Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The “cultural” boycott of Isreal

luge

Dec 18, 2010
The boycott is utterly ridiculous in my view - and I'm not a massive fan of the current Israeli tactics by any stretch of the imagination.

There are far worse states in the region, committing far more heinous crimes, that go without boycotts.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Had a spat with a few 'lefties' in Lewes recently as they were in the precinct asking people to boycott Israeli products and companies. I did mention that that was how the holocaust started with the boycotting of Jewish business and services in Nazi Germany. They looked a bit bewildered, mind you they were in their early twenties.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I remember years ago at Sussex Uni the AGM voted to ban products from Israel - on closer inspection of suppliers it turned out that the avocados were from Israeli and duly had to be replaced :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
The boycott is utterly ridiculous in my view - and I'm not a massive fan of the current Israeli tactics by any stretch of the imagination.

There are far worse states in the region, committing far more heinous crimes, that go without boycotts.

Exactly. I used to be one of those lefties who was against Israel, but never really knew why, it was just how things were. Then one day I had a road to Damascus type moment. I was walking around town one day and noticed anti-Israel boycotters outside both M&S and Tesco, but they weren't outside Morrisons and Sainsbury. Now, everyone of these stores stocked Israeli goods, so why only picket two of them? Then it dawned, because they were nominally Jewish owned businesses. I had my first argument with the BDS types right then. Since then, I've actually done a whole lot of research, read widely on the subject and argued with many friends who are on the left. I know who my sympathies lie with.
And for sure, Israel is no saint of a nation, but then name one which is? For me the crux of the argument is that how come all the lefties ignore what China does in Tibet, what Russia has done in Ukraine, what the Saudis are doing in Yemen, ignore massive human rights abuses in Venezuela, Cuba, Zimbabwe etc. etc. but just concentrate on one tiny piece of land in the Middle East, the vast majority of which was desert before 1948. Israel's main crime, as far as I can see, is that it is backed by the US and UK, therefor all the poor old haters of the West see it as an imperialist venture. I see it as the only democracy in the region, a multi-cultural, multi-racial haven, the only place in the area where gay, women and workers rights exist. Where science is used for the benefit of mankind in aiming to eradicate the likes of MS and malaria. Strangely you would have thought these were things that left wingers would support. But no, they prefer the mono-cultural, mono-racial, woman hating, gay murdering,Islamic, science illiterate, backwaters of humanity everywhere else in the region. Funny that.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
On the face of it South Africa did seem easier, but what areas do you feel are more complex regarding the Middle East?
The UN created the state of Israel... that's the difference, and thus the added complexity. Until you get consensus that the UN decision is invalid, then the state of Israel, AND it's right to defend it's borders, democracy and citizens against all enemies... is as valid as the existance of every other nation on this planet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When the Turkish Muslims invaded North Cyprus and displaced the Greek Cypriots they founded new lives in the south and helped build a modern Cyprus, whilst Turkish Cyprus became a shit hole without shelling it or sending in suicide bombers. And the moral of this story is?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No other race on earth has been persecuted throughout the ages for such irrational reasons than the Jewish faith. Who can blame them now they’ve got their own turf if they don’t exactly play by the rulebook. The Middle East is where most of the worlds main religions collide, it’ll never be harmonious. Even a single faith can find plenty to fallout about.

I'm not sure the persecution of the Jews justifies Israel persecuting others. There was an interesting yet horrific Panorama a few years ago that demonstrated how racist Israeli society is towards non-Jews. The Jewish mayor of Hebron ( might have been another town as my memory has faded ) actually suggested that the treatment of non-Jews/Israelis as being lesser was acceptable.

If Israel wants to be an accepted state then it needs to act like one and less like a rogue state - i.e. stick to the rule book.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Had a spat with a few 'lefties' in Lewes recently as they were in the precinct asking people to boycott Israeli products and companies. I did mention that that was how the holocaust started with the boycotting of Jewish business and services in Nazi Germany. They looked a bit bewildered, mind you they were in their early twenties.

