Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Play-Offs.

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've watched nearly every game the Italians have played at every major tournament in the last 30 years. I'm not commenting on your domestic game.

So for example you watched us beat Belgium and Spain at the last Euros and were impressed?

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So did Paolo Rossi. He did nothing in his career but win the world cup in 1982. I bet someone as "ignorant" as me probably wouldn't even have picked him for that Italian squad.

But the fact is, you have to be good enough to qualify first. Italy didn't, they weren't very good at all, and now they are out. No tears being shed anywhere else but Italy because your team is poor.

Sweden are an agricultural but well organised team - not unlike Iceland. Iceland entertained everyone in the Euros didn't they?

Obviously if you had powered past Sweden with a vintage 4 goal salvo, we'd have been salivating and drooling over Italy being there next year. Sadly for you, they looked every bit as crap as a team that couldn't score once in 180 minutes against a nation with one fifth of Italy's population. With that in mind, I am ambivalent as to whether a Zatan-less Sweden or a goal-free Italy took that spot.

To re-cap.Good team with some very good players but hopeless manager from day one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To re-cap.Good team with some very good players but hopeless manager from day one.
We've all had crap managers, even Brazil. What do you want? Italy to be able to play all their matches again with a good manager running things?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So for example you watched us beat Belgium and Spain at the last Euros and were impressed?
Yes I watched them. Italy have been a successful team over the years, sometimes even playing good football, but if you look at the top 8 or so teams over the last 40 years, Italy are, IMO, the least enjoyable to watch.

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What if he had given Sweden their two 'clear' penalties? Italy are currently if not 'shite' then certainly not very good and definitely over the hill. Just look at the team last night.

Buffon: 40 year old goalkeeper, a legend but still 40 years old.
Barzagli: 36 year old centre back, only started three Serie A games this season.
Bonucci: Good player no arguments there.
Chiellini: 33 years old, still a good player but getting on now
Florenzi: :shrug: A nothing player. Every team in the world has a right sided player who can get up and down and put a half decent cross in. England have about ten to the standard of Florenzi.
Candreva: Just a journeyman midfielder until Inter lost their minds and spunked 20 million euros on him. 30 years old.
Jorginho: I quite like, decent player.
Parolo: 32 years old, again decent combative midfielder, but not going to set the world alight is he?
Darmian: Manchester United's third choice left back behind Blind and Ashley Young.
Gabbiadini: A Southampton striker who has scored 3 goals this season. England fans would be tearing their hair out if we were picking this chump up front.
Immobile: Great player.

The bench is hardly full of quality either.

Sorry but that is a pretty shite team. It just does not have the legs in midfield, out wide or in defence to compete at the top level, or the quality in midfield to compensate. England actually do have a better team than this, and there are not many of the top nations you can say that about.

Jorginho only decent?really?But you failed to mention Belotti,Insigne,Sharraway and Verratti???????

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Yes I watched them. Italy have been a successful team over the years, sometimes even playing good football, but if you look at the top 8 or so teams over the last 40 years, Italy are, IMO, the least enjoyable to watch.

Obviously you can't recognise entertaining football when you see it.I'll also throw in Italy 2 Germany 0 in the Euros and World Cup semi in recent times.Seriously you need to reconsider what you write.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's a shame that Italy won't be there for a few reasons:

Buffon is a true football great and this is an ignominious way to bow out of international football
Veratti, Belotti and Insigne are three of my favourite players in the world at the moment and I'd have liked to see them there
Plus it will feel weird without them there.

That said, they don't deserve to be there. And the manager is shit. I hope they can do a reboot and build a team around the likes of Donnarumma, Rugani, Zappacosta, Jorginho, Bernadeschi plus the players above because when Italy are at their best they are phenomenal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, as Italy are now not RELEVANT to any discussion about the 2018 World Cup, let's concentrate on SWEDEN.

1. The TV producers will have a load of fit Swedish girls to pick out in the crowd. An important World Cup tradition, if ever there was one.
2. Who is to say ZLATAN won't have got bored in his enforced lay-off, and be enticed out of International retirement. That would be a plus.
3. If they end up in England's group, we can all take the 0-0 correct score at 7/1 and pay for our World Cup beers.
4. Fit Swedish girls.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously you can't recognise entertaining football when you see it.
Or maybe you're too biased to see how neutrals view your games. Of course over the years you've had some individuals who've lit up games and made them enjoyable, but apart from those moments I don't enjoy the style you typically play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[MENTION=36127]San Siro[/MENTION], you're out. Nobody here cares. Get over it. You weren't good enough to win your group, and you weren't good enough to score a goal in 180 minutes against stubborn but moderate opposition. You've slid down to 15th in the World rankings, which means that much like England, you're nothing special. And not very special teams often run the risk of missing out on tournaments. This time, you're one of em.

