Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tammy Abraham

As a goal scoring centre forward, luck is a very important thing to have on your side. The likes of Lineker, and Greaves before him, both goal poachers, relied on an awful lot of it.

I remember an interview with Jimmy Greaves when he was asked how come he scored so many goals from an unmarked position close to goal. Was it luck or did have some magical way of anticipating where the ball was going to go?

Greaves said it wasn't either, he had no idea where the ball was going to go. Instead he just went into space and hoped for the best.

If he wasn't in space and the ball came to him then he probably wouldn't score.

If he was in space and the ball didn't come to him then he wouldn't score.

But if he was in space and the ball did come to him then there was every chance he would score.

It's hardly rocket science; get yourself in space and hope for the best. OK there's a bit more to it than that but that's a good starting point. It certainly worked for Greaves and Lineker.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I remember an interview with Jimmy Greaves when he was asked how come he scored so many goals from an unmarked position close to goal. Was it luck or did have some magical way of anticipating where the ball was going to go?

Greaves said it wasn't either, he had no idea where the ball was going to go. Instead he just went into space and hoped for the best.

But if he was in space and the ball did come to him then there was every chance he would score.

It's hardly rocket science; get yourself in space and hope for the best. OK there's a bit more to it than that but that's a good starting point. It certainly worked for Greaves and Lineker.

Got to GAMBLE at the far post!

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Jimmy is currently 2nd in the all time European leagues goal scorers a gnats behind Ronaldo over the same timespan. So not bad for someone who had no idea where the ball was going.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We should know shortly, he must be off on the U21 tournament soon, i suspect he will want it sorted before he goes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Your right, it certainly did. I remember seeing Jimmy Greaves being interviewed some years ago now, when, with a big grin on his face, he readily admitted that although he was a very lucky player, he was far from being a very gifted one!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My gut says if we are offering the same money as Newcastle he'll come to the Amex. Don't argue with my gut, it's bigger than most of you!

I don't think money really comes into it, as we've probably both agreed to match whatever salary he is on at the moment. It's more who he reckons will give him the better experience. I think we're the better prospect for him, as I think he'd get more game time here and with less expectation than he'll have at Newcastle.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think money really comes into it, as we've probably both agreed to match whatever salary he is on at the moment. It's more who he reckons will give him the better experience. I think we're the better prospect for him, as I think he'd get more game time here and with less expectation than he'll have at Newcastle.

And of course he wont have to live in the deepest darkest depths of the north east!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hand on heart, if I was him I'd sign for us.

If it were a permanent transfer then it would be a different story but this is merely a 1-year loan. Just look at the facts:

1. Wages identical.
2. More chance of a regular start at the Albion.
3. No relocation involved with the Albion.
4. Family and friends local.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here