Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quality of refereeing

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]571753035673808896[/tweet]

Perhaps Wes said something that got him sent off?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]571753035673808896[/tweet]

Perhaps Wes said something that got him sent off?

From the bbc sport page

Referee Roger East red-carded Brown and, despite the official speaking to his assistants via his headset, his original decision stood. The fourth official for the game was Martin Atkinson, who was criticised for his refereeing when Chelsea drew with Burnley last week.
After the match, the referees' body in English football released a statement claiming East had seen contact from both O'Shea and Brown on Falcao.
It added that East chose to dismiss Brown and not O'Shea because he thought the former had fouled Falcao while he was in the act of shooting.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
From the bbc sport page

Referee Roger East red-carded Brown and, despite the official speaking to his assistants via his headset, his original decision stood. The fourth official for the game was Martin Atkinson, who was criticised for his refereeing when Chelsea drew with Burnley last week.
After the match, the referees' body in English football released a statement claiming East had seen contact from both O'Shea and Brown on Falcao.
It added that East chose to dismiss Brown and not O'Shea because he thought the former had fouled Falcao while he was in the act of shooting.

The ref not saying he made an error and trying to cover up his mistake makes this even more of a mockery and the exact reason I started the thread, so once again a huge mistake was made and the ref will be back next week with no issues, even though he is now lying

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is doing his best to avoid further criticiscm but is digging in deeper. No doubt MOTD will jump on his actions and subsequent comments. Sunderland are bound to appeal, if this stands is it Browns 3rd red card this season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd be in favour of a massive crackdown on dissent, personally. I'm fed up with watching the likes of John Terry and Wayne Rooney screaming abuse, getting so close to the referee's face, he's probably showering the poor bloke with spit in the process. Yeah, refs make mistakes, well here's news for you, John Terry: so do you, and nobody jumps in your face when you've scored an own goal to tell you what a ****ing tosser you are (not on the pitch, at any rate).

None of that should be permitted (well, I mean, if you read the Laws, it isn't, but it's never enforced in professional football). I'm not a big rugby fan, but there's something quite impressive about the way referees are respected there, no matter what's gone on.

So I'd insist all referees have to be addressed as "Sir" by footballers :lol:, I'd dish out instant yellows for the slightest hint of dissent, foul & abusive language, or surrounding the referee, and bring back the ten yard penalty that briefly existed in the Football League until the poor little footballers decided they didn't like it being penalised for breaking the rules.

Sure: we'd get a few games at the start where it ended eight a side, but even footballers would soon learn where the boundaries lie.

Actually, thinking about rugby: I wonder if miking the refs up so that the crowd can hear their rationale for decisions would work? Perhaps that might also crack down on abusive behaviour, as I can't imagine even an overpaid pillock like Terry would want 45,000 people to hear him calling a referee on £75,000 per year a "****ing useless ****".

I totally agree, refs need to crack down on it - I personally thought they brought in a rule saying only the captain could talk to the ref?

Problem is the FA, they don't support or back up the refs, which means the players can say or do what they want without punishment.

This leads on to no one wanting to be a ref and the standard dropping.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The ref not saying he made an error and trying to cover up his mistake makes this even more of a mockery and the exact reason I started the thread, so once again a huge mistake was made and the ref will be back next week with no issues, even though he is now lying

Have you seen the tackle in question yet?

I can see why the ref sent off Brown and not Oshea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting assesment of the premier league refs in The Sun yesterday by Mark Halsey. He says Phil Dowd was a good ref but is now too slow and continually out of position. He says Mark Clattenberg is the best.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have you seen the tackle in question yet?

I can see why the ref sent off Brown and not Oshea.

That isn't the point though. If you have seen the analysis of the tackle it is clear that O'Shea is the one that fouls Falcao and not Brown, if, and that is a big if, there was any contact from Brown it was inconsequential and not enough to bring Falcao down. Now everyone can make mistakes and what the statement should have said was that the ref saw the foul from O'Shea but allowed play to continue, probably to see if Falcao could stab the ball home but then believed there was further contact from Brown which prevented a goal scoring opportunity hence the sending off. It should then have said that having reviewed the incident they accept a mistake was made.

The fact they haven't said what is clear to everyone is indicative of the arrogance and a major part of the problem with referring in this country.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That isn't the point though. If you have seen the analysis of the tackle it is clear that O'Shea is the one that fouls Falcao and not Brown, if, and that is a big if, there was any contact from Brown it was inconsequential and not enough to bring Falcao down. Now everyone can make mistakes and what the statement should have said was that the ref saw the foul from O'Shea but allowed play to continue, probably to see if Falcao could stab the ball home but then believed there was further contact from Brown which prevented a goal scoring opportunity hence the sending off. It should then have said that having reviewed the incident they accept a mistake was made.

The fact they haven't said what is clear to everyone is indicative of the arrogance and a major part of the problem with referring in this country.

No more arrogant then the players, I don't think the majority of the top refs in this country are.

But when they try and make a joke with the players (Clattenburg with Llalana last year) they get reported, so if they are that way can you blame them for being like that and unapproachable?

I am not denying there is a problem with ref's in this country, but I don't see why they should have to answer for mistakes they have been shown up for making after 5 replays at different angles, players don't.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
the problem with refs is they are always under the spotlight, even more so now, i wouldnt want to be a referee in this day and age, admitidly the standard is woeful at best this year, but we have created a culture of hounding refs at every decision.

its not just the prem where refs are struggling, if we backed refs and made their jobs easier, there wouldnt be a problem

nobody hounds refs in rugby because the players and fans respect his decision as final

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

sounds about right
+ the ref forgot that Fergie was not MU manager now

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
the problem with refs is they are always under the spotlight, even more so now, i wouldnt want to be a referee in this day and age, admitidly the standard is woeful at best this year, but we have created a culture of hounding refs at every decision.

its not just the prem where refs are struggling, if we backed refs and made their jobs easier, there wouldnt be a problem

nobody hounds refs in rugby because the players and fans respect his decision as final

Every defeat is the refs fault.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No more arrogant then the players, I don't think the majority of the top refs in this country are.

But when they try and make a joke with the players (Clattenburg with Llalana last year) they get reported, so if they are that way can you blame them for being like that and unapproachable?

I am not denying there is a problem with ref's in this country, but I don't see why they should have to answer for mistakes they have been shown up for making after 5 replays at different angles, players don't.

But the point is that the refs are in charge and have a greater power to influence the attitude of players. Players make a mistake and miss a goal, they can't come on and so no I didn't, I scored but everyone else thought it was a goal kick. There are also plenty of players who have held their hand up when they have reacted badly or made a bad tackle or they admit that they didn''t have a great game. There are of course some that don't.

Also, it is irrelevant whether there were five replays because everyone accepts that refs can make mistakes but they would be better to admit it once they too have had the chance to see the replays instead of going into a state of denial.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

If Brown had touched him where the ref said he did then it cannot be a red card as he was not last man and at that point there was no clear goal scoring opportunity. O'Shea did foul him and I agree with the red card. My issue is with the report the ref gave he has tried to cover his own ass but made it worse because if he said it was the first foul by brown then at worst it should be a yellow for him.

I think if he came out after and said sorry got it wrong but I still think one of them should have been sent off but I got the wrong person then fair enough, but to deny you made a mistake just makes it look worse than it is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here