DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
You're a brave man entering btl right now . Most landlords are getting out

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't touch stocks and shares.For a start I know little about them.If I was loaded I would mix it about a bit but am not.

Property historically a sound investment but so many other factors to consider apart from pure value - liquidity, income, interest rate volatility (recent years have been very, very low and stable - not guaranteed to remain so). Not sure if the additional 3% stamp duty is having much effect yet ?

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Property historically a sound investment but so many other factors to consider apart from pure value - liquidity, income, interest rate volatility (recent years have been very, very low and stable - not guaranteed to remain so). Not sure if the additional 3% stamp duty is having much effect yet ?

You can make alot with stocks and shares and in a short period of time but for me it's too risky and as I said I know zilch about them.I'm happy to play it safe with property.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can make alot with stocks and shares and in a short period of time but for me it's too risky and as I said I know zilch about them.I'm happy to play it safe with property.

Not at all for me - very much a long term thing to avoid short term volatility. I'm no expert either, so I always use funds rather than direct equities.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Not at all for me - very much a long term thing to avoid short term volatility. I'm no expert either, so I always use funds rather than direct equities.

Well it seems you know about stocks and shares and where to put your money but I don't.As you know stocks and shares are almost like gambling.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Really ? I'm not getting out, and I don't know of any others who are. I don't take advantage of my tenants, I keep my rent down if I can, but it returns me a decent amount, so I'm happy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Let's say you had 100k.Where would you put it,what returns would you expect,in what space of time,and how safe?

I've talked about this on here before and I am sure people can find better, but I've used The Share Centre and taken my full ISA allowance and used it against their pre-packaged Stocks Share ISA. Given mine are long term investments I have taken a 'Adventurous' profile and on most of my years allowances I've seen around 15-30% growth since they were taken out.

https://www.share.com/accounts/isa/ready-made-isa/investment-choice/

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Really ? I'm not getting out, and I don't know of any others who are. I don't take advantage of my tenants, I keep my rent down if I can, but it returns me a decent amount, so I'm happy.

Anyone coming into it now is facing stamp duty surcharge and the prospect of slow capital growth for a while.
One you have a tenant, your profits will probably be eroded by changes to the tax system being phased in , in the four years heading up to 2020.
That’s not to say it can’t work, especially if you already have a place and longstanding tenants - sounds like you have a good arrangement , Tricky.
But any new btletters, thinking it’s easy money should do their homework.
Also If you’re buying a flat watch out for length of lease (plenty running down in Bn) and management charges.
A btl I bought in 2006 has done me ok but the tax changes mean it won’t be viable by 2020 . Also the management company changed and trebled maintenance charges. These are the main reasons I accepted an offer last week.
As for tenants - they can be great but can be a nightmare. You will be surprised how few rights you have if a tenant plays up. For example when a tenant handed in their notice I arranged viewings but when I spoke to her to arrange access she said no, no to any access for viewings at any time. no reason given.
Turns out tenants can do this. That meant I couldn’t do viewings til after she’d gone. The flat ended up being empty for 6 weeks.
I only say all this as a friend of mine was going on about buying a btl and had no idea about the realities and tax changes etc. It was frightening , how little he knew given the money he was considering ploughing in. Go in with your eyes open.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've talked about this on here before and I am sure people can find better, but I've used The Share Centre and taken my full ISA allowance and used it against their pre-packaged Stocks Share ISA. Given mine are long term investments I have taken a 'Adventurous' profile and on most of my years allowances I've seen around 15-30% growth since they were taken out.

....and all tax free in the ISA wrapper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't disbelieve you - have stats been released showing they're getting out, or is that just what's stated in the media or what?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A btl I bought in 2006 has done me ok but the tax changes mean it won’t be viable by 2020
Viable? Rents have increased since then, property prices have doubled, how is it not viable? I bought a btl in 2006, and the rent could be 3 times the current mortgage.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Viable? Rents have increased since then, property prices have doubled, how is it not viable? I bought a btl in 2006, and the rent could be 3 times the current mortgage.

Sadly we are not talking about people who bought quite a few years ago, but deluded idiots today who still think its viable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The weak £ post Brexit vote has given huge growth in uk equities prices. It was a one off.

But graphs over any medium to long term timescale, show residential property in SE England destroys everything else on capital appreciation. Simple principle of supply & demand - nimby councils and communities fight all developments, whilst the population keeps increasing as do the number of family units.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here