Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Started a war in which 179 British servicemen died, based on a dossier of lies?

Yep, sold off the gold, funded many projects with PFI of which I have worked on and know we are paying back extortionate amounts over 30 years. Many more examples.
Simmo, have you as a working class tradesman been better off under Labour, because I certainly have not. Party for the workers, don't think so.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I criticised you and you called me a Tory. I am not. I know people under 40 that vote Tory. And you accuse the political parties of peddling lies :facepalm:
I said everyone I know! How is that a lie?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
"Make no mistake, the central challenge we face is negotiating the best deal for Britain in Europe. If we fail, the consequences for Britain and for the economic security of ordinary working people will be dire. If we succeed, the opportunities ahead of us are great."

I thought no deal was better than a bad deal and there was nothing to worry about with Brexit anyway?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
900 billion bailing out the banks.
220 billion on Trident rockets.
Awl Mrs May can we have ten billion for the NHS and to help the disabled and the carers......... Mrs May : F...uck off .

when did the bank bailout ever cost 900bn? you're counting guarantees never paid, arent you? trident only costs 200 if you use CND sums, reality is about half that spread over 30 years - so about 3bn a year, most of which goes into industry and jobs which is why unions are so keen on it. meanwhile £8bn more to the NHS, ok not the 10 asked for, but your point seems to blunted.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
when did the bank bailout ever cost 900bn? you're counting guarantees never paid, arent you? trident only costs 200 if you use CND sums, reality is about half that spread over 30 years - so about 3bn a year, most of which goes into industry and jobs which is why unions are so keen on it. meanwhile £8bn more to the NHS, ok not the 10 asked for, but your point seems to blunted.

Trident is serviced and maintained in the US mostly, certainly the missiles and warheads are. So much of the money does go into industry and jobs, just a fair share of it not into this country.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

NHS spending is approx £122,000,000,000 a year, every year and rising.

That is £335 million a day, every day.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
evidence cherry picked to meet a conclusion if that link is a true reflection. reporting on banking crisis and bail outs was dominated by financial analysts... who else would be suitable to input? conclusion drawn, BBC is pro-business, despite giving it less than 10% of airtime normally. the observation they shun union representivites may have more to do with their lack of media skills, dont see them on other channels either (who'd recognise more than a handful of union leaders?).

I wonder whether you even read that summary I linked to. It clearly states
This research was funded by the BBC Trust as part of an ongoing series of studies examining the impartiality of its reporting in areas such as regional news, the Israel-Palestine conflict, the Arab Spring, business and science.

And it contains a link to the fuller version of the study, should you wish to read it. I suspect you won't wish to read it though, as you may find the cognitive dissonance too much to bear.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why vote Tory?

Tory manifesto pages 35-37

The Tories will as promised see through the Brexit that was voted for.
An end of free movement, out of being members of the single market, out of the customs union and out of The ECJ with sovereign democratic powers returning to Westminster.

It’s the single biggest issue and It’s the only policy that matters (in my personal opinion), everything else is white noise.

No other main party can be trusted to deliver what the majority of voters voted for and no other main party will represent the voted will of the people on this issue..

Utter drivel.

There is no such thing as 'the brexit that was voted for', as well you know.

What you actually mean is 'the form of Brexit that YOU would like to chose to believe, we were voting for'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I wonder whether you even read that summary I linked to. It clearly states.

clearly i read it, though i'll admit to skimming over it, and also qualified my opinion. claiming the BBC is pro-business is laughable given the lack of coverage they give finance and business in the news, and nothing outside of news with programmes like Working Lunch and Money Programme lost a long time ago. there was a Niall Ferguson documentary on BBC4 maybe a couple of years ago. stories about banks have financial analysts, as i would expect, just as stories on NHS have doctors. note i didn't claim it was left wing or anti-business either, i'd say it shows some bias towards some areas that considered left wing.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Fair enough. Just to say that I do try to be consistent. I also would never support David Davis because of his strong support for Section 28 back in the 80s and 90s.
I've looked into this a little, and want to make a few things clear. Firstly, I see nothing wrong with supporting a United Ireland. That seems to me to be legitimate political objective. Also, in a democracy, I feel that Corbyn, (and anyone else), has the absolute right to talk to whomever he pleases. However, for me a problem arises if Corbyn advocated violence as a means of pursuing those political objectives, and it seems he may have done so.

Having said that, there's been a long period of peace in Ireland thanks to the Good Friday agreement, and there is cause for optimism about the future. I think the time has probably come to draw a line under these issues.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sky weather is better than the BBC's. Generally 2 degrees higher. In our house w are happy to pay the subscription for the slightly warmer days.

Smart move. And the subscription can be off set again the savings not needing to heat your house as much.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've looked into this a little, and want to make a few things clear. Firstly, I see nothing wrong with supporting a United Ireland. That seems to me to be legitimate political objective. Also, in a democracy, I feel that Corbyn, (and anyone else), has the absolute right to talk to whomever he pleases. However, for me a problem arises if Corbyn advocated violence as a means of pursuing those political objectives, and it seems he may have done so.

Having said that, there's been a long period of peace in Ireland thanks to the Good Friday agreement, and there is cause for optimism about the future. I think the time has probably come to draw a line under these issues.

I agree with you on this point but it has to be a hard line - i.e. no investigations of either sides actions etc. At the moment there are investigations ongoing around the Army and Intelligence Services actions with undercover moles. Investigations into IRA members actions have been dropped - so should investigations into the army & co.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, sold off the gold, funded many projects with PFI of which I have worked on and know we are paying back extortionate amounts over 30 years. Many more examples.
Simmo, have you as a working class tradesman been better off under Labour, because I certainly have not. Party for the workers, don't think so.

If you are going to talk about selling off the gold you need to go back to when Thatcher cut taxes on the back the North Sea oil and gas, don't you? Worth 13k per head.

franks brother

So every time the Labour Party announced a fully- costed election pledge (like free school meals and scrapping of NHS parking fees) the numbskulls came out in force to blabber on about “magic money trees”. But now that the Tory Party manifesto has been exposed as a total Swiss cheese of more than 50 uncosted spending pledges these “magic money tree” numbskulls have suddenly all gone into hiding

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So every time the Labour Party announced a fully- costed election pledge (like free school meals and scrapping of NHS parking fees) the numbskulls came out in force to blabber on about “magic money trees”. But now that the Tory Party manifesto has been exposed as a total Swiss cheese of more than 50 uncosted spending pledges these “magic money tree” numbskulls have suddenly all gone into hiding

But we know the Tories are the party of "efficiency and cutting red tape " so, why go to the trouble to cost policies that mostly will never get implemented ?

I'm more concerned by the little things hidden away here and there, particularly the fact that they do not want a Leveson 2 inquiry to go ahead. This smacks of May sucking up to the press barons in order to maintain their editorial support for her regime.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I agree with you on this point but it has to be a hard line - i.e. no investigations of either sides actions etc. At the moment there are investigations ongoing around the Army and Intelligence Services actions with undercover moles. Investigations into IRA members actions have been dropped - so should investigations into the army & co.
I think that is exactly what drawing a line under it means.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Of course they have!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If you are going to talk about selling off the gold you need to go back to when Thatcher cut taxes on the back the North Sea oil and gas, don't you? Worth 13k per head.

Perhaps, then again I have not voted Conservative, though I think this country is safer under them than Labour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here