Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Last season I had to go to the Isle of Wight to see my lad whilst we were playing at Birmingham. (I was going but family first) I phoned a pub in Newport and asked if there was any chance they could show the game (MUFC were on at the same time.)
‘Oh we only have one of them, its all Pompey and Southampton here See what I can do love’
Turned up on the night and the big screen was all tuned into St Andrews when I arrived, could not have been nicer.
The landlady even refused to let the band set up for the evening as it would disrupt my concentration during the game. (I had now cleared the bar out by this time) After my victory lap around the pub after the 93rd minute winner, annnoying the amused Geordie at the bar, a Large donation to the charity box was forthcoming.
Great night.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I thoght it was a great video, really summed up the experience of being a distant fan. I have watched the odd game from afar in a pub where you have had to pursuade the owner to put the sound on. Would have been great to have had this experience.

Somone on the bus into the Palace game was a Man U fan who had bought a seasson ticket at the Albion last season. So we have glory hunters as well.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I thoght it was a great video, really summed up the experience of being a distant fan. I have watched the odd game from afar in a pub where you have had to pursuade the owner to put the sound on. Would have been great to have had this experience.

Somone on the bus into the Palace game was a Man U fan who had bought a seasson ticket at the Albion last season. So we have glory hunters as well.

Of course we have exiles but they are from the Sussex area and moved away. Some of these goons are Brighton born and bred, big difference. I have no issues with the genuine scousers who have moved down south.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Some of these goons are Brighton born and bred, big difference. I have no issues with the genuine scousers who have moved down south.

Does that then apply to the handfull of Brighton and Hove Albion fans I know then that were born and brought up in other far flung places, well away from Sussex.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Does that then apply to the handfull of Brighton and Hove Albion fans I know then that were born and brought up in other far flung places, well away from Sussex.

I would argue that they have not exactly picked a team for glory hunting. Most Liverpool fans from the south in their late 30s and 40s picked Liverpool because they were the best team in the 80s, in other words GLORY BOYS.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well I think its a great video and would love to walk into a bar far away from Brighton and experience this with other exciled Albion fans. People support different clubs for different reasons, when I was 5 my Nan bought me an Arsenal mug beacuse I liked the gun and I supported them along side th Albion in different leagues.

Each to their own, but I for one don't have any animosilty to any Albion glory hunters and hope they enjoy the ride.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well I think its a great video and would love to walk into a bar far away from Brighton and experience this with other exciled Albion fans. People support different clubs for different reasons, when I was 5 my Nan bought me an Arsenal mug beacuse I liked the gun and I supported them along side th Albion in different leagues.

Each to their own, but I for one don't have any animosilty to any Albion glory hunters and hope they enjoy the ride.

They are for the most part not exiles in the video. You liked Arsenal when you were 5, but you grew up. These people didn't.

Anybody from Liverpool or anywhere else outside of Sussex who wants to hop on board the albion bus is welcome, the key difference being that they wouldn't be supporting us just to align themselves with success.

I agree it would be lovely to walk into a far away pub and feel at home. I can't say I wouldn't be baffled though at a hundred scousers belting out sussex by the sea. I won't ever have to be in that situation though, because we simply aren't successful enough for these types of 'fans'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They are for the most part not exiles in the video. You liked Arsenal when you were 5, but you grew up. These people didn't.

Anybody from Liverpool or anywhere else outside of Sussex who wants to hop on board the albion bus is welcome, the key difference being that they wouldn't be supporting us just to align themselves with success.

I agree it would be lovely to walk into a far away pub and feel at home. I can't say I wouldn't be baffled though at a hundred scousers belting out sussex by the sea. I won't ever have to be in that situation though, because we simply aren't successful enough for these types of 'fans'.

It's human nature to be drawn to sporting teams that have flair players and/or win the big prizes.

Liverpool, Arsenal and Spuds miss out year after year after year on the PL and CL, due to the huge cash inflows into ManU, ManC and Chelsea. So people certainly are not choosing Liverpool and the other two as glory hunters.

Instead they just fall for those clubs. It always been the same, long before Sky. At a Sussex school in the 70's and early 80's, tons of kids there were big fans of clubs other than the Albion. They've kept up those allegiances and often passed that love on to their kids.

We're never going to be a hotbed such as Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle or Manchester where 95% follow the local club/s.

Everyone to their own.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I used to work with a guy who is a Liverpool fan, says he’s been to Anfield loads of times, but when I asked him what Stand he sat in he couldn’t answer ! Also made up some bullishly about he was going to Hillsboro but didn’t feel well, therefore claiming that saved his life !! Total bell end !!

Gull & Chips

Nov 30, 2017
liverpool fan here, live down here.

I know a bunch of liverpool fans down here (never knew of of this carry on in the K&Q though.. i've even seen a game or two in there). Of the 2 who are closest mates
one has a season ticket for you lot, the other had enough points for 3 tickets (west stand) to see todays game. My point being people love football enough to support their local team (except today) even when their heart is elsewhere.
not sure how this relates to the 'Brighton Kop' but live and let live I say . At least the kids round here aren't wearing Chelsea shirts anymore..

1-5 . what the ****. seen you a few times this season but our front line made you look like Brighton !!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
To be fair to the Brighton Kop, they make a lot more noise than than the 3,000 "proper" fans today.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I know a bunch of liverpool fans down here (never knew of of this carry on in the K&Q though.. i've even seen a game or two in there). Of the 2 who are closest mates
one has a season ticket for you lot, the other had enough points for 3 tickets (west stand) to see todays game. My point being people love football enough to support their local team (except today) even when their heart is elsewhere.
not sure how this relates to the 'Brighton Kop' but live and let live I say . At least the kids round here aren't wearing Chelsea shirts anymore..

1-5 . what the ****. seen you a few times this season but our front line made you look like Brighton !!

Enough points to buy 3 tickets ???

Gull & Chips

Nov 30, 2017
Enough points to buy 3 tickets ???

sorry .. in clearer english. My purchase history / fan card membership didn't offer me enough privileges to buy tickets to sit with the brighton fans. Ive been to two home matches this season.

My friend, a Liverpool fan, has spent enough money on tickets and fan cards for himself and his family coming to watch his second team , Brighton and hove albion, that he was able to purchase 3 tickets for todays game. any clearer ? (most clubs have a points system for allocating tickets by one name or another excuse me for not knowing what you call call yours)

Luckily for me some friends couldn't make the journey due to unforeseen circumstances and kindly offered to pass their tickets on to me for todays match.

and what a game. Glad you are happy you sang the loudest :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:mad::mad:
As clear as mud that post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here