Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indietracks Festival / all things C86 and indiepop!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And nice to see this thread back. Anyone got any recommendations/ 2016 favourites? I'm a bit out of touch at the moment- can't get to the stereo any more now that my daughter's discovered what it is and how to use it: "Let it go, let it goooo"

Not familiar with that one [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]

Is it Bogshed?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That's quite good. Young people today though, eh?

I love these kids. Great on stage, intelligent, driven (but not in a horrible way) and just an utter delight to deal with.

Plus A GOOD DANIEL JOHNSTON COVER
And a song with lyrics that take the piss out of the reductive grunge revival whilst playing grunge.

Yeah but aside from that, young people, bah humbug.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
I love these kids. Great on stage, intelligent, driven (but not in a horrible way) and just an utter delight to deal with.

Plus A GOOD DANIEL JOHNSTON COVER
And a song with lyrics that take the piss out of the reductive grunge revival whilst playing grunge.

Yeah but aside from that, young people, bah humbug.

Don't mind me, I'm just practising for when I turn 50.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
According to this https://scopitones.co.uk/portfolio-item/concertography/concertography-twp-1987 it was ULU. It also tells me that I saw them 4 days earlier at Sheffield Uni

Yes, the 1987 gig was at ULU, supported by Talulah Gosh, The Wigs and North of Cornwallis. Didn't know where the Bizarro gig was though - until I just looked it up using your link: 1st or 2nd November 1989 at Kilburn. I particularly remember details of the 1987 gig because (a) it was my birthday, and (b) I bought a poster advertising the gig which was on my bedroom wall for many years. Coincidentally, I bought a MASSIVE Bizarro poster at the 1989 gig as well, which was also a fixture on my bedroom wall for a good long while.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
You might like this, @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=2040" target="_blank">Staly</a>. It's been on YouTube for exactly one year and one day, but it's pretty new to me, and I bloody love it. They've got other bits on there worth checking too.

Yes I like that.

I like this too- 33 views on Youtube!

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Exciting! Can't remember when I first saw them. It was at the Top Rank a bit after that ....88-ish?

Going to see them at the Boiler room in a couple of weeks and then Edge of the Sea where there will be playing George Best on the Friday night.

I saw them at the Escape Club in 1986, it may of been an early 'Apple Orchard' gig, but not on the official George Best tour. They came back to Brighton at the Pavillion Theatre for the 'Turn It Up' Christmas Party in December 1987. I still have a recording of that, and remember that the annoying noise in between songs was my mate who repeatedly blew a party blower in an attempt to somehow say he was on the radio. I would imagine that Jem Stone was probably involved in the latter gig.

I was there too. Gedge played in his shorts and someone 'fell' from the balcony. That's about all I remember. Saw them a few times before that during Big Twang nights. Often first on as support. Going to see them play George Best at Roundhouse in June and Edge Of The Sea. Fall fans may like to know Brix E Smith is support for Roundhouse gig. Great to see this thread up and about again.

First time I saw The Wedding Present was 1985 at the Escape with Age of Chance. David Gedge broke two strings during the first song. Or possibly that was the second time. Either way, it was the first time that someone other than a parent told me they loved me. Awww...

Yes, the 1987 gig was at ULU, supported by Talulah Gosh, The Wigs and North of Cornwallis. Didn't know where the Bizarro gig was though - until I just looked it up using your link: 1st or 2nd November 1989 at Kilburn. I particularly remember details of the 1987 gig because (a) it was my birthday, and (b) I bought a poster advertising the gig which was on my bedroom wall for many years. Coincidentally, I bought a MASSIVE Bizarro poster at the 1989 gig as well, which was also a fixture on my bedroom wall for a good long while.

Some good stories in there...
Don't forget to get in touch through the site if you fancy being involved. Be nice not to have to do all the interviews up North!
https://andrewjezard.com/gb30/

The documentary is very much focusing on the 'George Best' album itself and its enduring legacy on the wider music scene but also on the very personal relationships people have with the album and the lyrics... What it meant to people then, what it means to them now all these years later?

Having seen the crowds at the 20th anniversary tour I was very interested to see that so many people were there who had clearly lived it first time round and yet the lyrics still seemed so important to them. The documentary has been in my mind ever since.

Thanks again.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Sorry to intrude again but my Wedding Present documentary due out in October finally has a new home as of today:
www.somethingleftbehind.com

Have a look if interested...

There's also links to usual social media on there too (facebook, twitter, instagram)
Any help with spreading the word would be enormously appreciated at this stage.

Thanks.
As you were.

GB30_Poster_SOCIAL.jpg

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I saw The Jasmine Minks on Saturday night up in Preston (a mate lives there so I combined the gig with a visit). They were actually pretty damn good - they did the whole of the "Another Age" album, which was released 30yrs ago and then finished off with a lot of their earlier material - Cold Heart, Think etc. Before we started The Forum in Tunbridge Wells, we used to put on shows at various places around the town, The Jasmine Minks were the second band we ever put on so they have a place in my heart. I managed to find some photos of the original show they did for us and took them along for the band to see. I have to report the band are all genuinely decent blokes and I had a good laugh with them - a decent way to spend a Saturday night following the Newcastle and Huddersfield results!

If anyone is able to, I'd recommend popping along to The Lexington in London next Sat night as the band will be performing there.

https://youtu.be/XKoS3I-Yidg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I saw The Jasmine Minks on Saturday night up in Preston (a mate lives there so I combined the gig with a visit). They were actually pretty damn good - they did the whole of the "Another Age" album, which was released 30yrs ago and then finished off with a lot of their earlier material - Cold Heart, Think etc. Before we started The Forum in Tunbridge Wells, we used to put on shows at various places around the town, The Jasmine Minks were the second band we ever put on so they have a place in my heart. I managed to find some photos of the original show they did for us and took them along for the band to see. I have to report the band are all genuinely decent blokes and I had a good laugh with them - a decent way to spend a Saturday night following the Newcastle and Huddersfield results!

If anyone is able to, I'd recommend popping along to The Lexington in London next Sat night as the band will be performing there.

https://youtu.be/XKoS3I-Yidg

Lexington is great venue for bands. Saw The Loft play there last year. I never really got into The Jasmin Minks but saw them a few times back in the day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Before we started The Forum in Tunbridge Wells, we used to put on shows at various places around the town, The Jasmine Minks were the second band we ever put on so they have a place in my heart. I managed to find some photos of the original show they did for us and took them along for the band to see. I have to report the band are all genuinely decent blokes and I had a good laugh with them - a decent way to spend a Saturday night following the Newcastle and Huddersfield results!

This was at Grosvenor Rec presumably? I didn't go to that - no idea why not, think The Flatmates was my first "Rumble Club", but I can't really remember. What was the first ever gig - Big Pop Trotsky??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here