Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Leavers

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Even worse when I see people leaving at 75 minutes. Really is ridiculous. What is the point in going to a football match if you leave 20 minutes before the final whistle in a massive top of the table clash.
Exactly. Absolute disgrace. Don't give me nonsense about got to get home if you have to leave early what is the bloody point in coming.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think Murray was having a go at fans leaving, just that the stadium went deathly quiet other than the away end. I think he expected an 'Albion' chant or something like we did after the equaliser. Felt to me like we owed them that, but it didn't materialise.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Im permanently on crutches and find this not to be the case its only dickheads with mobile phones glued to their heads that piss me off ... makes more sense to me to stay right to the end and enjoy a beer afterwards
Pleased it works for you, sorry to hear about your permanent condition...that sucks, fortunately mine is only temporary, I don't envy you in the slightest I've managed 3 games with a broken ankle and had people walk into me several times, thankfully by the derby game I should be mended !

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The timing of the second goal is very relevant. Had it gone in 5 minutes earlier, I doubt it would have meant such a mass exodus, but when a team takes a lead at 89 minutes, then it will mean lots leaving.
I saw exactly the same thing at Elland Road, when Bobby scored in the 89th minute, last season. Brighton fans are not unique.
This with bells on. The way the holier than thou talk on here you would think it was only Albion that had a % of their home crowd who leave early for legitimate practical reasons, another % tranche who choose to leave early because it makes their journey home (a lot) easier, and a final % who sometimes choose to leave when we are losing and they can't see a likely way back in...

News Flash: THIS HAPPENS AT EVERY GROUND IN THE COUNTRY....!!!!

The third category is obviously not one that many NSCers relate to but it is a fact that a % of such people are at every club in the country. Try not to lose sleep over it. I was pleased by the number that stayed later than they normally would last night.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Murray is a man in his 30s who is paid tens of thousands of pounds to kick a ball around a park. I love the game and my club, but that's the reality of it. That he has a bit of a tantrum when fans leave early shows the pathetic and ignorant nature of his reaction, and suggests that he lives a life far too privileged for him to be able to understand the lives of us mere mortals.

What does how much he gets paid have to do with anything? It makes me laugh when people say he gets paid to 'kick a ball around the park'. I think he'd probably disagree, and would feel that he does a little bit more than that, and actually works harder than a hell of a lot of the 30,000 people in the ground do.

But my point is that thousands of people giving up and going home when we concede in the 89th minute, can only have a negative effect on the players, and we all know how important that extra 1% effort and belief can be. Had the ground been full and roaring us on to get an equaliser for the last five minutes, would we have got it? Probably not. But the chances would have been higher.

However, I'm glad your righteous as now self feels you have the right to lecture us all on why we shouldn't leave a football game early. You are, afterall a (patronising) hero, to whom we should all bow down.

Well at least we can agree on something, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Murray is a man in his 30s who is paid tens of thousands of pounds to kick a ball around a park. I love the game and my club, but that's the reality of it. That he has a bit of a tantrum when fans leave early shows the pathetic and ignorant nature of his reaction, and suggests that he lives a life far too privileged for him to be able to understand the lives of us mere mortals.

Have to stand up for Muzza. His kids go to the same state school in Brighton as mine, he often picks them up (his kids, not mine) and he's a thoroughly amiable, approachable and decent chap. He does have a nice car though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have to stand up for Muzza. His kids go to the same state school in Brighton as mine, he often picks them up (his kids, not mine) and he's a thoroughly amiable, approachable and decent chap.

quite. And he had the good grace not to shout 'Where the **** are you GOING you *****?'

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
After almost every home game we see more and more of these tedious 'early leaver' threads as if it's some kind of JCL-related new phenomenon. It isn't. Even in my youngest days of watching us at the Goldstone there were plenty of early leavers who wanted to 'beat the traffic' as I knew a few of them. The difference is now that we have an all-seater stadium you can see where the gaps are - not so easy to see on a terrace.

Personally I stay to the bitter end as I don't want to miss that chance in a hundred that gives us a late winner or equaliser, but everybody's circumstances are different. Sometimes I have stayed to the very end of a game not to cheer my team off but to give them an expletive-filled idea of my opinion of them - it cuts both ways (though haven't felt the need to do that since a certain Mr Hyppia left town).

Leave early or stay to the end - you pay the money so make your choice. But please can we cut down on having the same tedious argument again and again like it's something new

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
After almost every home game we see more and more of these tedious 'early leaver' threads as if it's some kind of JCL-related new phenomenon. It isn't. Even in my youngest days of watching us at the Goldstone there were plenty of early leavers who wanted to 'beat the traffic' as I knew a few of them. The difference is now that we have an all-seater stadium you can see where the gaps are - not so easy to see on a terrace.

