Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon 2017

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That was a great match, I believe Jo has just put her provisional world ranking to a career high 4th. If she wins the whole thing she could go 3rd. Weirdly the new world number 1 looks like being Karolína Plíšková who has always struggled on grass, she was knocked out in the second round again this year.

Unfortunately Jo now faces Venus in the semi-final, although at some point Venus is going to lose a tournament, I can't see it being this year.
This is all useful experience for Jo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That.

Serena has RULED women's tennis for a decade. Venus hadn't made a GS final for ten years until Australia this year. Konta beat her in straight sets last time they met (very recently).

Agreed. From the quarter-finals Halep looked by far and away the biggest obstacle. I honestly didn't think Konta could beat her, but there is no reason she can't win it now. Expect Muguruza to be in the final from the other half.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Unfortunately Jo now faces Venus in the semi-final, although at some point Venus is going to lose a tournament, I can't see it being this year.
This is all useful experience for Jo.

Venus will be a tough match, but she's not the force she once was. She hasn't won a grand slam since 2008 and hasn't made this stage of Wimbledon since 2009.

That.

Serena has RULED women's tennis for a decade. Venus hadn't made a GS final for ten years until Australia this year. Konta beat her in straight sets last time they met (very recently).

Konta is 3-2 up in matches between the two but I think their last meetings was at the Rome Masters which Venus won.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Venus will be a tough match, but she's not the force she once was. She hasn't won a grand slam since 2008 and hasn't made this stage of Wimbledon since 2009.

Konta is 3-2 up in matches between the two but I think their last meetings was at the Rome Masters which Venus won.

However, Venus is the only player left who has actually won Wimbles. Even at 37 she still looks to be playing pretty well. Although I think Konta can beat anyone, it never really looked like she was going to win yesterday - she does try to hit everything as hard as possible, giving her lots of unforced errors. I think she needs a bit more subtlety and variation in the game, but if she keeps on winning, what the hell do I know.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
However, Venus is the only player left who has actually won Wimbles. Even at 37 she still looks to be playing pretty well. Although I think Konta can beat anyone, it never really looked like she was going to win yesterday - she does try to hit everything as hard as possible, giving her lots of unforced errors. I think she needs a bit more subtlety and variation in the game, but if she keeps on winning, what the hell do I know.

In fairness I think against Halep the only way she was going to win was by hitting through her. Had she toned it down a little and tried to construct the points more meticulously then I think Halep as the better mover and craftier player would have been able to pick her apart.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That there was, but also so many winners.

Yes, I know. Many years ago I was flamed on here for suggesting that women's football isn't very good (well, it was England, so...), yet in the ensuing years I became a big paralympics fan. Maybe it has something to do with expectations. I don't expect a bloke with a leg missing to be able to match the Bolt, but on the other hand I don't see why someone who need fewer sets to win, and is technically and physically less up to it than a bloke can expect equal pay, even if they are made to do the same work (5 sets). Perhaps I'd be kinder to womens' tennis if it were treated in reward more like lower league football. As it is, paying Murray the same as a woman I have never hard of is a testament to Billie Jean King, but makes about as much sense as paying Ethan Pinnock £250K a week. If it weren't for the money I'd say nothing and I may even be able to enjoy it. As it is, it seems odd and irritating. Can anyone name 5 sports (I mean muscle-dependent sports, not bowls, darts, or snooker) where the women are paid the same as men (edit do even women darts and snooker players earn as much as the men?). If not, why not? My guess is tennis is the exception.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Can anyone name 5 sports (I mean muscle-dependent sports, not bowls, darts, or snooker) where the women are paid the same as men (edit do even women darts and snooker players earn as much as the men?). If not, why not? My guess is tennis is the exception.

I'm not saying I agree with the equal pay or not but to counter that question, can anybody name 5 sports where the crowds watching the women's matches are equal to those watching men's matches

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not saying I agree with the equal pay or not but to counter that question, can anybody name 5 sports where the crowds watching the women's matches are equal to those watching men's matches

1. Cooking.
2. Cleaning.
3. Ironing.
4. Sewing.
5. Mud wrestling.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Murray going into reverse. He could have had his feet up by now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Murray in all sorts of trouble. Loses 4th set 6-1, into the 5th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here