Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Reforms Up For Debate

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Isn't the 'Captain only' rule in force? If so someone forgot to tell the big clubs.
Penalty taking. Talk of going Team A, Team B, then Team B again then A, A, B, B or similar. Better known as the ABBA rule

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Full Story on BBC

Reforms being discussed include:

My views on each proposal

• Scrapping 45 minute halves and changing to 30 minutes of "in play" action Reading various reports on this, it says when the ball goes out of play, so does this mean when a free kick is awarded the clock is not stopped. If introduced it must be a full stopping clock so the clock stops whenever the ball goes out of play or the referee blows his whistle to stop play. The downsides are, how much longer than 90 minutes would the game be, and does it open up the tv game to more advert breaks with the game in the stadium only being restarted once the adverts have finished.
  • Passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick No, this is not hockey
  • A stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch Good idea, bit not all stadia have clocks
  • Allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving No, all free licks must be from still ball
  • A goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on Fans of a certain age, like me will remember when this was the rule, but was changed some years ago, don;t see the need to bring in
  • A "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball Would be welcomed
  • A player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card Over the top and unnecessary
  • A keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty No, rarely happens anyway and an indirect free kick is sufficient
  • The referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line No, all goals scored must be from 'actual' goals
  • Referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play No, the game should end after the completion of allocated time,
    regardless of whether the ball is in or out of play
  • Captain only allowed to speak to ref Yes agree fully
  • A penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area No, but infringement should not be penalised in penalty missed or scored
  • Changing order of penalty kicks in a shoot out Not fussed either way

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Kicking the ball out of play to finish the match won't work as you do get prolonged period of possession like rugby and there would need to be a horn to signal times up.

Better refereeing of the 6 second goal keeper rule is needed.

The 30 minute halves will end up like American football with ad breaks between the awarding and taking of free kicks/goal kicks/penalties etc.

I like the idea of taking a goal kick from the side the ball went out to help reduce goalkeeper time wasting.

el punal

On the whole I think most of the suggestions will have a positive influence. I'm not sure about playing 30 minutes each half with 'time off' for stoppages accounting for another 30 minutes though. Even in Rugby Union the time added after real time 80 minutes rarely exceeds 10 minutes.

I like the idea of communication between ref and captain only (again, a rugby rule) in a dispute. Hopefully will make the remaining players more responsible in their reaction rather than throwing their toys out of the pram.

One current rule that I find strange (and has not been addressed) is when a player requires treatment, following a foul by an opponent, and then has to leave the field. The opposition, despite being penalised, then have an advantage.

P.S. If the suggestion for two 30 minute halves comes in what on earth are the fans who now leave after 85 minutes going to do? The mind boggles a little bit. :mad:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
P.S. If the suggestion for two 30 minute halves comes in what on earth are the fans who now leave after 85 minutes going to do? The mind boggles a little bit. :mad:

No doubt someone will calculate the number of minutes their season ticket now covers, conclude it is a cost increase of 50%, and demand Barber out.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Full Story on BBC

Reforms being discussed include:

• Scrapping 45 minute halves and changing to 30 minutes of "in play" action This seems a bit odd, but would like to see it in action
  • Passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick No
  • A stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch Yes, the current spurious end of the game needs fomalising
  • Allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving No
  • A goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out onSeems reasonable
  • A "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball Yes
  • A player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card Yes
  • A keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty Not sure, maybe
  • The referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line No, the ref can't award a goal that isn't scored
  • Referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play Yes, as part of formalising the end of play
  • Captain only allowed to speak to ref Would be nice, won't happen
  • A penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area Don't think so
  • Changing order of penalty kicks in a shoot out Maybe

See above

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It may be the Rugby influence, but I like the idea of half/full time only occurring once the ball is out of play. Quite how this works with the whistle I'm not sure.

I think if a generation was born into these arrangements it would see no issues. But it's hard to change now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rule change suggestions are required also from players and supporter groups. The referees will consciously or subconsciously favour and propose changes primarily that make life easier for them . . . ..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One current rule that I find strange (and has not been addressed) is when a player requires treatment, following a foul by an opponent, and then has to leave the field. The opposition, despite being penalised, then have an advantage.

That one has annoyed me for a long time. Simplest, and fairest solution in my opinion, would be that the player who committed the foul should have to leave the field of play as well.

Another thing I would like to see addressed is players waving imaginary cards at the referee. Simply booking any player that does it would stop it in an instant.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Taking goal kick from the side the ball went out was the old way anyway, made little difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here