Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Down on your boyfriend’

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Then rise above it. The fact you're bothered, or even offended means they've got to you - and that's exactly what they want. :shrug:

This. It was never an issue in the past, it just seemed an irrelevency, a bit like you look in the dustbin for something to eat or we pay your benefits. It's just the normal lazy stereotyping that football fans do. Doesn't particularly make it right. Doesn't make it a hate crime either. IMHO, like.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes. When people sing it I don't get upset or anything, but when I reflect on it I appreciate that it's not nice for young men (particularly the away fans) who are internally coming to terms with their sexuality, while their mates attempt to mock people for being gay. Imagine you were a 15 year old gay lad, living in backwards Huddersfield, and you go to watch a game with your mates and they're all shouting homophobic abuse. That's why I don't like it. And yes I know you picked a couple of the more gentle songs, but we know it rarely stops there and will be accompanied in the stands with '****ing po*fters' etc.

Do you agree with abuse that Zaha will no doubt get ?
If it's racist, no.
Do you agree with abuse ref and Lino gets regularly at home games ?
If it's homophobic, racist or even sexist, no. And sometimes the ref and linesman do get some quite aggressive abuse sent their way, and I don't necessarily approve, but it is only the targeted person that's getting some impersonal meaningless abuse. The bigger problem with homophobic chants are that you're potentially causing much more harm to many people in the stands (like I say, not usually the Brighton fans, because Brighton is thankfully a very tolerant city).

This makes me a lot more uncomfortable than their crowd taking the mickey out of ours.
That's because you don't actually understand the problem - see above.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Have attitudes changed or has the opposition? I'd be very surprised if we got say Millwall, Chesterfield or even Portsmouth away in the cup and we didn't get the best part of 90 minutes of 'Does your boyfriend know your here'

Whilst I'd agree it's hardly mature, I've sure many of us have joined in with a sheep shaggers chant which is equally as inaccurate and puerile. Until a footballer comes out and the abuse is personal - similar to Bong away at Burnley - it's not something I can get annoyed about.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then rise above it. The fact you're bothered, or even offended means they've got to you
They haven't got to me. Read above.

If our town had a large black community, do you think it would be fine if the away fans made monkey chants towards us as a bit of banter? Oh it's only a joke. If you don't think that's acceptable, why not?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Yes. When people sing it I don't get upset or anything, but when I reflect on it I appreciate that it's not nice for young men (particularly the away fans) who are internally coming to terms with their sexuality, while their mates attempt to mock people for being gay. Imagine you were a 15 year old gay lad, living in backwards Huddersfield, and you go to watch a game with your mates and they're all shouting homophobic abuse. That's why I don't like it. And yes I know you picked a couple of the more gentle songs, but we know it rarely stops there and will be accompanied in the stands with '****ing ******s' etc.

If it's racist, no.
If it's homophobic, racist or even sexist, no. And sometimes the ref and linesman do get some quite aggressive abuse sent their way, and I don't necessarily approve, but it is only the targeted person that's getting some impersonal meaningless abuse. The bigger problem with homophobic chants are that you're potentially causing much more harm to many people in the stands (like I say, not usually the Brighton fans, because Brighton is thankfully a very tolerant city).

That's because you don't actually understand the problem - see above.

We`ll have to agree to disagree !!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They haven't got to me. Read above.

If our town had a large black community, do you think it would be fine if the away fans made monkey chants towards us as a bit of banter? Oh it's only a joke.

If anything, it should have been Albion fans making monkey noises at the thick northern racists. (see, we can ALL do lazy meaningless stereotypes)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think we're all getting a bit swept away by the tide in our PC boats here...

First up the OP threw some name calling at the offenders as he/she was offended.... because they were name calling. ???

Secondly, this is 25,000+ people calling 3,000 - 4,000 (I guess) names. It is a crowd jeering a crowd..... It is not directed at one person. Nobody singled out one fan because he looked gay!

There's a time to be precious, such as when a crowd turns on one player because he's black, gay, whatever - then there's a time to realise that ever since the dawn of time tribes have hurled insults at each other. Football is 'tribal' in it's nature from a supporters point of view. I doubt it will ever change, and I hope it doesn't if I'm honest. You can't tell me that even if you're the most mild mannered person you won't look at the Palace end and shout, make a wanker sign, or just a wry smile if we scored the winner in the last kick of the game.

Let them sing what they want. It was meant to annoy you, and it did. They won.

