Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Knackered?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It was worrying that he got so frustrated against Barnet in August. Sure, he got some rough treatment but Hughton was furious when Knocky lost his cool and screamed in the linesman's face. He took him off at half-time in that match. Maybe overshadowed by some of the new signings, I think he'll come good during the busy period coming up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Knockaert had two men on him most of the time last night, and this has been the story all season. That said, I think his tracking back has been excellent and I'm not overly concerned.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
15 mins into the 2nd half he looked too tired to track back and cover Bruno, first time I've really seen this as he usually runs all day long, particularly for his defensive duties.

I think he is having to cover more defensive work and Bruno is looking tired in the 2nd half of games. I think it’s time to change Bruno for Scholletto at Old Trafford. I think AK could benefit playing off a more imposing stronger player than Bruno. I love Bruno by the way. But in some games he isn’t an imposing defender getting forward like he used to.

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
I think it’s a case of Anthony being singled out as our danger-man and targeted by defenders/managers, he was regularly doubled up on last night, and in other games throughout the season. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Knockaert was doubled up on, yet Izquierdo, a relative unknown and not our player of the season, found himself in space time and time again. Knockaert, by drawing attention away from Izquierdo is still helping the team even if it means less end product for himself. Who would you choose to pay closer defensive attention to, the winger who’s excellent cross assisted a goal in your opposition’s most recent game, or the who didn’t? I will admit he looked tired towards the end last night, but as another poster mentioned, he had sprinted the whole length of the pitch to try and defend and never really recovered.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Undoubtedly a player of great ability, but I would be taking him out of the side at the moment for March (who really didn't deserve to be dropped as it is!). A bit of time to reflect and improve might be what he needs, particularly after his traumas of the past 12 months.

Tricky one and this is where Hughton will earn his money.

Knocky I don't think is really the sort of player that would respond best by having this sort of kick up the arse type thing and then if he doesn't come back guns blazing then what. You have then committed down that road.

I honestly not sure what the best approach is but I'm pretty sure I know a man who does. ;-)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it’s a case of Anthony being singled out as our danger-man and targeted by defenders/managers, he was regularly doubled up on last night, and in other games throughout the season. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Knockaert was doubled up on, yet Izquierdo, a relative unknown and not our player of the season, found himself in space time and time again. Knockaert, by drawing attention away from Izquierdo is still helping the team even if it means less end product for himself. Who would you choose to pay closer defensive attention to, the winger who’s excellent cross assisted a goal in your opposition’s most recent game, or the who didn’t? I will admit he looked tired towards the end last night, but as another poster mentioned, he had sprinted the whole length of the pitch to try and defend and never really recovered.

Agree with this - he's been marked out of games for large periods by two men, and he also has a pretty sulky petulant almost childish streak when things aren't going his way. The two things combined means he can paint an unhappy picture at times. As Jose gets more and more into games (like the first half last night) we'll benefit, as the doubling up won't happen as much once teams realise they can't let Jose run into space as he'll rip them a new one.

Knocky screamed at Jose last night after Jose's curled shot went just wide, but in reality he'd arrived in the box way too late to get on the end of it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
It's a difficult one to asses as we all know AK has the natural ability to out trick and float past defenders. It looks to me like he's having confidence issues. When AK is at his best, he looks far more direct and doesn't get caught in 2 minds. There's been plenty of times this season and last season where AK would hold onto the ball longer than necessary as if he feels he needs to do more. Sometimes he tries beating his defender when a pass would be more effective and sometimes he passes when he could use his brilliant skills to unlock a defence and cause all sorts of havoc. Ezquierdo doesn't look like he is as technically gifted as AK but he does look far more confident with his decision making. He used his speed to full effect last night and even managed to score a vital goal. Watford away has been the only game this season where AK looked sharpe and dangerous. Maybe it was because he was being booed all game? But just shows when he gets his head into gear, he can definitely show his magic in this division.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a difficult one to asses as we all know AK has the natural ability to out trick and float past defenders. It looks to me like he's having confidence issues. When AK is at his best, he looks far more direct and doesn't get caught in 2 minds. There's been plenty of times this season and last season where AK would hold onto the ball longer than necessary as if he feels he needs to do more. Sometimes he tries beating his defender when a pass would be more effective and sometimes he passes when he could use his brilliant skills to unlock a defence and cause all sorts of havoc. Ezquierdo doesn't look like he is as technically gifted as AK but he does look far more confident with his decision making. He used his speed to full effect last night and even managed to score a vital goal. Watford away has been the only game this season where AK looked sharpe and dangerous. Maybe it was because he was being booed all game? But just shows when he gets his head into gear, he can definitely show his magic in this division.

