Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does the Ricoh have that thr Amex doesnt

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Eh??

This IS the Ricoh Arena in COVENTRY we're talking about??

Central London to Ricoh Arena, 99.7 miles
Central London to Amex Stadium, 53.9 miles

One thing I really like about the Ricoh is the angle of the stands. They are much steeper than in most stadiums. I seem to recall that White Hart Lane is pretty good too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One thing I really like about the Ricoh is the angle of the stands. They are much steeper than in most stadiums. I seem to recall that White Hart Lane is pretty good too.

The angle at ROTHERHAM's new place as astonishing. I felt quite DIZZY.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I would imagine the biggest factor is that it is further from London and close to a large midlands population. If major acts are playing Wembley or the Emirates etc. it makes little sense to come to Brighton where the catchment area is relatively small.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Was under the impression it was council owned, the football club owed them a shitload of rent which they refused to pay, hence they were booted out. Has something changed in ownership?

You are indeed probably correct.

However, I still think that they run it predominantly for a revenue stream. Whoever owns it even said that if Coventry didn't come back they knew that they would be able to survive with all the other revenue that comes in

I guess the point I was trying to make is whether we actually try to get these concerts etc. as Tony knows that the stadium is there to be the home of the football club and nothing else. Whereas with the ricoh, it is there to make as much money as possible.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Wasps now own the Ricoh - Coventry City are reluctant tenants. Their owners constantly harp on about building a new stadium "in the Coventry area" but the local councils deny any discussions with them over planning applications.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
The Ricoh in Coventry seems to be able to attract gigs fairly well. As yet the Amex not so much.
This summer Coventry plays host to Rihanna and Bruce Springsteen. Cant understand why we seem to struggle to attract big names.

Watch this space Atomised, as i know a gig (not Rihanna or Springsteen) is pencilled in for the 3rd June at the Amex. Don't know much more than that yet.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No NIMBYS

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
image.jpeg

It has an elephant mascot on wheels in the home dressing room that you can go and find for a ride at 3 in the morning via the pitch & tunnel :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They have (London) Wasps playing rugby on there c15 times throughout the course of the football season.

Technically, Wasps have Coventry City playing there 23 times a season.

Wasps (or their owners) own the Ricoh Arena. Coventry City are merely tenants. They have bugger all say in who gets to use the pitch, or the stadium. They pay a hefty rent, and make little money other than a percentage of the concession sales, and profits from the CCFC shop sales.

Hence they want to move to a new stadium. Imagine a city granting permission for two new stadiums within ten or fifteen years? Unthinkable (here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here