Personally I stay to the bitter end as I don't want to miss that chance in a hundred that gives us a late winner or equaliser, but everybody's circumstances are different. Sometimes I have stayed to the very end of a game not to cheer my team off but to give them an expletive-filled idea of my opinion of them - it cuts both ways (though haven't felt the need to do that since a certain Mr Hyppia left town).

Leave early or stay to the end - you pay the money so make your choice. But please can we cut down on having the same tedious argument again and again like it's something new

With respect, you're missing the point. I think this thread is specifically about last night, and the manner in which a lot of people upped and left when Newcastle slotted home their winner, like a bunch of SISSIES

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It could be worse "the best supporters in the country" had a good number leave at half time the other week.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I always stay to the end because for me it makes no difference to what time I get home at. If there was an old man near me who was absolutely freezing I'd let him on the train instead and I'd wait for the next one.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Putting my three penny worth in, I think there was a feeling of dejavu when they scored the second and that is why people got up and left.

Certainly as I was walking out 10 minutes afterwards, there was a lot of muttering about us being here before..presumably referring to our record in the play offs. Not white middle class people, but mostly the normal average football supporting fan.

Personally I came away full of disappointment and I was perplexed how rubbish we played in the second half...as good as Newcastle were, we just couldn't pass and fecked about at the back by Duffy and stockers. Maybe that is why people up and left?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It would really annoy me if I was a player. If the fans give up and leave with 5 minutes to go in a top of the table clash when we've just gone behind, then why should the players bother to fight until the death? I'm sure everyone has their reasons, but it is really odd how so many people do it. Do these people leave the cinema 5 minutes before the end of the film?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why should the players bother to fight until the death? Because they are obscene amounts to do so - it's their job.

People pay their money, it's entirely up to them when they want to leave and they shouldn't be judged for doing so. Especially on a Tuesday night when you can understand people have to be up the next day, and leaving on the final whistle can add a significant chunk to their journey time home.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Why should the players bother to fight until the death? Because they are obscene amounts to do so - it's their job.

People pay their money, it's entirely up to them when they want to leave and they shouldn't be judged for doing so. Especially on a Tuesday night when you can understand people have to be up the next day, and leaving on the final whistle can add a significant chunk to their journey time home.

People left in droves last night went Newcastle scored their second, that was nothing to do with 'having to be up the next day'.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone who left early last night should be found and horsewhipped in front of their families.

Alternatively just ignore them and feel morally superior as a super fan quietly.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
People left in droves last night went Newcastle scored their second, that was nothing to do with 'having to be up the next day'.

The fact of it is that leaving on 89 minutes can save 30-60 minutes on your journey time home. We see it every game, and often people decide to leave when there is a break in play. Given the nature and length of the break in play at 89 minutes, I can understand why a lot of people left at that point. I didn't notice much of a difference in the emptiness of the stadium on the final whistle compared to other games.

People leaving early actually helps the transport situation... if everyone left at the same time journey times would be even longer.

Most of the players not producing what we know they are capable of over the full 90 minutes, in a sell-out ground with a great atmosphere to push the players on, is of much more importance to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The fact of it is that leaving on 89 minutes can save 30-60 minutes on your journey time home. We see it every game, and often people decide to leave when there is a break in play. Given the nature and length of the break in play at 89 minutes, I can understand why a lot of people left at that point. I didn't notice much of a difference in the emptiness of the stadium on the final whistle compared to other games.

People leaving early actually helps the transport situation... if everyone left at the same time journey times would be even longer.

Most of the players not producing what we know they are capable of over the full 90 minutes, in a sell-out ground with a great atmosphere to push the players on, is of much more importance to me.

I'd rather adjust my life so I can accommodate 30-60 mins extra. I hate rushing around.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

I agree that it was an opportune moment to leave, but given the context of the match it would have had an impact on the player's morale, hence Murray's remonstrations. It wouldn't have looked great on the telly either.
For the record, and this isn't directed at you, I have to travel to Chichester after the game, and am often up at 5.30am the following day to go to work, so I'm a bit tired, but you know what? I'm a bit tired, big deal, I'll get over it.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
We weren't let out of Car Park B until 10.45pm last night. We were there an hour. The transport system was an embarrassment last night.

Anyway, we left early. We always do. Mainly because we live miles away and if we get out a few minutes earlier, it usually saves us time getting out. Last night we left early and were there later than we've ever been. To those that think people like myself care less, I say bollocks to you. My groups of mates/family and I have to travel further than most people in the stadium to see Brighton I'd imagine, meaning we have to put in more effort to come and see the Albion week in week out. If some person that lives 20 minutes on a train gets all uppetty about us leaving 3-4 minutes early so that our hour plus drive doesn't become 2-3 hours (as it did last night due to Car Park B) then, quite frankly, that person is an ass.

try 120 miles I got home at 1am...and left at full time......super fan points please.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here