I think he is so well aware that to get caught in possession there could be such a quick turnaround that could cost a goal. The lad just hasn't struck the balance of his confident self and the desire to do well for the team and not put them in difficulty.

That will come because he has the ability and we all know that.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Bruno / Knocky partnership wasn't there Monday night. Don't think there was a single pass between them in the first half.

I said exactly this to my Dad during the game.
Tbf usually it’s so bloody good it becomes noticeable when it’s not there!

Stumpy Tim

I said the same thing. I was baffled when Izquierdo was taken off rather than Knocky, even if Knocky had finally started to creep into the game a bit around ten mins before the subs were made. I would also have brought Murray off about ten mins before he was subbed, and replaced him with Hemed rather than Brown.

That's a GIANT fib. You said Izquierdo for March as Knockaert was back in the game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Tricky one and this is where Hughton will earn his money.

Knocky I don't think is really the sort of player that would respond best by having this sort of kick up the arse type thing and then if he doesn't come back guns blazing then what. You have then committed down that road.

I honestly not sure what the best approach is but I'm pretty sure I know a man who does. ;-)

How do you think March is responding at his age, having started the season very well in the starting 11, to now find himself behind a guy who is very inconsistent and learning the league, and behind Knockaert who looks totally off the boil? It’s a squad game ultimately, and until Knockaert can work himself back into form (if indeed he has the same capability at this level), then March deserves his place back. Sometimes you have to be hard to be kind.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
seems more like Anthony "going through something in his life that we aren't aware of", he hasn't seemed himself for parts of this season

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
There was a reason why Leicester got rid of him !!
Last season, when he was on top form, some people were saying he is one of our best ever player, and better than Vicente.

I like AK, but I think people are now beginning to realise that he has some way to go yet before he reaches the level of a player who played 243 games for Valencia in the top flight, and 38 times for Spain.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
How do you think March is responding at his age, having started the season very well in the starting 11, to now find himself behind a guy who is very inconsistent and learning the league, and behind Knockaert who looks totally off the boil? It’s a squad game ultimately, and until Knockaert can work himself back into form (if indeed he has the same capability at this level), then March deserves his place back. Sometimes you have to be hard to be kind.

Knocky is very much a flair player feeding on confidence which has seemed lacking from the off this season.

Think part of the problem is that Bruno isn’t getting up the pitch as much so AK is getting the ball much further back than he did last season and has more to do to get past defenders.

He started off brilliantly last season but was a bit less consistent second half.

Still think he could tear up the Premier League if he can find last season’s form again but agree that March should be brought back in as he’s much more of a threat than AK at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
And on many occasions last night when he should have been on the wing waiting for a pass he was wandering around in the middle giving us no wide option.

Stoke were playing with three central defenders and there was space on the wing. Instead of exploiting the space on the wing (which Jose did) he kept drifting inside to the congested area and cut out one of our attacking options. He seems to have developed this habit of following the ball - a bit like a small child - rather than waiting for it to come to him. He does the same defending and got caught out a few times when the ball was played to his man and he did several silly sliding challenges without once getting near the ball.

He has been brilliant for us but is at risk of becoming a luxury player so maybe a spell on the bench where he can come on with 20 minutes to go and be a great impact player would benefit both the team and give his confidence the boost it may need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here