Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Bent.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Would love to sign him but can't see it happening.

I could well see us signing him on loan .unless his contract is up at Villa in which case he will be free to earn the £ note at a higher rate elsewhere

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Has been told to go on holiday by Tim Sherwood. Would he be an improvement on Best and would you consider him as a permanent signing?

Risky strategy by Sherwood? Must have another striker lined up then, as I can't see Benteke being there next season? I would have thought Bent would have been a good option on the bench for Villa's remaining games. As for coming to us? I'm in, but I don't think he will be.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Buckley?
Bridge?
Upson?
Kayal?

Buckley......never realised his true potential with us IMHO. Lived of his two goal v Donny....absolute pony at times, brilliant rarely.
Bridge.....yes brilliant with us, different gravy, was not our player.
Upson......yes brilliant too.
Kayal..........brilliant prospect, excited by him.

But you have to admit there has been a lot of failures and CMS was one I am afraid, never lived up to his price tag, lovely bloke though and was all heart. Barnes would look good against our current crop, not bad when he was here.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Has been told to go on holiday by Tim Sherwood. Would he be an improvement on Best and would you consider him as a permanent signing?

A block of lard placed on the centre circle for the duration of the game would be an improvement on Best.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Wasn't his loan spell not renewed because he created dis-harmony in the dressing room? Think I read something on here about that but who knows. I'd have him back.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Wasn't his loan spell not renewed because he created dis-harmony in the dressing room? Think I read something on here about that but who knows. I'd have him back.

I haven't heard that. In fact, in Naylor's review of the January transfer window business (which appeared in the Argus on February 5), he stated:-

Albion would have liked to have retained the goalscoring expertise of Darren Bent but he was snapped up by Derby, competing at the right end of the table, once his loan from Villa expired.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Exactly the sort of striker we are looking for. Experienced goalscorer who can play up front on his own. Will he come? Doubt it very much, wages obviously and more than likely he will have been lined up elsewhere by now.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Parking aside whether we would stump up the wages for a player like Bent, more importantly, would he wish to play for us?

He's a great finisher, no doubt, but has never been a striker prepared to graft/track back when a team's under the cosh.

Derby played a free-flowing style of football and moved the ball quickly forward. Ideal for a player like Bent, who could find space as defenders move out of position.

But he's no fool - he'll know the Albion style, which is far more pedestrian, and it's unlikely he'll fancy adapting to that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OK Mr Bloom go and do a Bamber and bring him home

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I could well see us signing him on loan .unless his contract is up at Villa in which case he will be free to earn the £ note at a higher rate elsewhere

His contract is up, so free to sign for another club. Apparently he was on £3m a year at Villa, so yeah can't see him wanting to take much of a cut (if one at all).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His contract is up, so free to sign for another club. Apparently he was on £3m a year at Villa, so yeah can't see him wanting to take much of a cut (if one at all).

The other angle of course is that he is obviously a wealthy man and playing at a club regularly could figure higher on his list of demands than earning the top dollar and sitting on a bench as he has done for some time this season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Unless one of the promoted teams take a punt on him there weren't any takers in the prem hence him dropping into the championship, if so he will need to drop his wage demands unless he heads for the MLS

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
Cracking signing if we want to pay his wages, and we can actually give him the service he was getting at Derby!

Jul 7, 2003
It has already been reported that McClaren wants to sign Bent (and Ince) permanently to head their promotion push for next season. If he is settled in his home then Derby is not that far to drive everyday so would make a sensible move for him.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It has already been reported that McClaren wants to sign Bent (and Ince) permanently to head their promotion push for next season. If he is settled in his home then Derby is not that far to drive everyday so would make a sensible move for him.
That's us out then. It is nice to dream, it only for a few hours!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Absolutey what we need

Absolutely not what we will get due to £££££

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here