Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This "sickie"bollocks was put to bed months ago,the reason for lack of available staff is due to Southern not employing enough staff to cover the agreed timetable,the "sickie"nonsense is not even rolled out by southern anymore,just bitter,swivel eyed Daily Mail readers that cannot look beyond a headline.

Wrong. I had sympathy. I now had none.

Lets not forget there is now a reduced timetable in place.

Wrong. I had sympathy. I now had none.

Lets not forget there is now a reduced timetable in place.

The reason that a reduced (emergency)timetable is in place is due to southern being 25% down on staff.
This timetable has been in place for 2 months now,must be one hell of an emergency,as I said ,bitter Mail readers not bothering to look beyond the headlines.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Please provide ONE shred of evidence that excessive sickness is taking place. Southern have failed to provide any figures and admitted that they are short of staff. "Shortage of train crew" is not evidence.

I don't think customers care what the excuse is anymore. All they want is the government, Govia and the employees to deliver the service they have paid, often at a highly inflated price, for to get them from A to B ...... ON TIME !!! It's a simple concept and one none of the previously mentioned parties seem to understand.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] & [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION],

Regardless of the reason behind it, this is all about the current government declaring war on the union by the back door. Southern is not a franchise, it is merely the name of the license the government have given Govia to run the trains. Under the terms, Govia are no longer incentivised to maximise passenger numbers or fare revenue. All they are required to do is attempt to run a bare minimum train service and implement government directives - one of those is to implement DOO.

So the reason I am saying all of that is, as tempting as it is to blame union intransigence for this, I personally can't do it. I am not always impressed with the way the unions go to strike over trivial reasons at the expense of the commuter, but the problem here is that the government are washing their hands of a problem they have created: they have handed over management of industrial relations to Govia, who are proving as incompetent at that as they are of everything else.

I often say to myself "I don't care whose fault it is, just sort it out" - implying Govia and the Unions are of equal blame. But that's not fair - it is the governments doing and in particular I object to the devious way the government have gone about conducting this ideological war. If you want to do that, let the public have some transparency. Say what you like about Thatcher's miners striker, but at least she was up front about her reasons and why her government felt it was war worth winning. This is just pure gutless dishonesty from the government of the day.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Please provide ONE shred of evidence that excessive sickness is taking place. Southern have failed to provide any figures and admitted that they are short of staff. "Shortage of train crew" is not evidence.

David Boyle's blog that you and others are so keen on quoting recently stated "As I understand it, the sickness levels among frontline staff have now sunk back to pre-dispute levels". This means:

1. Sickness was at abnormally high levels for a period of time (despite your, and other, protestations that it wasn't).
2. It may be back down again. Who knows.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
David Boyle's blog that you and others are so keen on quoting recently stated "As I understand it, the sickness levels among frontline staff have now sunk back to pre-dispute levels". This means:

1. Sickness was at abnormally high levels for a period of time (despite your, and other, protestations that it wasn't).

I did see that and raised an eyebrow. It certainly isn't proof and he has argued before that there hadn't been abnormally high levels of sickness. Again, speaking to managers and seeing my colleagues in and working on a day to day basis I can only say as I see and when Southern have been pressed for any actual figures they have refused to provide them. What I have seen is a lot of guards moving on over the past 6 months or so, to become drivers, managers, changing jobs, retiring or taking voluntary redundancy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dr I hurt my back.

Here is a note take a month off.

Of course, as with any job someone can try to con a long term sickness status out of their employee. I'm sure SASTA have harsh procedures for dealing with long term sickness issues.

What the SASTA employees cannot do is phone up in the morning *with flu* unless they haul themselves down to the surgery with a sniffle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I did see that and raised an eyebrow. It certainly isn't proof and he has argued before that there hadn't been abnormally high levels of sickness..

Ah, I see. He's good, insightful and has his finger on the pulse. Right up to the point he says something you don't like. Understood.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Interviewed on BBC South East Today

Chris Grayling spoke up today!

"Its not for me to tell the management of this line and the unions exactly how to do their job! We are funding new trains, we're funding modernisation across the whole rail network, there are new stations opening, there are new lines opening, there are new trains being delivered across the country, i want a modern railway that is good for passengers; i don't want trade unions messing up passengers lives by striking unnecessarily, there are no jobs at risk, there's no money at risk, this is all about unions jockeying for position that should not be happening."

Interesting opening and closing statement!

As Bozza said and i posted last month its clear whats really going on if you listen!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Do you have any evidence of the sickness levels rising ? You keep repeating this , so is it something you have as fact or just repeating media lies.

What is a fact is that CEO Charles Horton was asked about abnormal sickness levels at the HOC committee and couldn't back up what he was saying with facts which supported this assumption.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Of course, as with any job someone can try to con a long term sickness status out of their employee. I'm sure SASTA have harsh procedures for dealing with long term sickness issues.

What the SASTA employees cannot do is phone up in the morning *with flu* unless they haul themselves down to the surgery with a sniffle.

Really ? SASTA employees aren't allowed to self certify for the first five days of sickness as is the law ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really ? SASTA employees aren't allowed to self certify for the first five days of sickness as is the law ?

I don't mean any disrepect at all, but it feels to me as if you're looking for reasons to blame the union. Honestly, in this instance for the reasons I've outlined, I don't think you're being very fair.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Shout out to South Eastern who were providing passengers and staff with free ice lollies at Charing Cross yesterday

and owned by the same parent company, so just why does Southern/GTR get things so wrong? :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
and owned by the same parent company, so just why does Southern/GTR get things so wrong? :shrug:

Because South Eastern value their passengers and staff whereas Southern just see them as an annoyance standing in the way of shareholder profits and director bonuses?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here