Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some potentially good news from Paul. While all I can really do is ice pack the re-injured knee that should start to work relatively quickly. The underlying cause, however, may be weak left hip flexor due to an old football injury, which is why it flares up when I do that. Strengthen that muscle (when recovered) and I should be able to do both sports again, just in time to start serious half and full marathon training.

Talking of which it's always good to be able to start your chat with your physio with the line "did Stuart mention I beat him in the marathon?" :)

That must have been worth £40 alone!
Good luck with the knee. I only have one major rival 'Baz' and he's taking 3 years off till he's 60 so not much of a rival.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If parkrun wasn't run at 9am on a saturday morning, I'd be in the 50 club now! :blush:

I felt my hamstring tighten up a touch today, I did 6x1km sprints, I wanted to do them in 4 minutes but wasn't capable of such speed so I ran them all in 4:30 instead, the 20 miler from sunday still weighing down my legs and I did some strengthening work in the gym yesterday. I'm feeling confident about the San Sebastian marathon though, I think if I can carry on as I am and not do anything silly, I should be able to run the 3:30 I'm training for. I'm off to Turkey for the week on saturday, so I'll miss out on the Bright10 on the 16th which is a shame - but if anyone wants a free entry they're more than welcome to mine.

Unable to run I stalk other people's marathons.
This looks a good one. A lot of round the houses but lovely Basque houses rather than New Church Road. That sandy beach beats Rio. Seems to avoid the massive hills San Sebastien is nestled into.

Enjoy it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well done on chalking up your 50. I'm just in front of you (if not in times and finishing positions) but I've noticed that some folk are north of 250 parkruns........impressed.

Thank you, I'm rather proud of my new red shirt given my antipathy to running prior to meeting my wife. :blush:

I think to notch up 250 you probably don't have other distractions though... like kids swimming lessons, etc, getting in the way. I did my first Parkrun in 2009 so I'm averaging less than 10 runs per year!! :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thank you, I'm rather proud of my new red shirt given my antipathy to running prior to meeting my wife. :blush:

I think to notch up 250 you probably don't have other distractions though... like kids swimming lessons, etc, getting in the way. I did my first Parkrun in 2009 so I'm averaging less than 10 runs per year!! :thumbsup:

I started in 2008 and averaging 8.62 a year with a heavy emphasis on the last 2 years.

When I started there were 97 runners at Hove Park and today it fluctuates around 400. Plus events at PP, Prom and Bevendean. An incredible succes story.

Can't wear the red 50 shirt as it clashes with my pink bald head and red hungover Saturday morning eyes.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Unable to run I stalk other people's marathons.
This looks a good one. A lot of round the houses but lovely Basque houses rather than New Church Road. That sandy beach beats Rio. Seems to avoid the massive hills San Sebastien is nestled into.

Enjoy it.

Got marathon jealousy after watching that

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I started in 2008 and averaging 8.62 a year with a heavy emphasis on the last 2 years.

When I started there were 97 runners at Hove Park and today it fluctuates around 400. Plus events at PP, Prom and Bevendean. An incredible succes story.

Can't wear the red 50 shirt as it clashes with my pink bald head and red hungover Saturday morning eyes.

Do you remember when the Hove Park course was 'under-measured'? Bad news for anyone who got their PB at this time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Started in 2009, didn't run it at all in 2010 and I'm up to 192. You're right in that it is easier without distractions – only lately have any of the kids had anything on Saturday mornings and he's old enough to get himself to that.

It just becomes part of my running routine and as I'm not one for laying in – even without the kids – 9am is no problem for me!

On the subject of numbers, I saw somewhere that there were only 27 or something at Bevendean on Saturday. I think [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] had his eye on a first place there at one stage – good time to do it, by the look of it (depending on fitness/injury, etc).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just checked on Power of Ten site and it was 2008 - it's flagged as "30 metres short"........perhaps it was before your debut.

