Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Dunk sending off

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
I'm not saying you don't deserve to be fifth and, ignoring our problems this season, I'd far rather see teams come up from League 1 and do well like you and Bournemouth than teams like Forest. I know you kept a clean sheet yesterday but think your defence might have to improve a bit to stay in the top six. You also created a lot of chances in the two games against us recently and have only a deflected goal to show for it (but there's a lot of teams who lack a great finisher at this level including us).

Our defence does need to improve but the pair we have there at the moment haven't played together much and are still getting used to the partnership, bound to make mistakes at this level but they'll only get better. Finishing is something we need to improve on. In honesty I still can't see us making the Play Offs but whatever happens none of our fans can complain at where we are now.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The ref was unfair and Dunk did what a lot of us pub players would have done but Dunk is not a pub player, he's a well paid pro and on a yellow card. Why give the ref an excuse and pretty well ruin our chances?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No, tapping it back because after Dunk had gone to ground he had started to run off with the ball and had it at his feet when the play was stopped. Because the ball was at his feet he turned to tap the ball back in an honest way. He wasn't doing anything that constituted time wasting, he didn't have a chance before Dunk was pushing him.
Watch it again, he knew exactly what he was doing.
He glanced behind him, saw Dunk was there then kicked it away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was talking to someone after the game who in turn was sitting next to the referee's assesssor during the game. He was, apparently, furiously making copious notes including watching some of the match with mouth agape, eyes-closed-shaking-head-slowly at some of the decisions and control.
:lol: Nice to know the assessors are as bewildered as the rest of us.

Notwithstanding the Dunk second yellow, there were times like advantage being played for an offside being given, a Brighton free-kick which he allowed to have happen while the ball was still bouncing, allowing the game to continue while the trainer was on the pitch to get to CMS.
And when there was an offside against Brentford which we took quickly and were in a good position, and he made it get taken again as he thought it was in the wrong place - if he'd looked to where his linesman was flagging he'd have seen we had taken it in the right place.

I imagine, as the game finished, him thinking to himself 'I've done well there'. Clueless.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I didn't see the incident where you say Jota was lucky not to be sent off so can't say whether he was or wasn't. I didn't think the decisions went particularly for us, can think of a few occasions where your players were getting away with things. As for luck, in my opinion we should have scored more and our finishing/trying to walk the ball in the net is going to cost us (and has already in some games), but I don't think we were lucky to win yesterday much as the last few minutes were a nervous watch.

Oh you were 100% very lucky to win yesterday and you know it. Deflected goal. Dodgey red. Ref who may as well had a Brentford shirt on. Anything that happens after the red becomes fairly irrelevant - of course you're going to have clear chances...

I appreciate you're happy you've won your cup final and seen a proper stadium - even managed a song once you'd scored...!!!!! I guess you were shocked that you'd taken over 2k away but that shock shouldn't have lasted half hour at the start of the game... Ok ok a bit of :fishing: there but you were lucky. Good team though I must admit.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Watch it again, he knew exactly what he was doing.
He glanced behind him, saw Dunk was there then kicked it away.

Of course he did. Anyone who plays football knows he knew what he was doing too - see it all the time. [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] is def wrong on this occasion & has been fooled by Jotas cheating too :)

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A qualified referee and you use the word 'probably'. Much faith has been restored in the profession.

I cant remember every time the ref blew the whistle, there may have been more correct decisions - but if there was, then I certainly cant remember them. At the time it happens - its completely different. That said, you do need to remember bookings and key incidents if you need to do a report for whatever reason, which is in Dunks case.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Did you see the incident clearly? As I posted earlier sitting in ESU Dunk used both hands and shoved the player square in the chest. Right in front of ref - just stupid

Definite shove as the TV showed but we see that sort of thing all the time in football. I could understand the yellow if Dunk hadn't been booked but I would have thought, as others have said, that common-sense would have been a stern talking to for both players and just get on with it.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Eejut, bloody eejut

DUN.JPG

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Officials on Saturday were poor but let's not blame the ref for Dunk's sending off.

Many have commented in the past that the majority of professional footballers are pretty thick and stupid. Dunk has proved that they clearly have a point. His actions that got him send off were immature and idiotic. I hope the club have imposed a two weeks wages "stupidity tax" on him. Let the club, supporters and team mates down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Officials on Saturday were poor but let's not blame the ref for Dunk's sending off.

Many have commented in the past that the majority of professional footballers are pretty thick and stupid. Dunk has proved that they clearly have a point. His actions that got him send off were immature and idiotic. I hope the club have imposed a two weeks wages "stupidity tax" on him. Let the club, supporters and team mates down.

Never a booking. If that had been during play, then it might have been a free kick, but never a booking, not for a push. So why, in this instance when Dunk is trying to get the ball for OUR free kick is it a booking?

If the ref is judging a push to be a cautionable offence, he has to judge if that push has been 'violent' or 'reckless', for which Dunk's is neither. Taken with the fact it was a free kick to which their player is obstructing, then the decision is even more ridiculous.

We're 1 down, Dunk is trying to get on with the game and take our free kick, and has not done any different to what most players would do if someone was obstructing them getting the ball to take a free kick.

People seem to think a 'push' in football is an automative yellow or even red card. It isn't. As said, raising your hands has to be a violent or reckless act toward the opponent, not a simple push to his arm to get him off the ball.

Ridiculous decision.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Definite shove as the TV showed but we see that sort of thing all the time in football. I could understand the yellow if Dunk hadn't been booked but I would have thought, as others have said, that common-sense would have been a stern talking to for both players and just get on with it.

As said above, I can't even see why it's a yellow? A push is not an automatic caution offence. Push to his head, then yes, to his arm to get the ball, not in my book. I agree with the common sense definitely, but even if Dunk wasn't on a yellow, I don't think that is a yellow card. If the ref is judging that to be 'reckless' and/or 'violent' then he's got it wrong.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have never seen a more blatant sending off in my life

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never a booking. If that had been during play, then it might have been a free kick, but never a booking, not for a push. So why, in this instance when Dunk is trying to get the ball for OUR free kick is it a booking?

If the ref is judging a push to be a cautionable offence, he has to judge if that push has been 'violent' or 'reckless', for which Dunk's is neither. Taken with the fact it was a free kick to which their player is obstructing, then the decision is even more ridiculous.

We're 1 down, Dunk is trying to get on with the game and take our free kick, and has not done any different to what most players would do if someone was obstructing them getting the ball to take a free kick.

People seem to think a 'push' in football is an automative yellow or even red card. It isn't. As said, raising your hands has to be a violent or reckless act toward the opponent, not a simple push to his arm to get him off the ball.

Ridiculous decision.
Exactly my thoughts.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Really? You surprise me ..even pushing aside the rights and wrongs in this case

It was a stone wall yellow in the first half when Dunk hacked their player down and then he pushes a bloke over in the second half on the back of that first yellow, gave the ref no choice whatsoever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here