I'm anything but a 'leftie' and I support the Israeli boycotts. It isn't a left v right issue. They have looked a bit bewildered as you've lumped Jews and Israelis as one and the same - they are not. I'd like nothing more than see Israel brought to heal by the international community but that doesn't make me anti Jewish.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
If Israel wants to be an accepted state then it needs to act like one and less like a rogue state - i.e. stick to the rule book.

Name these states that stick to the rule book, then? Every single European country has done something in it's history to be considered rogue. Add to that Japan, China, USSR, USA, Australia, Iran, Turkey. The difference is that you don't get a load of supposed 'lberals' saying these Countries shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I'm anything but a 'leftie' and I support the Israeli boycotts. It isn't a left v right issue. They have looked a bit bewildered as you've lumped Jews and Israelis as one and the same - they are not. I'd like nothing more than see Israel brought to heal by the international community but that doesn't make me anti Jewish.

No, what makes you and these people anti-Jewish is the fact that it's the only conflict you're preoccupied with. Where are the daily Facebook posts about China in Tibet, or Russia in Ukraine? When only one Country is brought before the UN as often as Israel is, you would be right to assume it's not just because the nation is called Israel, it's because it's the World's only Jewish state.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Name these states that stick to the rule book, then? Every single European country has done something in it's history to be considered rogue. Add to that Japan, China, USSR, USA, Australia, Iran, Turkey. The difference is that you don't get a load of supposed 'lberals' saying these Countries shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Just this morning Ratko Mladic has been jailed for life for the Bosnian genocide.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
No, what makes you and these people anti-Jewish is the fact that it's the only conflict you're preoccupied with. Where are the daily Facebook posts about China in Tibet, or Russia in Ukraine? When only one Country is brought before the UN as often as Israel is, you would be right to assume it's not just because the nation is called Israel, it's because it's the World's only Jewish state.

So because I object to the actions of Israel and when I mention this I don't mention every other 'conflict' ongoing I'm anti-Jewish ?? Bizarre logic. Happy to discuss the others - feel free to start a thread about them. Also, as I'm not on Facebook it could prove rather difficult for me to post about any of them. Finally, you know the reason China and Russia aren't brought before the UN as often as Israel don't you ? Because they are permanent members of the Security Council - nothing to do with Israel being a Jewish state ( which once again you are merging Jewish and Israeli ). I don't condone the situation but that's why.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The UN created the state of Israel... that's the difference, and thus the added complexity. Until you get consensus that the UN decision is invalid, then the state of Israel, AND it's right to defend it's borders, democracy and citizens against all enemies... is as valid as the existance of every other nation on this planet.

This. All day long.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
When the Turkish Muslims invaded North Cyprus and displaced the Greek Cypriots they founded new lives in the south and helped build a modern Cyprus, whilst Turkish Cyprus became a shit hole without shelling it or sending in suicide bombers. And the moral of this story is?

Don't bully and harass minorities for years and then be surprised when their big brother intervenes?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

No, they looked bewildered because they had no understanding of history, and brought to heel for what? defending itself, as others have said it's the only democracy in the middle east. Yes the state security can be over zealous sometimes but it's not easy when you're under attack or the threat of attack almost daily, and you're surrounded by 100 million hostile neighbours

Unfortunately they got me young, first trip there was living on a Kibbutz a few miles from Gaza and lots of subsequent trips there as a photographer in the 80's and early nineties.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
and brought to heel for what? defending itself,

> Using banned weapons - white phosphorus
> Bombing UN schools
> Bombing hospitals
> Mass punishment where family homes not owned by perpetrators of crimes are bulldozed. Some with people still in them.
> Illegal occupation of lands
> Using special forces against peaceful protestors
> Using state agents to murder opponents abroad
> Using fake British passports in attempt to hide an illegal murder by Israeli agents ( we were SUPPOSEDLY their allies )
> Murder of British soldiers
> Destruction of Arab olive groves because they were 'too close' to the security wall making farmers destitute

To name but a few things

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here