As usual, you know the square root of f all. It didn't annoy me in the slightest as (a) I wasn't there and (b) I am a straight, white man. It saddens me that on a day specifically targeted at highlighting the issues of homophobia, that the stewards and police appear to need to be prompted of the issue and that the usual apologists trot out their "PC gone mad" trope.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Totally agree....!! I`ve been to many games where our crowd picks on individuals...Imagine tuesday, Zaha may get a bit .
Is anyone, Gay or straight really bothered with "Does your boyfriend know your`e here", Or "we can see you holding hands"?.

This gay Huddersfield fan seems to be upset by it;

[tweet]1068919263820464128[/tweet]

[tweet]1068919680428064770[/tweet]

Rightly or wrongly, most Brighton fans are used to it. However I can only imagine how dejecting it must be having something about you mocked by your own fans. It’s not just Brighton that have gay fans.

:shrug:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
As usual, you know the square root of f all....

So 17 thumbs up to the first reply you got, as opposed to 3 thumbs up of your original post means you're right and everyone else is completely wrong.

I'll respect your opinion, which for the record I don't think is wrong at all - but from the following posts I just think people need to get a grip sometimes. Racism is wrong, Homophobia is wrong, but we're a long way from completely eradicating it from football and I don't think you ever will when it comes to fans chanting against fans. Where do you want to be, eventually? "Your kit doesn't suit you... We say your kit doesn't suit you.. kit doesn't suuuuuit youuuu, we say your kit doesn't suuuit youuuuu.."

If you want tolerance, sensible respect and high-brow opinions - try going to the opera instead of a football match...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Rightly or wrongly, most Brighton fans are used to it. However I can only imagine how dejecting it must be having something about you mocked by your own fans. It’s not just Brighton that have gay fans.

Whilst I get the whole tribal/banter thing, there are 3 things specifically against ground regulations, and quite rightly so IMHO.

10 Racial, homophobic or discriminatory abuse, chanting or harassment is strictly forbidden
and will result in arrest and/or ejection from the Ground. The Club may impose a ban for
one or more Matches.

It doesn't matter how mild it was or is considered, it is against the regulations and, therefore, the law. Homophobic/racist chanting/abuse is in no way analogous to abusing player/fans on non discriminatory grounds. As I say, I have no real vested interest as I am a straight, white man who, whilst having gay and ethnic background friends, have no Albion supporting gay or ethnic friends. But I don't see how that precludes me from being saddened that so many people think it is acceptable, especially on a day designed to bring awareness of the real and sometimes horrific examples of homophobia within sport. The campaign is trying to bring homophobia on a par with racism within the game and I would like to think that had the chants been racist in tone, however "mild" it was considered, they would have been widely condemned.

It isn't trying to stop any other kind of chanting or abuse as many would have you believe. And I doubt many people would expect it to change the opinions of those with homophobic views. All it is trying to do is have a similar effect to the Kick it Out campaign. And I for one am delighted that the incidents of racism at football matches are greatly reduced.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
So 17 thumbs up to the first reply you got, as opposed to 3 thumbs up of your original post means you're right and everyone else is completely wrong.

I'll respect your opinion, which for the record I don't think is wrong at all - but from the following posts I just think people need to get a grip sometimes. Racism is wrong, Homophobia is wrong, but we're a long way from completely eradicating it from football and I don't think you ever will when it comes to fans chanting against fans.

If you want tolerance, sensible respect and high-brow opinions - try going to the opera instead of a football match...
You made a series of wild assumptions about me based on a very short post. You were massively wrong. Therefore, you know the square root of f all.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Those on here saying 'just ignore it' or 'its just banter' or whatever really need to think again, as your post shows.

Sad to read about the abuse outside the ground too. It's often pretty awful stuff being shouted in comparison to the 'does your boyfriend know your here' type chant inside the ground, often to fans/groups of fans with young kids too. Scumbags

...not sure how my post has ended up inside the quoted post!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
im presuming thick northern monkey , you're just a thick northern monkey. would have worked with the same song , eye for an eye and all that , y'know ....considering were not at the ballet or opera or anything.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

I'll respect your opinion, which for the record I don't think is wrong at all - but from the following posts I just think people need to get a grip sometimes. Racism is wrong, Homophobia is wrong, but we're a long way from completely eradicating it from football and I don't think you ever will when it comes to fans chanting against fans. Where do you want to be, eventually? "Your kit doesn't suit you... We say your kit doesn't suit you.. kit doesn't suuuuuit youuuu, we say your kit doesn't suuuit youuuuu.."

I know you are never wrong, but where are these 17 thumbs up to a reply to me? Because the first reply to me was you which has zero thumbs up. You are aware I am not the OP, aren't you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here