Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rare video footage: Brighton v Fulham 1969/70

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Many thanks. Although a snippet, I've never previously seen footage predating my first game in January 1976.

Interesting that the TV camera was in the West Stand. From my era it was on a scaffold behind the East Stand, with several outside broadcasting vans parked behind.

Regarding the football, in the lead up to the Brighton winner, our player marauding forward was fouled a couple of times, but fought on to pass. These days that would be parachute rolls, a scream and frantic slapping of the pitch, whilst awaiting the physios to save him from the metaphorical snippers bullet.

Cheers again.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What a reminder of how it used to be, I note the commentator didn't go into orbit at the scoring of the goals as we now hear and commentated on the game. Players reactions was also subdued compared to what we see today, great video.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
That was the first game my dad went to by himself after I had left a couple of months earlier to go to uni - and he won the £100 half-time jackpot! Yes, they even had the board going round with the numbers on then.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Used to catch the bus to school every day past the Goldstone, and seeing from the top deck when the scaffolding appeared was always quite an excitement.

Yes, there was always something exciting when you arrived and everything was set up. How times change.........

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've seen Kit score at least two direct from corners and from opposite side too, so truly two footed.

Stewart Henderson was our No 2, not Willie. He was a tidy full back, small and classy.

KN..the only Albion player I've bothered to get an autograph off...he used to live in one of the club houses close to the Kingston Lane traffic lights in Southwick...as a shy ten year old i went and knocked on his door :moo:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I know the BBC did that when they televised games, but Southern's budget was probably so low that they just stuck a camera in the press box.

I recall there used to be a tea hut at the back of the terracing up against the northern end of the west stand. They used to put a camera on top of that on occasion and some of the shots appear to be from there. Not sure where the main camera was sited for the long range shots in this clip. The press "box" used to be at the very back of the stand, so I doubt if the camera would get enough light in it to be positioned there. Looks like it may have been to the south side of the director's box.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
'K

I recall there used to be a tea hut at the back of the terracing up against the northern end of the west stand. They used to put a camera on top of that on occasion and some of the shots appear to be from there. Not sure where the main camera was sited for the long range shots in this clip. The press "box" used to be at the very back of the stand, so I doubt if the camera would get enough light in it to be positioned there. Looks like it may have been to the south side of the director's box.

I used to buy matchday programmes for England and other clubs from a hut there in the late 70's. They sold scarves and badges too. A wander round from the NS.

That was extent of merchandising then.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I used to buy matchday programmes for England and other clubs from a hut there in the late 70's. They sold scarves and badges too. A wander round from the NS.

That was extent of merchandising then.

Ah, when I were a lad the Supporters Club were the only people doing merchandise, although I don't think the word had been invesnted then. They did little light blue plastic star badges with a player's head in the middle, blue and white rosettes and a line in supporters club pin badges. There was an annual handbook that people still collect to this day. I don't even think they did rattles, bobble hats and scarves in the early 60s - they were either made by your nan or picked up from the army surplus stores. Aye, them were the days!

droogie

Aug 29, 2015
Just a kid at the time. Remember Fulham in the north stand that day. as Luton had been earlier in the season, I think. This game may have been shown in an extended version on southern soccer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here