Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best Beach in Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Friends from oop north are visiting Sussex for a few days and want to go to "a nice beach" (definitely not Brighton beach). Stumped me a bit. Wasn't sure where to suggest. Is Rustington meant to be good? Any suggestions?

Friends from up North + Rustington = No

Littlehampton is ok if you have younger kids, like crabbing and want 'kiss me quick' lite.
Just don't, I repeat DON'T stray away from the sight of water.

I'm a big fan of Bracklesham Bay but it's a bit of a ball ache to get to, much like the Witterings, but obviously being close to Chichester harbour and Chi in general.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Friends from oop north are visiting Sussex for a few days and want to go to "a nice beach" (definitely not Brighton beach). Stumped me a bit. Wasn't sure where to suggest. Is Rustington meant to be good? Any suggestions?

Although the beach about three quarters of the way down towards the Marina is very sheltered, relatively secluded and well regarded by its clientel.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Old fashioned seaside Littlehampton and West Beach.
Closer to Brighton Goring by sea, tide goes a long way out and rock pools. There is also a wooded area and green area if you drive along the sea road towards Ferring.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Shoreham-by-sea

Clean, quiet, no rocks and rarely any weed, loads of sand at low tide, usually some halfway up too. Less than 10m walk to station and you can usually find somewhere to park for free. Also, Shoreham is not a seaside town due to the river so a total lack of naffness.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Funny you should mention the DM, I used to cycle from Bexhill, when a yoof to see my GP, always insisted I go and get the DM from the local newsagents.
Great times, especially bombing down Battery Hill.

Battery Hill took another cycling casualty the other day, the problem is the speed at which cyclists and car drivers descend and the average age of those driving out of junctions!

Tis' great cycling all around that area though, some fantastic views!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Do yourself a favor and pop into Kent instead to Broadstairs. Sussex beaches are naff

Pretty much this really, particularly if it's sand that you are looking for, very little of it anywhere in our fair county. Special mention to Ferring though where the tide goes out a long way and reveals an expanse of sand twice a day. The Blubird Cafe at the top of the beach is a good place to sit and watch the world go by too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do yourself a favor and pop into Kent instead to Broadstairs. Sussex beaches are naff

Hmmmm.....I'd go a bit further North to Joss Bay. Broadstairs is to 'harboury' like St Ives harbour, for me. There are nice beaches much closer to Brighton however. I personally like a pebble beach and prefer to swim at High Tide. Kingsdown is a favourite. If you want sand, however, and especially want to avoid crowds, Lydd/Greatstone, Rye harbour (low tide), Winchelsea and the area between west beach Littlehampton and Climping are all ace.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Beautiful walk from Hastings to Pett at low tide. Where lives Viv Albertine of The Slits, which is very apt.

Does she? Mrs T and I are big fans of Pett Level and Ms Albertine. How exciting.....:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Kent’s beaches don’t compare to those in Dorset!

Without wishing to be as spiky as this sounds, what part of 'best beaches in Sussex' don't you understand? At least Kent is 'near' to Sussex and accessible by day trip. :shrug:

Anyway, this is nice:

beach.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Seaford beach has been particularly busy this year, and not just because of locals. I think The Guardian or another paper mentioned it in some sort of top 10 and there seems to have been more day-trippers.

Good place to go if you just want to have a dip, chill out and not be surrounded by the noise and clutter you find at similar beaches in larger towns.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess it is a geology thing - a subject of which I know nothing.

But we spent a week in June at Studland Bay in Dorset on mile after mile of beautiful sandy beaches. This was at the beginning of the heatwave and it was just perfect. And we have just returned from a week on the Norfolk Broads - and again the beaches at Sheringham, Wells-next-the-Sea and particularly Gorleston are incredible. So why are the beaches in Sussex so pony? Is it to do with the rocks or the tide - or a combination of both? Seems odd that just round each corner the beaches are so spectacular?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here