Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hills, intervals and sprints 3 times a week plus two 6 mile runs is not easing back into running! It's intensive.

Spend two weeks jogging about feeling happy to be running and throw in some gradual and short faster work in between the warm ups and warm downs. Then do a Parkrun at 27" and tell yourself you've lost if you do it quicker.

100% this - surest way of messing yourself up again.

If you can get to a gym, use the elliptical trainer - you can replicate running sessions on it quite easily (intervals/tempo/hill/easy runs) without stressing the calf too much. After a calf tear (I've had several) you need to start reloading the calf very gently - short jog/walks to start with (minute on/minute off king of thing) but you'l be able to progress pretty quickly. Assuming no other problems it's usually 3-4 weeks of a 'return to running' schedule before you're fully back on plan (obviously getting progressively closer). Also very worth getting a sports massage as recovery continues to to deal with any scar tissue in and around the site of the tear.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Great weekend running NSCers. Half marathon to Worthing and back on Friday night and 2.75km in the sea Sunday morning. Quite a productive 12 hours, purely because the rest of the weekend was jam-packed. No time for the bike ride, which I hopefully won't come to regret...

So bloody hot for training!

Sounds like you guys have been having similar weather to us. I did a tempo run with my friend on Thursday and the humidity was ridiculous. Absolutely dripping with sweat after about 1k.

I've been stuck in a bit of rut recently, just running 10k. I find it a comfortable distance to keep me ticking over when I'm not training for anything in particular. I did manage a 13k yesterday, and I should probably do some longer runs as I promised to pace my friend for some of the Erie Marathon in September.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I use the marathon training plans from Runners World (.co.uk, not the US website). I can’t recommend them enough. They have lots of options for time and number of days per week you can commit etc; something for everyone. As you’re looking at a PB around the 3 hour mark, I presume, you’ll be looking at 6 or 7 day plans though. They have been around for years and are tried and tested when it comes to the balance of speed, endurance, recovery and rest. The recovery and rest elements should not be overlooked; I’ve been a bit stupid in the past and when I have missed a day I have doubled up instead of just forgetting about it and moving on; the plans actually recommend dropping a week day endurance run but keeping speed work if you can’t fit all the weeks training in. Every time I’ve stuck to the plan, and met all the daily targets etc, I’ve come in on time or quicker. The marathon plans are 16 weeks and you need to ensure you have the specified entry level of fitness before starting.

And good luck.

I have used one of those previously and it was very good - I will be consulting with their plans and then working out with my mate what we reckon. He's a guy with all sorts of running experience, including winning Hove Park parkrun in 16:02 (once, only once!). He knows a lot about training and conditioning and his training plan got me my 18:23 parkrun PB. One of the key things I need to consider is behaviour on the day - and preventing the usual early blow out. We'll see what happens and I'm sure there will be the occasional post!

I used the Hal Higdon training plans in the winter:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training/marathon-training/

My plan was roughly based on the Advanced 1, although I usually made Monday a rest day and added a bit to the midweek miles. This was mainly because I'd go quite hard at the end of my Sunday long runs and really needed that extra rest day. I often swapped around the midweek runs and sometimes do the Saturday run on a Friday night (mainly because Brighton games were on at 10am here!) but I did every single run for the full 18 weeks. It definitely paid off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used the Hal Higdon training plans in the winter:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training/marathon-training/

My plan was roughly based on the Advanced 1, although I usually made Monday a rest day and added a bit to the midweek miles. This was mainly because I'd go quite hard at the end of my Sunday long runs and really needed that extra rest day. I often swapped around the midweek runs and sometimes do the Saturday run on a Friday night (mainly because Brighton games were on at 10am here!) but I did every single run for the full 18 weeks. It definitely paid off.

Thanks. I’ll take a look at these plans.

As an aside the “hard” end to the Sunday long run is something I plan to add to my raining for a couple of months. I want to get used having to go all out at the end as I figure it’s a useful attribute to have.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks. I’ll take a look at these plans.

As an aside the “hard” end to the Sunday long run is something I plan to add to my raining for a couple of months. I want to get used having to go all out at the end as I figure it’s a useful attribute to have.

I think it really helped me get an idea of the pace I could keep up in the marathon. There were times where I'd put in a faster final 5k and come home still feeling like I had more in the tank.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
100% this - surest way of messing yourself up again.

