Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer wish list of recruits

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
If we signed Honda and did a pre season in Japan our profile there would go through the roof. I reckon we'd make the money back in shirt sales alone.

Not just in shirt sales, it'd also make it more likely that an Asian company would want to get involved in sponsoring the club. Signing players like Kagawa and Ji-Sung Park certainly hasn't done Manchester United any harm in establishing themselves in that market.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/834531/manchester-united-need-stars-to-boost-asian-brand

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Why not? 'Every Premier League side outside the top 6' now includes Brighton and Hove Albion.

Of course, it'll come down to money in the end, but can you actually give us any valid reasons why joining Brighton would be significantly less attractive than joining, say, Burnley, Watford, West Brom, Crystal Palace or Swansea?

If Defoe would go to Sunderland, he'll go anywhere.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[video]https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/23/sebastian-giovinco-highlights-best-goals-and-skills-toronto-fc[/video]

Earns too much but maybe we can tempt him with something. Anything.

Right up my alley. I thought he was older than 30 for some reason.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
[video]https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/23/sebastian-giovinco-highlights-best-goals-and-skills-toronto-fc[/video]

Earns too much but maybe we can tempt him with something. Anything.

Excellent player, would be amazing in the Premier League. But you are correct, £100k+ a week puts him out of our reach.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm going to throw in some players who've served me well on Football Manager over the last few seasons:

James Tavernier - Right back, currently playing for Rangers.
Vaclav Kadlec - Striker, Czech international currently playing for Sparta Prague
Mirko Ivanic - Central midfielder / #10, Serbian international currently playing for BATE Borisov ( Belarusian Premier League apparently )

It isn't a wishlist without some dumbass spouting off about good FM players, is it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bruno is fine, really? One of my all time favourites but years too late for him to hold his own against pacy Premier League wingers.

Stephen Ward seems to manage and I don't have him down as good as Bruno regardless of age. Don't go off age, go off performances. I think he'll be fine.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you'll find we will be investing in players outside the English leagues. Spain & Germany in particular

Yet our big signings/loanees in the last 4 windows have predominantly been from the English Leagues.
Sidwell, Murray, Pocognoli, Duffy, Norwood, Rosenior, Zamora, Bong, Goldson, Murphy, Wilson, Akpom, Tomori.

Only Uwe, Skalak, Hemed, Manu and Knockaert (although he's obviously a EFL/Prem player) buck the trend.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stephen Ward seems to manage and I don't have him down as good as Bruno regardless of age. Don't go off age, go off performances. I think he'll be fine.

Ward is 5 years younger than Bruno though isn't he ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you would go with 37 year old Bruno as a 1st team starter ? No back up?

Yes at the moment. We have the Canadian laddie who I was very impressed with against franchise, and I think he would make the step up.

Ha.

Apart from the fact that Adekugbe is a) a left back, b) entirely untested at even Championship level and c) not our player, that's a great call :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I rated Ward so highly I felt he might just have been able to make a decent fist of Sami's footballing philosophy.

Praise doesn't come any higher than that.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Reuban Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) on season long loan.

I was about to post the same. He's a terrific player, but has been a peripheral player for Chelsea this season. He desperately needs game time so unless he's likely to feature regularly for them next season they might be amenable to a loan. There is bound to be a lot of competition for him, but having had Tomori might help push us to the top of the list. I am a big fan of Mason Mount too, but at 18 the PL might be a bit early for him.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Leander Dendoncker. 21 year old defensive midfielder for Anderlecht. Very highly rated and scored against United in the Europa. Can't imagine he'd be too expensive coming from the Belgian league. Get him in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here