I peaked in 2009 for Hove Park Parkrun. That year they had a one off double weekend for Paddle Round the Pier. Saturday in the Park and Sunday on the prom. Lawns to Lagoon and back. My flat, wind free, sunny but cool July Sunday run was my best Parkrun ever and bettered my Hove Park time by 12 seconds.
It is recorded as a Hove Park run.
Boring but true.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I peaked in 2009 for Hove Park Parkrun. That year they had a one off double weekend for Paddle Round the Pier. Saturday in the Park and Sunday on the prom. Lawns to Lagoon and back. My flat, wind free, sunny but cool July Sunday run was my best Parkrun ever and bettered my Hove Park time by 12 seconds.
It is recorded as a Hove Park run.
Boring but true.

You could still have a peak in front of you..............I've written myself off scores of times in my 40s and 50s and then got a PB at 61, so you never know.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You could still have a peak in front of you..............I've written myself off scores of times in my 40s and 50s and then got a PB at 61, so you never know.

Beating my 20 year old pb of 17:45 or my 7 year old Parkrun 19:33 pb would need a rocket behind me more than a peak in front of me....

This year I fractionally beat the AG for both those times with 20:19. The extra 47 seconds needed to beat my parkrun pb will not happen without bionic transplants. My target will be aiming at that sub 20 again next summer though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ben Smith has just completed the 401 Challenge. That's 401 marathons in 401 days, raising £250,000 in the process.

Bonkers, but amazing! :bowdown:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Beating my 20 year old pb of 17:45 or my 7 year old Parkrun 19:33 pb would need a rocket behind me more than a peak in front of me....

This year I fractionally beat the AG for both those times with 20:19. The extra 47 seconds needed to beat my parkrun pb will not happen without bionic transplants. My target will be aiming at that sub 20 again next summer though.

Yes - fair point. I had the advantage of being quite slow in my 50s! But AG rules OK.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Yes, I am going to do this one. Basically chose it because I want to get a trail marathon in before the end of the year and have heard good things about sussex trail events. I don't know much about the route though, is it likely to be a particularly tough one?

My guess is that the route will be; First few miles should be straight forward, flat along the Adur, then it'll be a long uphill from Botolphs, past the piggery picking up the South Down Way up to Chanctonbury Ring. Follow the SDW, past Chantonbury, great down hill, then another up. Follow the SDW ridge again, then another nice long down, follow the Adur what seems like ages, past Arundel, into Littlehampton.. then relax. In my opinion the first long, long hill is the toughest and as long as the wind is ok, prevailing west to east, means it could be a headwind.. it should be a good run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All - a very good running pal of mine has put together a free marathon workshop next week (Thursday13th) in Burgess Hill. I can't make it myself as I am away but I've had a sneak preview of some of the material and it looks fantastic. You don't necessarily need to be planning a marathon, or have already run one to attend - it'll have tons of interesting things and you'll definitely learn a lot. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] can also vouch for Jan's expertise if you need it. Would highly recommend going along if you can.

Details here - https://www.facebook.com/events/589958257830916/

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Alright? Haven't posted on this thread for a while.

Did anyone do the Jog Shop Jog 20 last Sunday?

Reason I'm asking is results - anyone seen any?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All - a very good running pal of mine has put together a free marathon workshop next week (Thursday13th) in Burgess Hill. I can't make it myself as I am away but I've had a sneak preview of some of the material and it looks fantastic. You don't necessarily need to be planning a marathon, or have already run one to attend - it'll have tons of interesting things and you'll definitely learn a lot. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] can also vouch for Jan's expertise if you need it. Would highly recommend going along if you can.

Details here - https://www.facebook.com/events/589958257830916/

Definitely. Jan is an excellent coach and really knowledgeable. You've actually reminded me to email her about Brighton 2017. She'll be delighted to know that, instead of starting with someone who's just run their best ever 10 mile time she'll be starting with an injury casualty who's rapidly losing aerobic fitness, probably putting up two kilos overweight and wants to go much faster than this year. Everyone loves a challenge, right?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Didn't do it this year but they either take ages or don't bother.....always the same!

I did another of their events a couple of years ago - the trailblazer - and had to email them a couple of times until I saw a results list

A race without results isn't a race and whilst for something low-key and local, I don't expect a text to my phone straight after finishing, for £20, I reckon they ought to try a bit harder. Effectively, that's £20 for some water stations.

Not that I'd be troubling the podium positions - just interested to see how my time compared to others.

I'll drop them an email..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here