Suck it up fella, and get yourself a couple of boxsets in for next summer. See you in 2020 (maybe).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Jorginho only decent?really?But you failed to mention Belotti,Insigne,Sharraway and Verratti???????

I did say I liked Jorginho. Belotti is a one season wonder as it stands, about as good as Jamie Vardy, maybe worse because he is untested at Champions League level. Insigne granted would get in most international sides. Shaarawy looks the business this season, but I would like to see this quality over longer time period to really rate him and Veratti is injured so not really relevant to the team last night.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The more they post the deeper it gets :whistle:

images.jpeg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The World Cup has ALWAYS been a trade-off between having the world's best teams, and extending the sport's appeal to new parts of the globe and new markets. Since moving to a 32 team tournament, it has worked an absolute treat. Places like the USA, China, NZ and Australia have all qualified and elevated the sport to the mainstream in those countries. Obviously, Europe has born the brunt of that in terms of number of half decent countries failing to make the cut, but let's be clear - the tournament is not enriched by having more bang average European teams at the expense of new but slightly worse teams from other parts of the globe. In 2017/18, Italy are one of those bang average European teams who would have qualified if they weren't European. They are very ordinary though, so...meh. 48 teams (as is FIFA's intention) will be the goose that kills the golden egg obviously, if awarding it to Qatar hasn't already done that. We'll be gorging on too many meaningless fixtures.

I'd agree that the current bunch of Italians aren't world beaters but then I thought that in the last Euros. The number they did on the Spanish was superb and highlighted Conte's tactical acumen which is clearly in stark contrast to Ace's. They could have got somewhere but we will never know and I won't lose any sleep over it. Personally, I was more tempted to say I'd miss the Dutch because they travel in numbers and have a history of playing attacking football. Then I think about it and they aren't all that either and part it me wants to see empty stadiums to show up the Russians. Its the least enthusiastic I've ever been for an upcoming international tournament and one I have no intention of travelling to.

As for the last point, a WC in Qatar followed by a noddy 48 team one is just a recipe for shitness. I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest international football could die on its arse in that timeframe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd agree that the current bunch of Italians aren't world beaters but then I thought that in the last Euros. The number they did on the Spanish was superb and highlighted Conte's tactical acumen which is clearly in stark contrast to Ace's. They could have got somewhere but we will never know and I won't lose any sleep over it. Personally, I was more tempted to say I'd miss the Dutch because they travel in numbers and have a history of playing attacking football. Then I think about it and they aren't all that either and part it me wants to see empty stadiums to show up the Russians. Its the least enthusiastic I've ever been for an upcoming international tournament and one I have no intention of travelling to.

As for the last point, a WC in Qatar followed by a noddy 48 team one is just a recipe for shitness. I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest international football could die on its arse in that timeframe.

Agree with every word of that.

Although I just re-read my own paragraph: "goose that kills the golden egg". What the fck was I talking about? "Killing the goose that lays the golden egg" might have been what I meant to say. :lolol:

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Or maybe you're too biased to see how neutrals view your games. Of course over the years you've had some individuals who've lit up games and made them enjoyable, but apart from those moments I don't enjoy the style you typically play.

I'm overall happy with our style of play and the success that's brought not just in terms of winning tournaments but also by progessing far in others.Also in terms of some fanatstic standout games.Only a few teams can boast of that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shall I ban [MENTION=36127]San Siro[/MENTION] from this thread? It is about the WORLD CUP, after all, so it doesn't really concern him :shrug:

San Siro

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
[MENTION=36127]San Siro[/MENTION], you're out. Nobody here cares. Get over it. You weren't good enough to win your group, and you weren't good enough to score a goal in 180 minutes against stubborn but moderate opposition. You've slid down to 15th in the World rankings, which means that much like England, you're nothing special. And not very special teams often run the risk of missing out on tournaments. This time, you're one of em.

Suck it up fella, and get yourself a couple of boxsets in for next summer. See you in 2020 (maybe).

Seriously I'm well past the point where not being in a football tournament is the most important thing in my life.I would have liked to have been in Russia however we are not there and if that means a revolution then great.There are seriously more important things in my life to deal with but it's always nice debating/arguing with people about Italian football especially those who have bigoted and ignorant views developed by a bigoted and ignorant english media which I've grown up with.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here