Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgia - Old Restaurants and Bars in Brighton

corrallt

Feb 14, 2004
Kent
Any one remember the Cellar Bar in ship Street? In late 70s there was a bloke used to play guitar and sing every Friday and Saturday night. Many a good night spent there with half a pint of cider and six straws.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
between the ages of 16 and 18 only I spent every friday and saturday night down here owned by the Forroue a nice family

Are you the same guy I said hello to at Charlton last season???

Talk about nostalgia for nostalgia. This thread is nigh on 10 year's old!

Only picked up on it as I was looking for some old pics of Sherry's back in the day!!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I've just remembered what a superb pub the Seven Stars was when it was still furnished with the original Victorian / Edwardian fixtures and fittings. The classic horseshoe-shaped serving area in the middle, with lots of small bars and rooms off it.

They ripped the place apart to turn it into one big, open space. And it stopped being a pub and became some sort of "entertainment" centre.

£12.00 to get in?

Mr Bronson

Feb 24, 2009
Sampsons in Kemp Town was a regular for birthday treats. If it was still going now it would making an absolute fortune. As would the coffee roasters that was on Sydney Street.

The Gloucester where I pulled the now Mrs Branson and of course the Escape. I remember standing at the bar age 16 when the police walked in. Gave me the once over and walked out. I think there was a little bit of wee.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We played downstairs at the Alhambra for a while, also, Zaks at the bottom of Preston Street, and the Abinger, where the entire bar staff quit when we turned on the bass speakers :)
Bar manager trying to serve, whilst constantly moving bottles and glasses back onto the shelves as they moved forward in time with the music was entertaining :smile:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is Kaps nightclub on Western Rd, under the kebab shop still open? Spent many a Friday night in there in the early 2000's then it turned really dodgy with the staff nicking handbags and wallets, the bouncers punching women if challenged. Grim.

Cactus Canteen opposite what used to Rounders records. Many a staff night out there getting slaughtered on free tequila.

Blind Lemon Alley. Lovely food, great staff, a huge range of unusual drinks. Got utterly chateauxed on Absinthe in there on the Mrs' birthday back in 2004. The last time I got truly, utterly, beyond funny, trollied.

The Tin Drum on the Dials. Used to frequent here often. Ran by a lovely chap Nigel, who now runs Riddle & Finns. Good food and booze and far nicer than the other two in the same group.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Sampsons in Kemp Town was a regular for birthday treats. If it was still going now it would making an absolute fortune. As would the coffee roasters that was on Sydney Street.

The Gloucester where I pulled the now Mrs Branson and of course the Escape. I remember standing at the bar age 16 when the police walked in. Gave me the once over and walked out. I think there was a little bit of wee.

My dad backed Hallo Dandy in the 1984 Grand National. He took the family for a meal at Sampsons with the winnings.

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
the owner f the original concorde bar and before thet the chinese jazz club to become the florida rooms has recently died Bonnie Manzie

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Is Kaps nightclub on Western Rd, under the kebab shop still open? Spent many a Friday night in there in the early 2000's then it turned really dodgy with the staff nicking handbags and wallets, the bouncers punching women if challenged. Grim.

Cactus Canteen opposite what used to Rounders records. Many a staff night out there getting slaughtered on free tequila.

Blind Lemon Alley. Lovely food, great staff, a huge range of unusual drinks. Got utterly chateauxed on Absinthe in there on the Mrs' birthday back in 2004. The last time I got truly, utterly, beyond funny, trollied.

The Tin Drum on the Dials. Used to frequent here often. Ran by a lovely chap Nigel, who now runs Riddle & Finns. Good food and booze and far nicer than the other two in the same group.

Kaps - as far as I know, it's gone but I spent a bit of time there around the same time period as a good friend of mine worked there. Total khazi.

Blimey Lemon Alley hasn't changed a great deal, it's now a cocktail bar called The Twisted Lemon. I was there last night.

Tin Drum is now The Cow. One of my least favourite places in Brighton. Was in Riddle and Finns last night as well - very nice it was too.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Read today that "Dirty Blond" (that I thought was a strip club, but turns out to be a cocktail bar) is closing down. That's where the Pickwick was in the old days.

Sting kicked off outside the Pickwick in Quadrophenia. "That" alley is just along the road too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here