Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
@Guiness Boy you have passed the injury onto me. I am now booked in for tomorrow lunchtime as ankle is not improving and fear ligament damage. On top of that my back is semi ceased maybe from spending an hour or two digging at the allotment every day this week.

As to gels I personally have no time at all. Over 20 miles and I will have some jelly babies and sports drink but not under. My up to 3 hour fuel is coconut fat.

Sorry to hear of your injury problems. I'm still grinding out OK times (21:53 yesterday) for the old git championship. Am planning to do the Hayling 10 miler in 3 weeks times and fear that my lightweight 5k training regime will be cruelly exposed!

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
What should a fit-ish 55 year old do the Brooks 10k in?

I am hoping to crack 50mins. Reasonable?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to hear of your injury problems. I'm still grinding out OK times (21:53 yesterday) for the old git championship. Am planning to do the Hayling 10 miler in 3 weeks times and fear that my lightweight 5k training regime will be cruelly exposed!

Thanks. I can run on the ankle but feel it afterwards. No swelling but getting it checked as do not want to up mileage and do any damage. As to the Age Grade comp, we have some youngsters joining in as they reach their 50s this year. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] was a 1/2% up on me yesterday.
You will have no threat from me until next summer. My last full effort Parkruns have been 22:30, 22:26 and 22:00 with no excuses only out of shape. Very disappointing after moving up a notch to 56! If ankle is sorted I will huff and puff through the Brooks 10k next week, think of eating mince pies at the finish line of the 10 mile mince pie on December 6 and then get on with running further rather than faster for Brighton Marathon training. Be interesting to compare AG on our 10 milers.

Good news is the back has improved today.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
What's your 5k time? Double it and add a minute.

That's encouraging as I've got my 5k pb down to 22:27, so that would give me 45:54 next Sunday, which is 2 mins 30 faster than I managed the BM10k in April. But I kind of think it's unlikely I'll knock that much off somehow.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
What should a fit-ish 55 year old do the Brooks 10k in?

I am hoping to crack 50mins. Reasonable?

Depends how much training you've done. I don't think it's just about being fit, but what kind of fit, and how used you are to that distance - I'm a fit-ish 60 year old and am aiming for 47 minutes, although the post from [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] suggests i might do a bit better than that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds promising then.

I did the Hove Prom ParkRun in 23. 53 and the Hove Park one in 24.30

Plenty of leeway then with a minute to spare. If you have run up to 5 miles or 8k in training you should break 50. Aim at 25" or 5" Kms for the first 5k then gradually give it what you can!

I'm doing it but not sure I'll be able to give it much after 5k or be able to double 5k and add a minute. Good luck and let us know your time.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Plenty of leeway then with a minute to spare. If you have run up to 5 miles or 8k in training you should break 50. Aim at 25" or 5" Kms for the first 5k then gradually give it what you can!

I'm doing it but not sure I'll be able to give it much after 5k or be able to double 5k and add a minute. Good luck and let us know your time.

Cheers, all sounds encouraging!

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Depends how much training you've done. I don't think it's just about being fit, but what kind of fit, and how used you are to that distance - I'm a fit-ish 60 year old and am aiming for 47 minutes, although the post from [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] suggests i might do a bit better than that.

47 mins wow!

May be next year for me :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
LOL, that would put me at 41 mins. PB 47 something (although to be fair I haven't done a proper timed 10k for 10 years)

Has to be your current 5k time rather than a pb. So I am going on 22x2 +2 as off the pace. My Guinea pigs are @bignuts who has to go sub 40 for my formula to be proven and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] sub 42:30. No pressure for me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok@wallyback [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=25508]soistes[/MENTION]. I just put it into the age grade calculator and it worked out at twice plus 2 minutes. Apologies. Still a sub 50 for wallyback. We can still let the Guinea pigs run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has to be your current 5k time rather than a pb. So I am going on 22x2 +2 as off the pace. My Guinea pigs are @bignuts who has to go sub 40 for my formula to be proven and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] sub 42:30. No pressure for me.

Half tempted to have a go at one just to see. Based on some very recent training runs, 7 min miles would be a real stretch, so something around 43-44 for me is probably about right (5k x 2 plus 3-4 mins).

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Runners world has a formula for estimating speed over comparative distance:

T2=1.06*T1*D2/D1 where T is time and D distance.

I have found this reasonably good. I suspect a lot will depend on the weather next Sunday. A weekend like this one will make it interesting!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Half tempted to have a go at one just to see. Based on some very recent training runs, 7 min miles would be a real stretch, so something around 43-44 for me is probably about right (5k x 2 plus 3-4 mins).

I suspect you'll be closer to 41 mins (calf injury allowing).

Sounds like we'll have astrong turn out for NSC runners next Sunday- bit early for a pint afterwards but maybe a civilised lattechino?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

The 5k + one minute rule has never quite worked for me. 19:17 5k pb should equate to 39:34 but my 10k pb is 40:42 so almost add two minutes for me.

My year after the Brighton Marathon has been gearing up for Sunday and to go sub 40 for the first time. Conditions would need to be better than this morning, although I was pleased with 8 miles in 54:23 despite a strong Easterly.

My mate who has done sub 40 previously and clocked 1:05:30 for the Bright 10 a few weeks ago was going to pace me for sub 40 but he has now dropped out with an injury so he's happy to sell on his place if anyone wants it?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mo Farah has a 5k 12:53 and 10k 26:46. Exactly double plus a minute. It obviously does not translate for us mere mortals. Good luck at smashing my 39:52 pb @Bignuts only raced it once back in the post war years. (First Iraq war thank you).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here