Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Worst Beatles track ever for me...Ob-la-di. Ob-la-da. Hate it. Really, really hate it.

Have you not heard Honey Don't, or All Together Now! or Mr Moonlight?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Minor pedantry but the Regent Ballroom (as The Big Apple) hosted many big acts in the 70's (including The Stones, T-Rex, Johnny Winter). And it was up the road a little from what is now Boots. I never knew that it was used in the 60's for concerts. Every day's a school day.

Pretty sure that the steps up to Boots in West Street are about where the entrance to the Regent was. Properties further north from there are of an older vintage. I do remember going to the Regent on a Saturday morning and they had some live music going on in the early sixties and that there was a bank on the corner until Branson took it over for his first Virgin store (although they'd run out by the time I got there). Yeah, the Big Apple was definatley 70s. Other than the Hippodrome, the best place for pop in the mid sixties would have been at the Aquarium where the Who played a few times.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Pretty sure that the steps up to Boots in West Street are about where the entrance to the Regent was. Properties further north from there are of an older vintage. I do remember going to the Regent on a Saturday morning and they had some live music going on in the early sixties and that there was a bank on the corner until Branson took it over for his first Virgin store (although they'd run out by the time I got there). Yeah, the Big Apple was definatley 70s. Other than the Hippodrome, the best place for pop in the mid sixties would have been at the Aquarium where the Who played a few times.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+regent+brighton&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG5OjBgZHVAhXJIsAKHcnBApUQ_AUICigC&biw=1280&bih=800&dpr=2#imgrc=81VvtEjDVbyAnM:

The entrance to Big Apple was around the back, up an extremely rickety fire escape on the outside of the building.

This shows it better

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+regent+brighton&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG5OjBgZHVAhXJIsAKHcnBApUQ_AUICigC&biw=1280&bih=800&dpr=2#imgdii=x9_JxM36kTtT2M:&imgrc=81VvtEjDVbyAnM:

I always assumed that Boots, being on the corner wasn't on the Regent site but I wasn't around when it was all pulled down.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Compared to the entrance, the interior of the Regent cinema was absolutely massive (I think the last film I saw there was Nicholas and Alexandria in th early 70s) and I'm pretty sure that the ballroom was on top of that. It probably all took up most of that whole block behind the facade of the bank and offices.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Let It Be, Super Deluxe Exclusive Collector's Limited Edition 50th Anniversary one time only with a book and all that guff.

A bargain at a ton +.

Does Macca really need the dough?

let.JPG

Or might it be a little exploitative?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Let It Be, Super Deluxe Exclusive Collector's Limited Edition 50th Anniversary one time only with a book and all that guff.

A bargain at a ton +.

Does Macca really need the dough?

View attachment 141275

Or might it be a little exploitative?

Perhaps it has some new material of similar, Abba has released a couple of new songs after 30 years - whats to stop the Beatles getting back together?....:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps it has some new material of similar, Abba has released a couple of new songs after 30 years - whats to stop the Beatles getting back together?....:shrug:
Well, there's at least two reasons, sadly. Even if there wasn't that little snag, it would still be a bad idea - they peaked at Sergeant Pepper; the subsequent albums were at best patchy, and they made the right decision to break up when they did.
In a class of their own while they were together though - true pioneers, peerless, head and shoulders above the rest.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
My best mate saw them play at the Cavern from the start (when a spotty teenage Cilla worked in the cloakroom). I asked him once how many times; "20-30". That's quite something. He told me about the time he saw them in their new suits and with their new instruments, and how everyone realised they (locals with little cash) would probably never see them live again.

Oddly, the Beatles are far from my mate's favourite band, and he waxes lyrical about numerous other bands from the time (Little Richard playing a New Brighton, etc).

For me, in the 60s, I loved them, but I found them strangely overhyped, even as a 5-8 year old. I love my music (and listen to maybe 30 tracks a day on the train to and from work) but I have no Beatles on my iPod (I did, but I wiped it). As a 5-8 year old, the music that made me go 'wow' was:

Telstar by the Tornados (the first record that blew me away)
Shakin' all over by Johnny Kidd and the Pirates
Kite by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound
Break Away by the Beach boys
Marrakesh Express by Crosby Stills and Nash
Walk away Renee by the Four Tops
You've lost that lovin feelin by the Walker Brothers
Baby Come back by the Equals

Oh, I could go on . . . :lolol:

Please no, if you don't even rate one of the many Hollies classics like "Stay, "Look Through Any Window" etc. do'nt include this durge by Graham Nash.

And it's "Kites", not Kite.

Anything by Spencer Davis for me, listen to some of their album stuff. And the Manfreds.

The Artwoods were vastly under-rated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Please no, if you don't even rate one of the many Hollies classics like "Stay, "Look Through Any Window" etc. do'nt include this durge by Graham Nash.

Anything by Spencer Davis for me, listen to some of their album stuff. And the Manfreds.

You had to buy into the hippy culture with Marrakesh Express I guess, I loved it and the album, especially Suite Judy Blue Eyes. It was so so different to anything else at the time. Dirge? We have a different interpretation of a dirge, Mull Of Kintyre is my definition of a dirge, along with Hey Jude and Let it Be :smile:

Marrakesh Express was an upbeat sunny pop song imo

I bloody loved the Hollies too but I get why Nash left

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That's me, told :eek:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Say what you like about the Beatles, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but at least they knew how to defend a free kick.

20211108_173627.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Are you not going to attribute this to the twitter poster who wrote the joke last week then?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Are you not going to attribute this to the twitter poster who wrote the joke last week then?

Agree, I also saw 3 other Twitter accounts claiming the joke as their own rather than retweet the original.

If some photoshop expert could swop Lennon for Trossard, that would be funny.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ok,freaks, have I mentioned they were an over rated plagiaristic manufactured boy band, that suck…:lolol:

What a load of bolleaux! And who was producing songs like Penny Lane, Help, Strawberry Fields and umpteen others that they were supposed to be plagiarising? As opposed to imitation being the sincerest form of flattery ............... cough .......... psychobilly ............. cough ........
:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here