If you can get to a gym, use the elliptical trainer - you can replicate running sessions on it quite easily (intervals/tempo/hill/easy runs) without stressing the calf too much. After a calf tear (I've had several) you need to start reloading the calf very gently - short jog/walks to start with (minute on/minute off king of thing) but you'l be able to progress pretty quickly. Assuming no other problems it's usually 3-4 weeks of a 'return to running' schedule before you're fully back on plan (obviously getting progressively closer). Also very worth getting a sports massage as recovery continues to to deal with any scar tissue in and around the site of the tear.

Thank you, more wise words from another NSC big hitter!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Phoenix 10k route change to avoid The View means course is now unverified https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1737360356345082&id=289687124445753&__tn__=*s*s-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That screen in the tent sounds good. I may turn up with a few cans of refreshment and enjoy the sea breeze and empty tent either side of half time. Definitely not running.
There is another hindrance en route at Hove Lagoon. There is a pump going across the prom from the sea to the Lagoon and pedestrians/runners are kettlled through a 20' opening with a slight ramp over the pump.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That screen in the tent sounds good. I may turn up with a few cans of refreshment and enjoy the sea breeze and empty tent either side of half time. Definitely not running.
There is another hindrance en route at Hove Lagoon. There is a pump going across the prom from the sea to the Lagoon and pedestrians/runners are kettlled through a 20' opening with a slight ramp over the pump.

True dat. I nearly tripped over the fecker on Saturday.

I subsequently swam about 50 yards away. Hopefully the pump isn't for what I think it is for :eek:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stopped at the beginning of the third 4 X 800m interval today. Niggle high up left calf and to the left and almost the side of calf. New one for me. Should ease up in a few days as stopped within 3 minutes of first niggle. Spotted the Ninja doing some recovery work for tomorrow night.

Any ideas what muscle that is so I can do some gentle stretching?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Found it. The lateral head of the gastrocnemius. Used to plantarflex or extend the ankle. I blame the cycling hill intervals.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you want to run a really fast mile, it turns out an 18-mile bike ride up and down some hills is the perfect warm-up. That was my brick session this morning and averaged 7'47 for a 1.4-mile run, which is the quickest I've gone since April, pre-Brighton Marathon!

Six miles planned for the morning (and a swim), which won't be anywhere near as quick!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you want to run a really fast mile, it turns out an 18-mile bike ride up and down some hills is the perfect warm-up. That was my brick session this morning and averaged 7'47 for a 1.4-mile run, which is the quickest I've gone since April, pre-Brighton Marathon!

Six miles planned for the morning (and a swim), which won't be anywhere near as quick!

Just a couple of miles jogging set me up for sub 6:30 mile albeit with a 400m jog recovery in the middle.........................

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'll be with you in spirit tonight - here's my 10k for the day. The pace was still there after yesterday, amazingly!

Boring route though - I was literally running down OSR and no Brighton aces to be seen.
7ddf66460fdefe05343577044bd06725.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is the biggest race since Zatopeks 1952 Helsinki triumph at 5000m still on tonight [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] ? Wish you both luck in the Phoenix 10K if so as will be otherwise occupied myself.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've chosen to cave. The game is too important, we don't know when the opportunity is going to come along again - maybe never. I'm off work this week, so I'm going to run the course at some point this afternoon instead and set a time. I've messaged [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] about his availability to make it a 1 vs 1, but given the circumstances, I think it's the right decision.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'll be with you in spirit tonight - here's my 10k for the day. The pace was still there after yesterday, amazingly!

Boring route though - I was literally running down OSR and no Brighton aces to be seen.
7ddf66460fdefe05343577044bd06725.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is 'COLLAPSE' what you did at the end? I know it's what I did at the end of my own 45 minute 10k today... in the kids new paddling pool, which I've discovered is big enough for me to lie down in!

:cool:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The terms are agreed - instead of the Phoenix 10k, [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I are going to compete on the same course but earlier. We'll be kicking off around 5:15 from the Lawns and running the same route, but as a gents race. It's a shoot out, 1st is everything and 2nd is nothing!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The terms are agreed - instead of the Phoenix 10k, [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and I are going to compete on the same course but earlier. We'll be kicking off around 5:15 from the Lawns and running the same route, but as a gents race. It's a shoot out, 1st is everything and 2nd is nothing!

Nice little bit of pre semi entertainment...I'll grab a deck chair.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I’m out of the head to Head due to some poor parenting on my part. I’ll have to make my way to hove lawns around 6pm from mine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here