Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Glenn Murray an Albion legend?

Is Glenn Murray an Albion legend?

• Yes he is

Votes: 341 88.3%
  • He's not yet, but he could become one

Votes: 36 9.3%
  • He could never be an Albion legend

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes ....

.... playing wise, particularly for his goals, he probably is a legend. The problem being that all our other legends there's been some sort of enthusiasm from then - a warm personality, a gratefulness of the fans and of being here. We don't seem to get that from Murray - just not someone I've warmed to. He never looks really happy.

I know, pathetic reason to say he's not a legend but there you go ....

Your opinion of course, but that is a load of unfettered horse crap. Are you still upset that he didn't wave to the fans at Brentford?

Also, see the post 2 down from yours.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

.... playing wise, particularly for his goals, he probably is a legend. The problem being that all our other legends there's been some sort of enthusiasm from then - a warm personality, a gratefulness of the fans and of being here. We don't seem to get that from Murray - just not someone I've warmed to. He never looks really happy.

You're absolutely right.

It is a pathetic reason.

He is a quiet, slightly aloof but tenacious player who does his talking on the pitch. He even showed yesterday just how aware he is of his own shortcomings, and still managed to turn them to advantage. That said, in interviews he is wickedly funny, open and honest.

But for Poyet's dreadful decision to offload him, he would have been the club's all-time leading scorer a long time ago - he may well be that soon (well, postwar). However, he came back (what's that about 'never go back?') and picked up where he left off.

Of course he's a bloody legend.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

That was somewhat true last time around, but it's completely not true this time around. He's always smiling and looks absolutely chuffed when he scores and when we win.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course he is.

He never wanted to leave - huge mistake by Poyet. (Nearly as big a mistake as Palace letting him go to Bournemouth - it must be so galling for them up the road to watch him score the goals that will keep us up whilst their £30 million striker scores a goal every six months.)

Even when Glenn went 'there' he still ran around Preston Park in his Albion training top.

Yep, he's a legend.

How many more goals does he need to overtake Peter Ward?

Another four, I believe (needs checking).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Kind of understand where you’re coming from but I think even that has changed significantly, particularly since the New Year. He looks and sounds more engaged, his goal celebrations are more enthusiastic than ever (loved his pointing at the Arsenal ranks yesterday) and he’s heaping praise on his team-mates more than ever. I think he’s a fairly private, understated individual who keeps himself to himself - even a bit dour perhaps - but not everyone has to be an arrogant ‘look at me’ type (luckily we have few, if any, of these).

Is he a legend ? Of course he bloody is.

D

Deleted member 2719

I can't see how he can ever become a legend, when he went to Palarse and then tried to go back again.

Some fans are blinded by the hype, the media even believe he is our saviour, he has 4 pens to his name and has had some amazing balls played into for him to finish, from Gross.

This is a team performance not just a Muzza and Chris show.
It's great that Muzza has raised back to what he can produce but I would be applauding the recruitment team for his return to full ability.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
IHe never looks really happy.

Here's his glum face on final whistle yesterday.

glenn.png

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
i could pick dozens of interviews but how about this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTNWKpMAbww

Yeah, this was amazing. God forbid he's just a nice guy who gets on with his job. He isn't an AK with his celebrations and the like but so what? He clearly loves the city, his record for us is undeniable, and he is obviously a really lovely man.

And Christ, after seeing Ozil's behaviour yesterday we really have NOTHING to complain about about any of our players.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What many people will hold against Murray is that he doesnt look happy or he played for palace.

You would need to understand Murray to understand why thoae things may happen.

From what i have heard, he sees football as a job. He us good at it, he can earn good money for it. If he was going to be passionate about any club it would have been his home town club he played for. That doesnt mean he doesnt want to do well or he isnt trying. Its just a more commercial arfangement. Hence when he left brighton he was more concerned about finding a club that could gelp him financially with ensuring his ex and their kid was financially secure whilst allowing him to oive in brighton which suited his now partner and their family. If we werent going to pay him what he was worth then someone else locally who could would do. Hence Palace. And then hence Reading and Bournemouth and back to us.

None of that shoul take it away that he has 12 goals with 9 games to go and could become maybe our second or third best top division scorer in a season in the top division (ward with 18 and robinson with 22 both from 42 games are ahead of him and maybe out of reach, whilst Ritchie with 14 from 42 is catchable)

So for me - legend

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fired us to two promotions from two different divisions and now likely Premier League survival. Undoubtedly yes.
Indeed.
Just a shame he's a Palace legend too
You know leaving them to come and help us do better than them may even make it better.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Fired us to two promotions from two different divisions and now likely Premier League survival. Undoubtedly yes. Just a shame he's a Palace legend too, but at least we should definitely have the last laugh.

The positive is that now Palace fans are ruing letting him leave and saying he's better than Benteke so I think its even sweeter he's been there and now doing the biz for us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Out of touch with reality. Mistaking the lack of an overtly smiling face to your exacting standards, with a naturally shy person. I've met him in both his first spell and in the last year, where he has always showed natural warmth and time for fans. For example in our local gym, a disabled fan is really chuffed to see him each time, and Murray responds with time and friendliness (even though its his private time).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Somehow doesn't come across as the "legend" type, but he most certainly is one. Will he ever match Zamora in the eyes of Seagulls supporters? He should do, but somehow Bobby in his heyday may have had more about him. No doubt however that Glenn is up there among the best.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Not pathetic, the player's love for the club should come into it. But the Muzza you describe is the one that played at the Withdean, and to be honest I was pretty miserable there half the time too :lol:

Have you not watched his interviews on Player over the last year and a half? He is warm and happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here