Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think Clinton must be even more unpopular than we thought - that must be as big as factor as any attraction that voting Trump has.
This is a major part of the problem. Two truly awful candidates, mix that in with a tide of populism and discontent with the establishment, and Trump, even though so clearly a dreadful candidate, could be the only winner.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't know enough about the US situation to comment definitively, but Bernie Sanders would have been a Change candidate, too, but then he would be dismissed as a "Commie".

because he is, Sanders is as much of a change candidate as Corbyn, change back to the 70's.......... In a similar vein to brexit, this isn't just a vote for the outsider (trump) for many its a protest vote against something (disliked Clinton) (Establishment).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Because....believe it or not.....he is less corrupt than Clinton. She stinks to high heaven and the people didn't want her.
I must admit to knowing few exact details on Hilary Clinton's misdemeanours however, I am far more concerned by the admitted failings of Donald Trump which he somehow manages to twist to show that he is the fittest person to lead America.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Plus ISIS causing havoc. And little ole Britain will soon be independent and have to stand alone when world war 3 comes along.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
So you are basing our defence policy on the EU rather than NATO ? Scary........

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not a fan of Trump, but I can understand why he won. Americans are fed up with the establishment, fed up with big government, fed up with uncontrolled immigration. They want their country back. Fair enough. So do I. I want my country back. I don't want my hard earned money being handed out willy-nilly around the world to corrupt governments and dictators in the form of "foreign aid". I don't want my money being handed out to lazy work-shy individuals who believe the world owes them a living. I don't want any more immigration into this country unless they are people we really need who can bring something very positive to the UK. I don't want Political Correctness ruling the roost. I don't want faith schools. I could go on ....

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
British Trump Bashers - You Lose?

that has been true to a degree, but now no longer.

The Republicans have controlled the house of representatives and the senate which is akin to coalition, President Obama struggled to force through many things as the opposition controlled the law making parts of federal government.....

No longer, you have republican lower houses, and a misogynistic, sexist, racially divisive, self serving capitalist, Putin arse licker running the most powerful nation on earth, a man who wants to tear up the established world orders security pacts with allies that have prevented Russian adventurism into Europe to fulfil Putins ambitions to reinvent the USSR, to tear up trade deals with allies, abandon key green initiatives on this planet we all live on. A loud mouthed, act first think later, fake tanned divisive buffoon, is commander in chief of the worlds current major super power, he has the nuclear codes, he has a clear path to push through legislation and the world we live and its established orders, has just become a lot more volatile.

If you thought George dubya was bad (and he was), this really takes the biscuit.

Let's hope someone shoots the **** before he can do too much damage.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm not a fan of Trump, but I can understand why he won. Americans are fed up with the establishment, fed up with big government, fed up with uncontrolled immigration. They want their country back. Fair enough. So do I. I want my country back. I don't want my hard earned money being handed out willy-nilly around the world to corrupt governments and dictators in the form of "foreign aid". I don't want my money being handed out to lazy work-shy individuals who believe the world owes them a living. I don't want any more immigration into this country unless they are people we really need who can bring something very positive to the UK. I don't want Political Correctness ruling the roost. I don't want faith schools. I could go on ....

Top post.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
What a lot of people have chosen to ignore, both here re Brexit and over the pond, now, is that the world is undergoing a change. For a very long time the ruling elite have got more powerful and less interested in the welfare of the people they represent. They have relied on the passivity of the electorate, who for years have been seduced into thinking micro rather than macro. The ' I'm alright, sod the rest of you attitude ' and as society has been encouraged to become more selfish, more self-orientated, so divisions have grown into chasms. Whole communities feel cut off from the centres of power. They feel a loss of identity and a loss of self-esteem and self-worth. Anger and frustration grow and eventually it boils over into a massive protest vote.
Those that are happy with their lot see no need to change anything. Keep voting in the same elite, Establishment figures and the dinner parties, the holidays, the public education, the private healthcare and the golf and tennis club memberships can just keep rolling on. Clinton was seen as the Establishment figure. Happy to furnish her own nest to the tune of £150m, whilst displaying all the arrogant signs of an untouchable elite. Trump's outspoken honesty, however controversial and devisive it appeared, appealed to more people than the sleazy status quo of Clinton.

The ruling elite have always been powerful, it has never changed. They are insulated by their wealth and connections whether they preside over a feudal, totalitarian or democratic society. People can vote for who they want but it won't impact the ruling elite. Donald Trump is the epitome of the ruling elite, he may be new rich not old rich and he may appeal more to the common person but their lot will not change with him in power.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
:lolol:

Come off it, Farage went to the private Dulwich College and was a member of the Conservative Party till 1992. Trump owns significant portions of real estate across America. They are merely pursuing a tried and tested method of getting to power. Target the disenfrachised, give them a defined enemy, feed them some nice simple soundbites (truth optional), present the whole world as a massive conspiracy and yourself as the answer to it all. Have a look at who else in history used this sort of approach.

The luck - or opportunity - for both was that they were against terrible opposition. No one trusted Cameron. Osborne told worse lies than the leave campaign. Corbyn couldn't have cared less about remain and Clinton was arguably worse than Trump. It's not a co-incidence that he didn't run against Obama.
Corbin went to private school, Blair, Hartman,half the bloody Labour Party have, so what's your point GB ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The ruling elite have always been powerful, it has never changed. They are insulated by their wealth and connections whether they preside over a feudal, totalitarian or democratic society. People can vote for who they want but it won't impact the ruling elite. Donald Trump is the epitome of the ruling elite, he may be new rich not old rich and he may appeal more to the common person but their lot will not change with him in power.

Yep

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My flabber is well and truly agast.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
farage_2572535b_3567184b.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

The Russian peasants wanted their country back in 1917 and backed Lenin, the only gig in town having no idea who or what he was, other than a challenger to the established order. The Germans wanted their country and their national pride back in 1936, we know the rest.

The americans may want "their country back", whatever that means? but have they got it back or have they just been sucked in by populist, nationalist rhetoric with no idea what it is they voted for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here