Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What can't you get on with that everyone else can?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Satnavs - I can read a map

See, that is just silly.

I can also read a map perfectly well, but for driving, to choose one over an available satnav would be spiting myself for the sake of it.

The Satnav is easier and way, way safer, so long as you've set it in advance and are not arsing about with it whilst driving. The Satnav shows you a map of the junction ahead, warns you when your turn is approaching, displays the current speed limit, tells you which lane you need to be in ahead of an unfamiliar junction, etc.

Anyone fiddling about, looking down at a paper map on their lap or passenger seat, whilst driving a car with a Satnav, is an absolute TOOL.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm the exact opposite. I hate wearing shoes, as they feel so constrictive on my feet. I would walk around bare foot, all the time, if I could. I go into sandals in March/April as soon as it's mild enough, and keep wearing them until October at the very least.

wish I could : 0 (
I walk around bare foot at home though : 0 )

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Women , doing whatever it is they're doing to their nails , sanding them down ? on public transport , clouds of toxic fingernail dust on the commute to work is more than my skimpy early morning constitution could take .

Women , doing their make up on public transport .

Women .

Public transport .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
See, that is just silly.

I can also read a map perfectly well, but for driving, to choose one over an available satnav would be spiting myself for the sake of it.

The Satnav is easier and way, way safer, so long as you've set it in advance and are not arsing about with it whilst driving. The Satnav shows you a map of the junction ahead, warns you when your turn is approaching, displays the current speed limit, tells you which lane you need to be in ahead of an unfamiliar junction, etc.

Anyone fiddling about, looking down at a paper map on their lap or passenger seat, whilst driving a car with a Satnav, is an absolute TOOL.

I can map read very well, but my husband likes his gadgets, so he bought a sat nav. We drove over to France to meet up with his brother & wife, following this wonderful technology. Bear in mind, that a lot of our holidays have consisted in travelling in Europe, following a map and my directions, but I let him use his latest toy.
We turned off this road near Chateau Thierry, and ended up going doing what could almost be described as a farm track. We did get to our destination, but my brother in law said, We expected you over half an hour ago. What happened?
My husband described the route we had taken, saying he was surprised at the rural nature of it, when BIL said, Why didn't you use the bypass. It's dual carriageway!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I note that the lack of denial :D

I hate cooking, so prefer to shove everything in the oven such as a roast, or a casserole. I cannot be doing with standing over a stove, pinching, stirring, and mixing.
I prefer to chatting to people rather than fiddling around.
I'm certainly no hippy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can map read very well, but my husband likes his gadgets, so he bought a sat nav. We drove over to France to meet up with his brother & wife, following this wonderful technology. Bear in mind, that a lot of our holidays have consisted in travelling in Europe, following a map and my directions, but I let him use his latest toy.
We turned off this road near Chateau Thierry, and ended up going doing what could almost be described as a farm track. We did get to our destination, but my brother in law said, We expected you over half an hour ago. What happened?
My husband described the route we had taken, saying he was surprised at the rural nature of it, when BIL said, Why didn't you use the bypass. It's dual carriageway!!

1. You either set it wrong (eg 'Shortest route', rather than 'fastest') or the mapping on it hadn't been updated.

2. Your example is not the same, as you are talking about the option of a PASSENGER reading the map, rather than the driver :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1. You either set it wrong (eg 'Shortest route', rather than 'fastest') or the mapping on it hadn't been updated.

2. Your example is not the same, as you are talking about the option of a PASSENGER reading the map, rather than the driver :thumbsup:

That's up to himself. He usually updates it before we set off. Another example was driving in Rouen, when the sat nav said turn left at the next junction. When we got there, it said, No Left Turn.

Yes, as a passenger it's easier to navigate.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Ale.

My dad, my older brother on his side and my late granddad all drink/drank it but I just can't stand the taste even though it should be in the genes! Cider all day for me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Four weddings and a funeral - A one joke film with lots of swearing totally over rated.
People taking phone pictures of ginger breadmen on cable cars - Just enjoy the view
Rugby - Just silly
Voice recognition systems - They have all been built to not understand English
Temperature over 30 - far too hot
Gravy with chips - it must be a northern thing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's up to himself. He usually updates it before we set off. Another example was driving in Rouen, when the sat nav said turn left at the next junction. When we got there, it said, No Left Turn.

Of course, such things happen, occasionally - either the junction has been changed or there's a mistake in the satnav's info. Either way, I bet it happens way LESS often than somebody looking at a paper map, thinking 'I'll turn left at that junction' then finding they are not allowed.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Adverts from PPI reclaim companies.

Adverts for price comparison websites.

Especially wanky 'laddish' adverts for Bookmakers.

Adverts for usurious companies offering short term loans at penal interest tickets.

Adverts

Meerkats.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Rouen is a nightmare to drive through; nearly ended in divorce when me & mrs drove through there!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rouen is a nightmare to drive through; nearly ended in divorce when me & mrs drove through there!

Yep, we've been the same. Our worst rows have been in Rouen. We cheat now and drive all the way round on the A29, a route picked out by me via the map book!

I did find a straight forward route, which was at the bottom of the hill, after going through the tunnel, and doing a sharp 180deg turn onto the D18E, and through the industrial estate, pass the roundabout with the concrete cows, but then Rouen decided to close that way for repairs about 4 years ago. Hence using the A29 now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
They look shit as well but if looking like a sloppy Aussie back packer is your thing fine with me. Birkenstocks are the way forward.

Like these?
flip flop.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here