investment that why Koeman left and went to Everton. From a business point of view its well run

Koeman left because he is ambitious and Everton is a bigger stepping stone than Southampton. If he is ever going to get the Barca job that he craves, he will also leave Everton for a Champions League club even if there is new investment. I don't think you can say that about Southampton. At the start of last season they still bought in £60m worth, £40m 15/16, £68m 14/15, £38m 13/14. Just over £200m of players bought into the club over 4 years is hardly lack of investment even if the outgoings have been much higher.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
They club sell on players - it's how they survive, so Mane & Pelle went and the new manager only gets a year to gel a new forward line (in which he rejuvenated Redmond) finishes 8th and doesn't get anymore time to improve things / bring players in? Seems completely barmy.

But their current mood is that they don't need to and don't want to sell van Dijk, who is probably worth more than many of the other players they have sold on recently put together. Personally I don't think Van Dijk is going anywhere this transfer window unless it is for very silly money. They've already spiked Liverpool's guns in that respect - perhaps it is a bit like us with dale Stephens last summer.

They've also got big Chinese Money on the horizon.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Koeman left because he is ambitious and Everton is a bigger stepping stone than Southampton. If he is ever going to get the Barca job that he craves, he will also leave Everton for a Champions League club even if there is new investment. I don't think you can say that about Southampton. At the start of last season they still bought in £60m worth, £40m 15/16, £68m 14/15, £38m 13/14. Just over £200m of players bought into the club over 4 years is hardly lack of investment even if the outgoings have been much higher.

Koeman left because, despite all his vociferous protestations of loyalty and of his intentions to honour his contract, Everton (allegedly) offered him twice what he was earning at Southampton. That is why any Saints fans I have spoken to about it sees him as a hypocritical turncoat @r5ewipe.

Fair enough if he had said he would be tempted, but he was adamant about staying, or at least seemed to be.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I have a lot of friends who are Saints fans and most of them wanted him gone, due to his style of play.

Yes they finished 8th and got to a cup final, but that's not enough for them, apparently.

I also heard that Chinese money was incoming.

The Leiber family have been superb for them but they may not be able to resist if enough money is dangled. Same with the players. They dont WANT to sell but ALL players have their price.

Interesting times

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have a lot of friends who are Saints fans and most of them wanted him gone, due to his style of play.

Yes they finished 8th and got to a cup final, but that's not enough for them, apparently.

I also heard that Chinese money was incoming.

The Leiber family have been superb for them but they may not be able to resist if enough money is dangled. Same with the players. They dont WANT to sell but ALL players have their price.

Interesting times

And that just re-enforces our view that we are truly lucky to have an owner who loves the Club and City for it's football and not the $ signs. Always thought that the bunch of red stripey to$$ers down the road were a tad jumped up....and they have just proved it....

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here