Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should she stay or should she go now?

Theresa May?

• Go

Votes: 81 38.2%
  • Stay

Votes: 131 61.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's my opinion that she has been dreadfully treated by the public faces of her party. She is a well meaning woman who has had no support and has been publically embarrassed and attacked time, and time again. The treatment of her has been appalling, she is doing the best she can with the worst hand a PM has ever inherited and it is no wonder people aren't happy. Brexit didn't mean anything when she became the PM, she has defined it. The deal isn't brilliant for anyone, but neither is the thing which was voted for - there was no clear expectation of what would happen in the event of the Leave vote. The people moaning are the people who always moan, whatever the circumstances.

Rather hard to have any sympathy with her when she put herself forward for the role of PM ..... she didn't get it shoved on her. Throw in her lies and I have even less sympathy with her.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rather hard to have any sympathy with her when she put herself forward for the role of PM ..... she didn't get it shoved on her. Throw in her lies and I have even less sympathy with her.
Very much this. I'm sure some people forget that this is self inflicted.

* She was part of a government that held a referendum after being spooked by a chancer.
* She held a GE in order to strengthen her hand, but then didn't bother campaigning - the result of which was that it weakened her hand massively
* She got into bed with the DUP, ensuring Brexit was delivered against the will of the people of Northern Ireland and costing the rest of us £1bn.
* She has put a properly shithouse deal on the table
* She lies about her intentions. Lots.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

She was the best of a dreadful bunch. I admire her courage stepping forward, despite not voting for Brexit and knowing the political shitstorm she was inheriting.

What lies are you accusing her of telling?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's my opinion that she has been dreadfully treated by the public faces of her party. She is a well meaning woman who has had no support and has been publically embarrassed and attacked time, and time again. The treatment of her has been appalling, she is doing the best she can with the worst hand a PM has ever inherited and it is no wonder people aren't happy. Brexit didn't mean anything when she became the PM, she has defined it. The deal isn't brilliant for anyone, but neither is the thing which was voted for - there was no clear expectation of what would happen in the event of the Leave vote. The people moaning are the people who always moan, whatever the circumstances.

The 2016 Referendum was a pack of lies. She made a big mistake on getting the PM job by becoming part of that circus of lies by claiming she'd get a "Red, White and Blue" Brexit and make a big success of it.

In reality she's been asked to deliver the undeliverable. She's worked hard to produce this Deal that nobody likes and nobody voted for - it is a halfway house between Leave and Remain that makes us into a rule taker, not rule maker.

I don't see why anyone should feel sorry for her. She has complete contempt for Jeremy Corbyn and has made no effort to build bridges or work with other parliamentary leaders in pursuit of a consensus Brexit. She was in contempt of parliament last week and her refusal to complete the 5 day discussion and have a vote on her Deal before the Xmas recess is as contemptible as anything else she's done.

Horrible woman, horrible party.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What lies are you accusing her of telling?

Let's remember she :

1. Said there wouldn't be an general election ..... and then held one.
2. Said that no deal was better than a bad deal ..... and is now trying to deliver a bad deal.
3. Said that said the vote yesterday wouldn't be postponed ..... and then postponed it.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The 2016 Referendum was a pack of lies. She made a big mistake on getting the PM job by becoming part of that circus of lies by claiming she'd get a "Red, White and Blue" Brexit and make a big success of it.

In reality she's been asked to deliver the undeliverable. She's worked hard to produce this Deal that nobody likes and nobody voted for - it is a halfway house between Leave and Remain that makes us into a rule taker, not rule maker.

I don't see why anyone should feel sorry for her. She has complete contempt for Jeremy Corbyn and has made no effort to build bridges or work with other parliamentary leaders in pursuit of a consensus Brexit. She was in contempt of parliament last week and her refusal to complete the 5 day discussion and have a vote on her Deal before the Xmas recess is as contemptible as anything else she's done.

Horrible woman, horrible party.

Agree with some of this but the referendum was a pack of lies on the leave side too.

Remember Boris didn't have the guts to stand as leader after the vote had taken place. May effectively stepped into a void. Its much easier as a Brexiteer to shout from the sidelines than actually be the one carrying out what is an impossible job.

The only thing Corbyn is interested in is forcing a General Election. I think Labour are as divided as the Tories on this and would argue that if the Labour leadership were more moderate, there would be far more chance of getting stuff agreed in Parliament. To the majority of Tory MPs (and the country as a whole) Corbyn is unelectable as leader and a far worse prospect than having May stumble on for the foreseeable future.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Stay, for now but what an utter shambles of a situation to have got into!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I voted May to stay.

I can't bear the woman, she is stubborn, selfish, myopic and a liar. But sadly, the alternative is worse. In accordance with party rules, Tory MPs would vote to narrow the field down to 2, at least 1 of which will be a hard Brexiter. The decision then goes to the Tory Membership. In March 2018 there were just 134,000 of these. Subsequently, UKIP and worse have infiltrated the party with EXACTLY this scenario in mind. Whatever your view on Brexit, this cannot be described as the will of the people. The hard Brexiter is therefore bound to win. There will be no time for another deal, and the new leader will be happy to crash out with No Deal. Cue food and drug shortages, Kent and Newhaven as lorry parks etc. JRM and his mates will be shorting the £ the moment she loses - they will gain, everybody else loses.

Project Fear? I fear not.

If she survives, she still won't get her deal through Parliament. She may well, as a last resort, have to go to a referendum to attempt to get it through. I suspect she would attempt to go Her Deal v No Deal. But if Parliament doesn't buy that, they could amend it to Her Deal v Remain. We'd need to delay Article 50 to have time for a People's Vote, and crucially, the EU are more likely to agree that if Remain is on the ballot. A 2nd referendum is now Evens at the Bookies having been long odds a few months ago.

PG

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stay without doubt. I was a remainer . It was a non political vote and all parties should have rallied round to help government get best deal. Instead has just been used as a political weapon. Whatever party was in power a large number of MPs just like the electorate would disagree. Have no doubt she has agreed best available and we are lucky rest of Europe has not told us to sod of with nothing

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
She was the best of a dreadful bunch. I admire her courage stepping forward, despite not voting for Brexit and knowing the political shitstorm she was inheriting.

Well said and she has more courage than the nest of vipers in her cabinet. And who is likely to take over as the rest of them are backstabbers. She came out in her warpaint this morning so is ready for the fight.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Who cares, she's a Tory. They're all as self-servingly incompetent as the next

Unfortunately, there are far too many MPs playing party politics and personal ambition above national interest.

We should be having a vote of no confidence in every one of them.

The “debate” the other day showed up the Labour Party to be totally unelectable. How they think a General Election at this point would help anything beggars belief. No party could put a united policy forward that they could actually deliver on at the moment and they need to drop the party divisions and debate this properly. Something they should have been doing for 2 years.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stay and get the country into gear.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
She is so out of touch and incompetent, I wish she would lose the vote. Looks like she has more than sufficient numbers in her favour though.

People saying that calling this vote is self-serving - don't you think the vast majority of MPs are in it to further their own ambitions? It would be great to replace her, giving she'll get no concessions in Europe. But, it looks like she will live to fight another day.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Government causes brexit.
NHS crumbles.
Government privatise NHS.
Poor people die.
Government wins.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Eeyore