Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker Street: Brighton's Best Kept Secret?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Suddenly struck me today as I was leaving Bangers pie shop with two hearty chicken 'n' mushroom pies AND a serious sausage roll AND change from a fiver, what an absolute quality street is Baker Street. For those poor unfortunates that don't know it, it's just off London Road and behind the Open Market. In this one street you've got aforesaid glorious Bangers pie shop, PLUS unreconstructed Harveys pub The Mitre Tavern. PLUS Brighton's best pet shop A Coombs. PLUS Brighton's best fish'n'chip shop Bardsley's. PLUS Jools (and Geordie Paul) splendid barbershop. PLUS a very decent picture framing shop. And that's all just off the top of me head.

If you've not been, go soon, before it gets swallowed up in the jaws of gentrification. We won't see its like again.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Suddenly struck me today as I was leaving Bangers pie shop with two hearty chicken 'n' mushroom pies AND a serious sausage roll AND change from a fiver, what an absolute quality street is Baker Street. For those poor unfortunates that don't know it, it's just off London Road and behind the Open Market. In this one street you've got aforesaid glorious Bangers pie shop, PLUS unreconstructed Harveys pub The Mitre Tavern. PLUS Brighton's best pet shop A Coombs. PLUS Brighton's best fish'n'chip shop Bardsley's. PLUS Jools (and Geordie Paul) splendid barbershop. PLUS a very decent picture framing shop. And that's all just off the top of me head.

If you've not been, go soon, before it gets swallowed up in the jaws of gentrification. We won't see its like again.

PLUS Semolina the restaurant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I go to Coombs for my goldfish. I bought 4 over seven years ago, one died earlier this year, but the other three are still going strong.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
"I go to Coombs for my goldfish. I bought 4 over seven years ago, one died earlier this year, but the other three are still going strong."
My newts applause?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I shan't be popping down. It's all a little too common around there for a cultured fellow such as me.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Monkey Music Emporium

Druids Head

New Pizza restaurant (the old corals bookies)

Pound shop

All must be in Baker Street

Semolina Restaurant

Sadly the knitting shop has gone

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
and you can get your drugs at the level ... its always been a bit Sh*t and i used to live near there and drink in the Northern Tavern. The Mitre is not a shade on what it was... used to go there with my Dad..Drinking the only good thing my dad taught me.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Mitre looks depressing af but I've always wanted to try the pie shop.

The new pizza place was briefly a cool exhibition space, would have preferred it stayed as that. Haven't had Bardsley's in yonks.

I mostly use Baker St to cut from the level to get to the London Road Natwest, it's better than Oxford Street.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
your showing your age.. used to get my hair done in a barbers down there but not coopers..

A Brighton legend.
I never actually went in there but I do remember looking at his odd window display a few times.
One of my friends went in there when we were kids, Cooper swore at him and pointed at the hand written sign on the door-
No boys on Saturday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here